Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2007 Amtrak Promotions and Discounts

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2007, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just saw this on Slickdeals.net - http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?t=413211
Old Jan 29, 2007, 3:34 pm

I'm a little bit confused by this. I have AAA, but my 3 companions do not. Trying to use H644 for us, I have to enter at least 2 AAA codes in order to get the 50% for two people.

However, I just discovered that I can put my number in twice and it appears to go through. If I get them sent to me, thereby avoiding the ticket agent, would this work?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by the_traveler
I don't know of any right now, but keep watching this thread and you may see something!

Just a reminder - as long as one person in your group has AAA, all people in the group qualify for the AAA fare! (You do not each have to belong to AAA.)

I am not sure if H644 works for a discount for 3, 4 or 5. (I hope so.) If not, try booking 2 at a time. (2 on the first res, 2 more on the 2nd res, etc...) Try a test booking both ways, and see which is a lower total fare!
Old Jan 29, 2007, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by capitalsfn
If I get them sent to me, thereby avoiding the ticket agent, would this work?
I'm not a promo code expert like some others in this forum, but from what I've read and in some personal experience, all conductors ever notice on tickets is if it's valid for the trip (i.e. the correct cities and dates) and, if you've used a credit card, a signature. They probably know less about promo codes than you do. I've never had them ask for my Student Advantage card (and I use that promo often), and others on here have said they never ask for your AAA card.

So, if you've got the physical tickets in your hand, I don't think there's much Amtrak can do to stop you. Maybe others can vouch for this...?
Old Jan 29, 2007, 4:50 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
Originally Posted by capitalsfn
I'm a little bit confused by this. I have AAA, but my 3 companions do not. Trying to use H644 for us, I have to enter at least 2 AAA codes in order to get the 50% for two people.

However, I just discovered that I can put my number in twice and it appears to go through. If I get them sent to me, thereby avoiding the ticket agent, would this work?

Thanks!

I have no problem making a single reservation for 4 people using that code. Just make sure that you use the AAA rate for each person, the H644 code, and when you get to the page where it wants the AAA number for each person, you use your number on all 4 lines. The AAA discount only requires that the first person in the party have the card. Everyone else gets the discount because they are traveling together, whether or not they actually have a card.

All that said, yes you could have the tickets mailed to you if you really want to avoid any chance that an agent would give you a hard time, but it will cost you $12 to do that. However the agent should only ask for your card, as long as you paid for the all the tickets. You can also pick up the tickets for free from a Quik-Trak machine, if one is available at the station nearest you without needing to show a AAA card.

The conductor will not ask for the AAA card at all, they've already got enough other things to worry about and check, lLike your photo ID for example.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 3:56 pm

Silver Meteor (Florida) code?

Hi -

Wow. This forum is a kick-... resource. Glad I found it and thanks to all the folks who share the info.

So, I'm looking to take the Silver Meteor from Delray Beach to Kissimmee, FL on Feb 25, just me. I've scanned the thread and don't see any codes applying to this route, only to the Silver Star.

I will def keep an eye on weekly deals. But I wondered if I missed something or if anyone is aware of a code for my route. Also, if I could use the H570 code via the phone. I'm already a GR member. Thanks much!
Old Jan 30, 2007, 6:33 pm

Programs: Peon in all
Originally Posted by phillychillguy
So, I'm looking to take the Silver Meteor from Delray Beach to Kissimmee, FL on Feb 25, just me. I've scanned the thread and don't see any codes applying to this route, only to the Silver Star.
Welcome to FT, phillychillguy!

You're correct that V663 is only good on the Silver Star. I don't know of anything good for the Silver Meteor.

I will def keep an eye on weekly deals. But I wondered if I missed something or if anyone is aware of a code for my route. Also, if I could use the H570 code via the phone. I'm already a GR member. Thanks much!
H570 is no longer a good code - it expired on 12/15/06.

