Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Food on the sleeper

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2007, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Food on the sleeper

When you travel on the sleeper it is my understanding that food is free. Does that include beverages, deserts, and side orders?
Old Aug 8, 2007, 10:38 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards, US Airways Dividend Miles, Choice Hotels, Hertz #1
All that you mentioned is included. As an added item, they do not charge extra for that odd couple they sit across from you. The only thing I have paid for is a glass of wine and of course a tip for the server.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 11:38 am

Programs: Peon in all
Originally Posted by PhilaBurbTom
they do not charge extra for that odd couple they sit across from you.
I know you couldn't be talking about me - because I travel alone!
The only thing I have paid for is a glass of wine and of course a tip for the server.
Yes, everything else is included, including desert!
Old Aug 8, 2007, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

However beer/wine is not? If that is the case will they let me bring my own bottle to dinner?
Old Aug 8, 2007, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ClimbGuy
However beer/wine is not? If that is the case will they let me bring my own bottle to dinner?
Alcoholic beverages must be paid for.
You may not consume your own alcoholic beverages in any public part of the train, so, no, you may not bring your own bottle to dinner. You may, however, enjoy your bottle in your roommette or bedroom.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

on that note how big a cooler will fit in a bedroom and can they provide ice?
Old Aug 8, 2007, 9:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
on that note how big a cooler will fit in a bedroom and can they provide ice?
I took the Empire Builder SEA-CHI in May and had no problem getting a bucket of ice from the sleeping car attendant (who also did a great job keeping it filled up daily! ^). There's plenty of room onboard for a small cooler or big bucket. The dining car staff was even happy to loan us two wine glasses for the journey. Overall, a great crew and a great experience.

-FlyerBeek
Old Aug 9, 2007, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

I have been reading some trip reports and they say that there are wine and cheese taistings for sleeper pax. Is this something they do on all overnights?
Old Aug 9, 2007, 8:43 pm

It's only offered on the EB (not any other train) for sleeping car passengers.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by the_traveler
Don't they have some special adult beverage offerings in the Pacific Parlour car on the Coast Starlight? If so, are they free or will they set you back some shekels?
Old Aug 10, 2007, 5:15 am
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
Originally Posted by jackal
Originally Posted by the_traveler
Don't they have some special adult beverage offerings in the Pacific Parlour car on the Coast Starlight? If so, are they free or will they set you back some shekels?
The Coast Starlight does indeed still have a wine tasting, in fact it started the tradition. If there is a Pacific Parlour Car (PPC), then it will usually take place in there. If there is no PPC, then it will take place in the dining car.

The Empire Builder doesn't have a PPC, so it always takes place in the diner.

Otherwise, the only other Amtrak Long Distance train that offers free alcohol, is the Auto Train where it is served with dinner in the dining car.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 7:13 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards
On the NB CS in June they had a second lounge car that was being used as the Pacific Parlour. They had the wine and cheese tasting there. BTW, we have ridden the CS 4 times in less than a year and have never been on a train that had a Pacific Parlour car. Maybe we should just go to the west coast and keep riding back and forth until we hit one.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by AlanB
The Coast Starlight does indeed still have a wine tasting, in fact it started the tradition. If there is a Pacific Parlour Car (PPC), then it will usually take place in there. If there is no PPC, then it will take place in the dining car.
I wasn't aware the CS still offered the wine tastings. I thought that when they removed the PPCs (or at least de-staffed them), the wine tastings ended.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kspeed55
On the NB CS in June they had a second lounge car that was being used as the Pacific Parlour. They had the wine and cheese tasting there. BTW, we have ridden the CS 4 times in less than a year and have never been on a train that had a Pacific Parlour car. Maybe we should just go to the west coast and keep riding back and forth until we hit one.
I found some more information about the Pacific Parlour car here:http://www.trainweb.com/accommod/parlour.html

It sounds like a very nice addition to any train trip. Is there anyway of knowing when and on what routes it will be used?
Old Aug 10, 2007, 8:24 am

It sounds like a very nice addition to any train trip. Is there anyway of knowing when and on what routes it will be used?
The PPC was/is only used on the CS. Since (IIRC) only 5 were available, they were out of service for awhile, and I thought Amtrak discontinued using them. But maybe they brought (at least) some back. But again, it would only be on the CS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.