Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Continental Miles into United Miles

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2002, 6:46 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: All Airline & Hotel Programs (POINT JUNKIE!)
Continental Miles into United Miles

I just opened an Amtrak Guest Rewards program for the purpose of transfering my Continental miles into United Airline miles.
I'm doing this because I think I stand a better chance of Freq. Flyer Awards on United. In my experience, Co. is the worst in trying to redeem an award for an ordinary One-Pass member (no status). I appreciate anyone's informed comments on this.
I plan to transfer my Co. miles to Amtak - then transfer the Amtrak pts. to United (increments of 5000 pts.) Should be fairly easy to do - although Amtak did say it would take about a month for each transfer. Thanks for your comments
Old Sep 9, 2002, 7:15 pm

I'm Gold on CO, and I still think it is impossible to redeem miles on CO. I'm doing the same thing, and sending some AMEX miles through CO to Amtrak to UA as well. Hopefully, UA will stay around long enough for me to use them up.
Old Sep 10, 2002, 7:02 am

I have done the CO-->Amtrak-->UA trick in the last month and it works. While Amtrak says each step takes a month or more, in fact each step took only about a week.

CO has its pluses but you can't get a Business seat using an award unless you have status until 30 days before a flight.
Old Sep 10, 2002, 7:15 am

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
How does this work? Does it end up being 1 for 1 (UA for CO miles)?
Old Sep 10, 2002, 8:13 am

hello all you UA mileage seekers. This may be a bit more appropo in coupon connection but thought I would put out a feeler...

If Amtrak's long haul routes survive past Oct 1, which I think is the date changes or cuts were threatened, I would be interested in an Amtrak award from their program. However, I have no Amtrak or Continental points. I do, however, have lots of UA points.

Would anyone be interested in exchanging awards of equal value? (I give you a UA award and you give me an Amtrak award).

Hope the post does not offend but was curious to see if there was any interest.
Old Sep 10, 2002, 10:23 am

I have used this trick for a while now. It works. Average transfer times are 10 business days for CO->Amtrak and 5 business days for Amtrak->UA.
Old Sep 10, 2002, 3:18 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by gardener:
How does this work? Does it end up being 1 for 1 (UA for CO miles)?</font>
Any insights?

Old Sep 10, 2002, 6:13 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Gardener - YESSIR! 1 for 1 ratio.....
Old Sep 13, 2002, 10:11 am

Great find here!
But being gready as we are, let's ask the next question: will they let us to consolidate CO miles from multiple account or is stricly "same name, same account" deal.
How about these scenarios:
CO My Name -&gt; AMTRAK My Name -&gt; UA My Name (obvious), but:
CO Her Name -&gt; AMTRAK My Name -&gt; UA My Name
or
CO Her Name -&gt; AMTRAK Her Name -&gt; UA My Name

Did anyone try it ?
Old Sep 14, 2002, 10:55 am

I think the other interesting wrinkle here is:

Amex Memb Rewards -&gt; Continetal -&gt; Amtrak -&gt; United.

Amex MR normally only transfers to US, CO, and DL, but this would bring UA into the fold.
Old Sep 14, 2002, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA, Starwood, Hyatt, Starbucks Gold
I was under the impression it goes:

Am Ex &gt; Starwood &gt; United

Old Sep 14, 2002, 5:46 pm

Location: controlling the internets from an underground bunker
Programs: So l33t that I don't need a wallet full of cards to prove it. Black is the new Gold.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by lisamcgu:
Am Ex &gt; Starwood </font>
AmEx &gt; Starwood is 3:1.
Old Sep 14, 2002, 6:34 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

I don't believe AMTRAK will let you combine your Spousal accounts.....anyone know??
and yes - you can transfer Membership Rewards to Co. then CO to Amtrak then Amtrak to United.....effectively using Membership Rewards to add to your United miles....By the way - some have said I'm "crazy" to do this with UA's "edge of bankruptcy" problem..
What are your comments about the chances of losing all my UA miles if UA goes into Chapter 11 or 7 or other? ---or if I do manage to pull a (United partner) Air New Zealand award for Dec. 2003 - will it still be valid if United "tanks"......
Old Sep 17, 2002, 2:12 am

My experience is that CO-&gt;Amtrak will work as long as the last name on the account is the same. Amtrak-&gt;UA will require an exact match for names.
Old Sep 17, 2002, 11:30 am

RenneMoss-

My guess on Mileage Plus miles in the event of a UA bankrupstcy is that we'll likely get to keep the miles. The big question in my mind is what they'll be worth. If UA cuts back its schedule or service routes a lot, this means it will be tougher to get an award or maybe you won't be able to get where you want to go on UA. This happened after CO's problems when they all but abandoned the West Coast.

Another possible problem is if they significantly narrow award capacity. UA is a bright star right now in that you can, with a little planning, usually get awards seats. Delta is a lot tougher and CO is much worse than that, even for domestic trips. No one has found an effective way to rate an airline on allocation and availability but with a "new UA" seeking profits, it wouldn't suprise me to find seats tougher to get. (CO even added a rule that only current, top-status customers can book Int'l more than 30 days before a flight).

UA is already raising the miles needed for some popular awards-Int'l upgrades are going up 50% from 40,000 miles to 60,000.

I think it's safe to expect that, whatever you think a mile is worth today, it may well be worth less tomorrow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.