Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEC Shutdown delayed Two Days

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2008, 10:52 am

Exclamation Is anyone trusting Amtrak while this is unfinished?

Am I wrong or have they basically created a situation where at some unknown point in the future they are going to cancel most or all trains between NYC and BOS for four days. I keep thinking that I will get stranded on the other side of where I need to be if I try to rely on them. They are selling tickets on trains they will eventually cancel but will leave it to the inconvenienced passenger to figure out alternative routing.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA(PPro), UA, AGR, BW(Plat), HH, WoH, MB(S)
If the Monday to Thursday, June 24 to 27 shutdown comes off as planned, and if the new lift span is in place come Friday, then from the NEC passenger standpoint, this bridge is a done-deal and future shutdowns will not be a risk.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 10:20 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AGR
Originally Posted by the_traveler
Shoreline East did at one point run trains from OSB to NLC. However, due to the limited lifting allowed of the Connecticut River drawbridge (just east of the OSB station), they discontinued service (on SLE) to NLC.

You can still use your SLE tickets on regular Amtrak runs between OSB and NLC - but IIRC only on 2 trains. But they are Amtrak trains - not SLE trains - between the 2! And since they are Amtrak trains, and those are not running, there is no rail service during the closure between OSB and NLC!
One train listed as going to New London on http://www.shorelineeast.com/trains.htm , and another listed on the eastbound timetable, are not labeled as Amtrak trains, and do not show up if you do an Amtrak search between NLC and OSB. Is this in error?
Old Jun 23, 2008, 5:43 pm

Programs: Peon in all
Originally Posted by lexande
One train listed as going to New London on http://www.shorelineeast.com/trains.htm , and another listed on the eastbound timetable, are not labeled as Amtrak trains, and do not show up if you do an Amtrak search between NLC and OSB. Is this in error?
I guess that 1 train is either new or I didn't notice it before! I really don't know. But it could run, as NLC is before the bridge closure.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 5:48 pm

Programs: Peon in all
Originally Posted by PHLviaUS
If the Monday to Thursday, June 24 to 27 shutdown comes off as planned, and if the new lift span is in place come Friday, then from the NEC passenger standpoint, this bridge is a done-deal and future shutdowns will not be a risk.
Don't forget this bridge (over the Thames) is ~100 years old! Although this one will be done, there are 3 more in CT that are also ~100 years old. (But there are no plans currently to replace them.)
Old Jun 26, 2008, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
It looks as if the replacement work is underway!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.