Wiki Posts
Search

Q. 'How do you lose Tourists?' A. 'Charge them $US135 to enter.'

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2010, 1:27 pm

Avoid both Argentina and Chile fees:

Fly into MDZ via SCL transit.

When visiting Chile, take the bus IN.

Buku US dollars saved on both sides which can buy some nice beef based in Argentina and seafood based in Chile meals along with decent wine, or maybe an extra couple of days of lodging, an additional excursion, dropping more dollars into the pockets of locals at their artesanal shops, etc.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 2:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Do we really need another thread thrashing out the same arguments already discussed to death here?

Originally Posted by ozstamps
Even if I knew about this stupid charge, ....
I can't believe you didn't. You have posted numerous times in the Argentina forum during 2010 and the visa reciprocity fee thread has been in a prominent position on the front page of the forum since last year

Last edited by cblaisd; Apr 29, 2010 at 1:37 pm Reason: Removed quote-of and response to now-deleted material
Old Apr 14, 2010, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY

If you don't want to pay it don't bloody come then.
PLENTY of folks will not come when knowledge of this fee spreads.

I visited Argentina twice last year, and have just learned of it.

One does not need to be tight fisted to choose not to pay $US400 to transit EZE twice as we are right now.

Just stupid.

I have not flown into London either since that idiotic gouge on Business class departure taxes was added. Again I have a choice.

I've spent many $1000s in Argy that I'll now spend somewhere else.

I've just sent a message to TACA to try and re-route our UIO-LIM-EZE a day later so we stay in transit to USA/OZ at EZE.

Argy loses cab fares, a $200 a night Sheraton room, and meals and souveniers etc.

AND the $200 fee. Just a decision made today.

Brilliant tourism targeting.

I am spending $10,000 for a week in Ecuador on a Galapagos cruise etc -- guess what -- no Visa fees gouged me before I stepped into the country.

Glen
Old Apr 14, 2010, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by HIDDY

If you don't want to pay it don't bloody come then.
Or continue to discuss ways to legally avoid it in forums such as this and ignore people who seem to think that because they have a particular point of view, then others who have a different point of view shouldn't continue to discuss it here.

Perhaps if you are fed up reading about the lengths........then take your own advice and don't bloody come to the thread.

I do agree that a 2nd thread on the subject though is not really that necessary - where are the people from Mergers and Acquisitions?
Old Apr 14, 2010, 9:31 pm
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
I am spending $10,000 for a week in Ecuador on a Galapagos cruise etc -- guess what -- no Visa fees gouged me before I stepped into the country.

Glen
...there is a charge of US$100 tax per person payable on arrival in the Galapagos Islands. Also to control traffic to the Galapagos there is a Galapagos Transit Control Card which costs US$10 per person. Therefore the total cost payable locally is US$110...
Just FYI Glen I know, as I'm researching a similar cruise to the Galapagos next year...which company are you going with? (might ask your opinion / advise after your trip)

PS: I too had to pay the USD100 x2 reciprocity tax recently when I visited BsAs...I wouldn't have minded so much if it was valid for 10 years like for US passport holders but it certainly puts pay to any future quick transits through EZE
Old Apr 14, 2010, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

kpc ... As I have discovered TACA and LAN have flights to Quito that allow you to transit EZE and pay the greedy sods zero $$$s.

With Galapagos cruises, they are really pricey, very many $1000s a person for 7 days, as near all are small 16 person type Catamarans.

The trick is not to book too early as there are seldom any meaningful discounts.

Leave it to a few weeks out and you can pick and choose at often half regular rate. Those deals often include air to the islands, which is about $1000 a couple.

I found a couple of superb Ecuador agents who speak perfect English and are incredibly helpful. I'll pass them on if you contact me when back home.

The one I used agreed today to deal with TACA, to re-fare us to avoid paying many $100s in to the Argy economy as Plan "A" had us down for, and we did not even book the tickets through her.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 11:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Originally Posted by kpc
Just FYI Glen I know, as I'm researching a similar cruise to the Galapagos next year...which company are you going with? (might ask your opinion / advise after your trip)

And don't forget that you will be grossly overcharged by the Ecuadorian airline which has the monopoly on the flight out to the islands....

Last edited by Doc Savage; Apr 14, 2010 at 11:19 pm
Old Apr 14, 2010, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Doc Savage

And don't forget that you will be grossly overcharged by the Ecuadorian airline which has the monopoly on the flight out to the islands....

I last visited the Galapagos about 20 years back and the same kind of high entry fee applied. It was $75 as I recall, and with with inflation is way over $150 now.

GREAT. It is one of the best managed natural resources on earth. And the entry fee heps keep it that way.

There are a couple of carriers to Galapagos, each with many daily flights to both airports there.

As I posted above, the flights are often tossed in free anyway, along with $$$ discounts.

http://www.galapagosislands.com/html...portation.html

The flights run about $US400 RT from Quito and are much cheaper from Guayaquil ... both many hours in the air.

I see you are a top elite with UA and AA.

Want me to list a few dozen city to city pairs that AA and UA charge a GREAT deal more than that for.. for a LOT less flying.

Last edited by cblaisd; Apr 29, 2010 at 1:40 pm Reason: Removed off-topic materials, personal and uncivil remarks directed to another FTer. Unnecessary
Old Apr 15, 2010, 5:05 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Well oddly I do not live in this forum.

My posts stand, merged or not, and whether you like them or not.

And I repeat charging tourists to enter the country (on top of the hefty departure fee) will cost the country a LOT of $$$s more than it raises, is my guess.

A dumb move, and one they may well re-consider IMHO.
It certainly costs Argentina some customers. If it costs Argentina a lot, at least then there will be a window in which there will be lower airfares to/from EZE and more award space availability -- especially on AC.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 11:30 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Ive known Glen for about 10 years now... and while he is a great guy you do have to take his posts with a pinch of salt from time to time....

