FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Q. 'How do you lose Tourists?' A. 'Charge them $US135 to enter.'
Old Apr 14, 2010, 11:36 pm
ozstamps
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Doc Savage

And don't forget that you will be grossly overcharged by the Ecuadorian airline which has the monopoly on the flight out to the islands....

I last visited the Galapagos about 20 years back and the same kind of high entry fee applied. It was $75 as I recall, and with with inflation is way over $150 now.

GREAT. It is one of the best managed natural resources on earth. And the entry fee heps keep it that way.

There are a couple of carriers to Galapagos, each with many daily flights to both airports there.

As I posted above, the flights are often tossed in free anyway, along with $$$ discounts.

http://www.galapagosislands.com/html...portation.html

The flights run about $US400 RT from Quito and are much cheaper from Guayaquil ... both many hours in the air.

I see you are a top elite with UA and AA.

Want me to list a few dozen city to city pairs that AA and UA charge a GREAT deal more than that for.. for a LOT less flying.

Last edited by cblaisd; Apr 29, 2010 at 1:40 pm Reason: Removed off-topic materials, personal and uncivil remarks directed to another FTer. Unnecessary