This year (at least so far), the majority of the promo codes are only for 2 pax and require a 3 day purchase! The only big promo code for a single traveler is 25% off for either business class or sleepers. Since the Silver service does not offer business class and I don't think you want to get a sleeper for that short a trip, even this would not help.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 1:38 am

Red face Amtrak fares to Wash DC

I am thrilled to find this site and am hoping to learn from all your train travel experience. My travel experience has been mostly via flying so I am quite ignorant about train travel.
1) Is the Amtrak schedule pretty reliable for travelling from Connecticut to Washington route on a Friday evening & Sunday morning ? (I read the posting on this forum about punctuality of Amtrak -- though I realize that was in discussion regarding a much longer distance cross country travel.)

2) Is it pretty safe for an 18yr old girl to travel alone from 5-10pm on that route ? The alternative would be to fly. I am more familiar with air travel and surprisingly the price is comparable for the times I'm interested in. It's much cheaper if compared to the express trains. However, the train travel time is probably more productive than the air travel. But maybe the work space is less ??? I don't even know what the seats are like on Amtrak !

3) How do the fares work on Amtrak (like airlines) ? I ask because when I first looked at fares over the weekend - I saw prices of $94 & $111 for the 2 travel legs. Then very late Sunday night, the $111 fare dropped to $71 and stayed there till Monday morning. I decided to book the trip ~3pm but when I tried, it disappeared...... What I expected was that from the $71 price, it would have gone to $94 before $111 in an instant. Needless to say, I was very disappointed that I didn't get the $71 fare.

4) If one books train tickets and then a discount code comes along - can that be applied to the existing reservation ? Or does it take cancelling the original reservation and rebooking ? I ask because the fares / ticket class availability could have changed in the mean time - correct ? I also ask because if one is applying for an ISIC card, it takes alittle while but I do want to risk not getting a seat by waiting.

Any insight you all could offer me would be greatly appreciated !
Old Jan 31, 2007, 1:00 pm

Welcome to FT, sstraveler!

Originally Posted by sstraveler
1) Is the Amtrak schedule pretty reliable for travelling from Connecticut to Washington route on a Friday evening & Sunday morning ? (I read the posting on this forum about punctuality of Amtrak -- though I realize that was in discussion regarding a much longer distance cross country travel.)
The schedule is reliable. On the southbound trip, you can expect to be nearly on time (at least on the departure). On the northbound trip, if your train starts in WAS (some start south of there), departure most times is on time, but it may lose some time enroute - usually not more than 1 hour.

On the Amtrak website, you can check the train status. (You can check for (IIRC) the past 3 days.)

2) Is it pretty safe for an 18yr old girl to travel alone from 5-10pm on that route ? The alternative would be to fly. I am more familiar with air travel and surprisingly the price is comparable for the times I'm interested in. It's much cheaper if compared to the express trains. However, the train travel time is probably more productive than the air travel. But maybe the work space is less ??? I don't even know what the seats are like on Amtrak!
I feel it is safer to ride a train than it is walking the street from your car/bar/restaurant/etc... to your house/apartment.

If you're more concerned with price over speed, the regional trains are much cheaper than the Acela Express (AE). The AE is faster, but may only save 30 minutes or so from your travel time - and cost 2-3 times more! I've read that many FTers say that if the company is paying, they'll take AE, but if they are paying, they take a regional. YMMV.

Each seat has a fold-down tray (like the airlines), but if you need more room, the snack car usually has tables to spread out (although they may be taken). Also unlike airlines, you do not have a specific assigned seat (ie - 23-A), so you can usually find a seat with an empty seat next to it.

The seats are bigger than most airline seats. And with more legroom! You can find info on the Amtrak website.

3) How do the fares work on Amtrak (like airlines) ? I ask because when I first looked at fares over the weekend - I saw prices of $94 & $111 for the 2 travel legs. Then very late Sunday night, the $111 fare dropped to $71 and stayed there till Monday morning. I decided to book the trip ~3pm but when I tried, it disappeared...... What I expected was that from the $71 price, it would have gone to $94 before $111 in an instant. Needless to say, I was very disappointed that I didn't get the $71 fare.
Fares on Amtrak are sold in "fare buckets". At first, the lowest "bucket" is offered, when that sells out, it goes to the next "bucket", and so on. That is whyy you may see one price for the 10 AM train and a different one for the 11 AM train and another for the noon train. But unlike airlines, if a "bucket" is available at departure time - even the lowest bucket ^ - you can buy it!