Glen, Im sorry you seem to not want to come back to Argentina... I dont know if the country will miss you, but I do know that I certainly will. You are a good friend and I hope you reconsider your decision.

To return back on topic... one thing where I think you should be corrected is that there is no hard evidence that this reciprocity fee has any serious impact on tourism volume.... and I am certain that the visitor statistics will confirm this in due time.

Its clear you are displeased and may choose to not come back to Argentina, but it is my understanding that a very large majority of tourists will not stop from coming to Buenos Aires because of this fee. Not to offend you... but your anger over this, no matter how strong, is not a valid sample of the universe of visitors to Argentina... The value proposition in Argentina, even with the fee is still very very attractive to most folks that can do their budget math in hard currency.... and this situation is likely to continue for while.

Cheers,
Alex / Gaucho100K
Old Apr 15, 2010, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Ive known Glen for about 10 years now... and while he is a great guy you do have to take his posts with a pinch of salt from time to time....

Glen, Im sorry you seem to not want to come back to Argentina... I dont know if the country will miss you, but I do know that I certainly will. You are a good friend and I hope you reconsider your decision.

To return back on topic... one thing where I think you should be corrected is that there is no hard evidence that this reciprocity fee has any serious impact on tourism volume.... and I am certain that the visitor statistics will confirm this in due time.

Its clear you are displeased and may choose to not come back to Argentina, but it is my understanding that a very large majority of tourists will not stop from coming to Buenos Aires because of this fee. Not to offend you... but your anger over this, no matter how strong, is not a valid sample of the universe of visitors to Argentina... The value proposition in Argentina, even with the fee is still very very attractive to most folks that can do their budget math in hard currency.... and this situation is likely to continue for while.

Cheers,
Alex / Gaucho100K
Agree with you 100% on all your points but would also add that there is no hard evidence that the imposition of reciprocity fees by governments will have any effect on the decisions of other governments to require visas of Argentinian nationals. I'd go even further to say that the one thing that will effect the decisions of other governments in this regard is the election and maintenance in power of politicians who allow Argentina to achieve its potential rather than the corrupt and self-interested lot that have been swapping power for god knows how many years that have driven the country into bankruptcy or allowed national and multinational companies to rip the wealth out of the country while these same politicians have been skimming off their kickbacks.

When Argentinians have the natural incentive to remain in their country and share in its wealth rather than line up for visas to flee elsewhere because their government is looking after anything but those same Argentinians' interests then maybe some other countries won't require visas of Argentinians (Won't apply to Australia of course because we don't discriminate - we are nasty to everyone except New Zealanders ) To punish everyday Canadians,Americans and Australians because you keep electing a group of self-serving criminals to run your country doesn't seem equitable over here in this land of the fair go.

That was some rant I know - and now I'll accept the monicker of a bear with a sore head

Last edited by 3544quebec; Apr 15, 2010 at 12:13 pm
Old Apr 15, 2010, 12:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by 3544quebec
That was some rant I know - and now I'll accept the monicker of a bear with a sore head
As long as the sun keeps shining and the Malbec keeps flowing I shall stay in this country. The pluses outweigh the negatives compared to the nanny state that exists in the UK.

Life is too short to worry about little things like politics anyway.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
What I think may be affected are people traveling multi-country to A B and C. 2 reciprocity fees plus a visa fee, times 3 or 4, can get pretty steep. For the cruise set, they just get hit once, either SCL or EZE, so it wouldn't affect that much.

Last edited by cblaisd; Apr 29, 2010 at 1:44 pm Reason: Off-topic materials removed
Old Apr 16, 2010, 3:53 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Argentine passport users can travel visa and/or visa-fee free to a large number of countries, and in some cases even visa and/or visa-free where American, Canadian and Australian passport users need to get a visa and pay a visa fee. Then again that isn't exactly surprising given there are far more (and higher proportion of) American, Canadians and Australians violating the law in terms of immigration and/or otherwise there than Argentines doing the same there.

Reciprocity is the name of the game, but at least with Argentina, there are legal ways around the fees for US, Canadian and Australian citizens. The same is not true for Argentines wanting to visit the US, Canada or Australia.

Originally Posted by Rambuster
Perhaps OT here, but once the US imposes their mandatory fee for the ESTA approval (to promote tourism!!), I for once certainly think the EU should impose a similar fee just for US passport holders wanting to enter the EU !

Let's see how that impacts tourism !?
...and whilst we're at it, let's start fingerprinting US passport holders too (and only those)...
... and if this Iceland volcano decides to act up in a big way for a long time, the impact on tourism from that will overshadow the impact of fascist marching ahead in Europe again.

Some of us US passport holders will be exempted for about as long as EU
passport holders.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 8:34 pm

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
No.

It is about short sighted stupidity.

I am sure Ecuador and Peru and Venezuela citizens pay to enter USA or OZ but they have the BRAINS not to try and gouge that back.

Lets see .. Americans visiting Ecuador for Galapagos cruises etc will be 50 times the number Ecuadorian visiting the USA.

You do not have to be a Harvard MBA to work out you do not want to stop THEM coming, as each cruise and airfare runs $4,000 a person minimum.

Same with Macchu Picchu and Cuzco.

Glen
Well, I agree with your stand, but I would certainly not say that Peru doesn't gouge money from tourists. The fee to enter MP is ridiculous, not to mention the train fare and the Gringo airfares (at least on LAN). Plus, one can no longer do an independent trek; instead, must sign up with an approved, govt guide.

Just like Bhutan, I fear Peru will stay on the backburner for me. Much more feasible to visit, say, Pakistan or even Afghanistan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.