Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amtrak To Offer eTicketing, eventually

Old Feb 21, 2007, 4:48 pm
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec

A major program to introduce electronic ticketing, or eTicketing, to Amtrak has officially begun, ultimately affecting everything from reservation systems to station and on-board operations and providing greater customer convenience and flexibility.
Of course we the riding public won't start to see the changes for a while:

Many of the changes anticipated for the transition to eTicketing will not become evident to customers until 2008, when the new range of booking and ticketing options will start to appear in various sales channels.
The above quotes, along with the full story on eTicketing can be found on page 3 in this February's copy of Amtrak Ink.

Note: You must have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed to view the above link.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 1:37 am

Programs: Whatever will get me out of Y and into C or F!
Why do I think this might go the way of the Motorola on-board ticketing project???

DB (German Rail) has had e-ticketing since at least 2003, and on-board ticket checking/selling PDA terminal-thingys since 1998!!
Old Feb 22, 2007, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
eTicketing might be nice, but for those of us who mostly travel between stations with Quik Trak machines, eTicketing will only save a minute or two per trip.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 3:52 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM
Originally Posted by guv1976
eTicketing might be nice, but for those of us who mostly travel between stations with Quik Trak machines, eTicketing will only save a minute or two per trip.
Maybe the QuikTrak will be out of the picture with electronic tickets. You just board the train, show ID and the conductor looks it up and with a tap of the stylus "lifts" your e-ticket. It will certainly be interesting to see how it plays out.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 4:05 pm
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
Originally Posted by ByeByeDelta
Maybe the QuikTrak will be out of the picture with electronic tickets.
I don't think that's in the plan, since Amtrak is currently introducing the next generation of Quik-Trak machines. Several are currently in the testing phase in Washington's Union Station. I believe that they plan to roll out still more of the new machines within the next month or two.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 4:10 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM
Originally Posted by AlanB
I don't think that's in the plan, since Amtrak is currently introducing the next generation of Quik-Trak machines.
Quick to squash my dream... sniff.

I hope the new machines are deployed to new locations. Raleigh has a QuikTrak machine, but Charlotte does not. I have had to wait in line numerous times until very close to train departure.

QuikTraks would be great at unstaffed stations, but you would have to figure out how to service them should they require repair or more ticket stock. In North Carolina, I figure the station hosts could be responsible for replacing ticket stock and calling for assistance when repairs are needed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.