Also remember to use the most avantageous discount or promo code (such as AAA, Student Advantage, H___, V___, etc....) that will lower your fare. Keep an eye on this thread and you may see something that you can use!

4) If one books train tickets and then a discount code comes along - can that be applied to the existing reservation ? Or does it take cancelling the original reservation and rebooking ? I ask because the fares / ticket class availability could have changed in the mean time - correct ? I also ask because if one is applying for an ISIC card, it takes alittle while but I do want to risk not getting a seat by waiting.
You can always book a reservation, and if a better deal comes along cancel it. But (and this is the very important part) DO NOT PICK UP YOU TICKETS UNTIL YOU HAVE TO! The reason is once the tickets are printed, there is a penalty. But if the tickets hhave not been printed, there is no penalty.

Also remember that most promo codes must be booked using an adult fare. If you request something with a AAA fare and a promo code, you may get an error message and a fare of only 10% off when the promo code and an adult fare would give 20 or 25% off.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 7:25 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
Originally Posted by sstraveler
As the_traveler noted, Amtrak works on bucket pricing system. A certain number of seat are available at a certain price level, and once they are sold, the price jumps up for the next bunch of seats. IIRC there are 4 bucket levels on the corridor and you've seen three of those 4 levels.

To come to the sudden price swing that you saw, most likely what happened is this. Sometime after you first checked, someone who had booked a seat at that lower bucket price of $71 cancelled their reservation. That put at least one seat at that lower bucket price back into the system. That's what you saw when you looked on Sunday.

However, by the time you got around to actually booking it, someone else had come by and brought that seat. With that low bucket seat once again back in the sold column, the price for the next customer coming along then returned to the $111 bucket for a seat, since all the $94 bucket seats on that train had already been sold before you first started checking. Hence the reason you got the $111 price in the first place.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 12:06 pm

Does anyone know anything discount that could be applied for - Chicago - Austin, TX - 1 passenger, roundtrip? Thanks!
Old Feb 1, 2007, 1:19 pm

Looking for CODE

Is there a code for San Diego to Anaheim ?

Last edited by swm 1; Feb 3, 2007 at 5:57 pm
Old Feb 1, 2007, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by StBrigid
Does anyone know anything discount that could be applied for - Chicago - Austin, TX - 1 passenger, roundtrip? Thanks!
Welcome to FT, StBrigid!

The only discounts that I currently know of for 1 pax are the "regular" discounts (AAA, senior, etc...) - the only other one is only good for business class and sleepers, but must be purchased by 2/28 for travel by 3/15.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 2:10 pm

Hey thanks, the_traveler!

Well, actually could you give me the discount for the business class & sleeper? I'll see how much it is in the end and may consider it, as 29 hours is a long time to be in coach! Otherwise, I might consider flying for this one. Thanks again! And thanks for the welcome!
Old Feb 1, 2007, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by StBrigid
Hey thanks, the_traveler!

Well, actually could you give me the discount for the business class & sleeper? I'll see how much it is in the end and may consider it, as 29 hours is a long time to be in coach! Otherwise, I might consider flying for this one. Thanks again! And thanks for the welcome!
It's H644! The TE doesn't offer business class, so your only option is a sleeper (for the H644 discount) or coach. But, if you want this 25% off sleeper, you MUST call and ask for H644! (You can not book H644 for a sleeper online.) And you must be a AAA member.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 3:35 pm

Please excuse my ignorance, but who can become an AAA member, and how much does it cost? I was looking on their site, I haven't been able to find the answer yet ... I was first thinking it was something for senior citizens, and I'm in 23, so that wouldn't work ..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.