Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

What is the tipping protocol on Amtrak ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2023, 10:27 am
Original Poster

In January, I'm taking the Cardinal from New York to Chicago, then straight after taking the California Zephyr from Chicago to Emeryville. I'm travelling in roomettes and amy meals are covered. What is the tipping protocol on Amtrak long distance trains ? I'm coming from England, where tipping on a train (even one of the Sleepers) is an unknown concept !
Old Oct 29, 2023, 3:30 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Well tipping threads tend to be a little bit of a mine field. Well I guess our whole tipping culture is.

The amount is totally up to you.

I would say especially since you are going to end to end on the routes you will see your sleeper attendant at the end of the journey and can hand them a cash tip discreetly via a hand shake at both Chicago and Emeryville.

If you take your meals in the dinning car even though they are included you'll have a server there who will appricate a small tip after each meal.
Mint Cake and Maglev like this.
Old Oct 29, 2023, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
I would tip Dining Car servers 15-20% of what the meals would cost a Coach passenger. (The cash prices should appear on the menu.)

I think $10/day/passenger for the Sleeping Car Attendant would be an appropriate tip.

Edited to add: All of the above is predicated on receiving good service, of course
Mint Cake and Daze like this.
Old Oct 29, 2023, 6:35 pm

Programs: Ozark Go-Getters Gold, Statler Star Silver, others from a variety of alternate timelines
Originally Posted by guv1976
(The cash prices should appear on the menu.)
Aside from alcoholic beverages, prices actually don't appear on the current "Traditional Dining" menu (as used on the California Zephyr) -- it's prix fixe for coach passengers, at $20 for breakfast, $25 for lunch, and $45 for dinner.
Mint Cake likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2023, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

Thank you one and all, I'll be sure to have some appropriate notes available.

Fingers crossed that trip goes well, as I'm planning on doing several more long distance trips in the next few years - the only downer being that I can only do them between December and March.
Old Oct 29, 2023, 7:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Is this the OP's first Amtrak longhaul journey?

I always bring certain items on an Amtrak longhaul.
- Safety Pins (to close all curtains completely) plus earplugs and a face mask -- Amtrak sleepers are a dormitory.
- Portable Music system -- quiet background music is great on the long days through the American West
- Your own shower kit (bath shoes, products for wet places) -- the onboard shower, while handy, is usually a relatively clean but watery place, for which preparation is needed.
- Your own liquor stash. -- this is up to personal taste, but I always bring my own portable bar with liquor and my own wine. Amtrak wine is atrocious. Most dining attendants don't mind if you BYOB to the dining car. Don't forget a TSA-proof corkscrew.

I would also recommend bedrooms rather than roomettes, but only if the upcharge is reasonable.

The sleeping car attendant should be given IMO $10 per day if you eat in the diner (more if you have him bring you the meal to the stateroom). They should provide unlimited ice (to chill wine plus for cocktails) The other task is bedding prep. The dining car attendant should also get a few bucks at breakfast and lunch and 5 per person at dinner.
KRSW, strickerj and ND76 like this.
Old Oct 30, 2023, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by fastflyer
Is this the OP's first Amtrak longhaul journey?

I always bring certain items on an Amtrak longhaul.
- Safety Pins (to close all curtains completely) plus earplugs and a face mask -- Amtrak sleepers are a dormitory.
- Portable Music system -- quiet background music is great on the long days through the American West
- Your own shower kit (bath shoes, products for wet places) -- the onboard shower, while handy, is usually a relatively clean but watery place, for which preparation is needed.
- Your own liquor stash. -- this is up to personal taste, but I always bring my own portable bar with liquor and my own wine. Amtrak wine is atrocious. Most dining attendants don't mind if you BYOB to the dining car. Don't forget a TSA-proof corkscrew.

I would also recommend bedrooms rather than roomettes, but only if the upcharge is reasonable.

The sleeping car attendant should be given IMO $10 per day if you eat in the diner (more if you have him bring you the meal to the stateroom). They should provide unlimited ice (to chill wine plus for cocktails) The other task is bedding prep. The dining car attendant should also get a few bucks at breakfast and lunch and 5 per person at dinner.
thank you for the tips fastflyer
Yes, these will be my first overnight trips on Amtrak and I'm very much looking forward to them ! Thank you for the travel tips.
I'm travelling on my own in a roomette - the cost for a bedroom was an addition $2000 which was a little bit rich for me
Old Dec 8, 2023, 11:40 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
My rule of thumb is to tip the sleeping car attendant $20 (I've never been on such a trip for more than 24 hours), and, depending on the quality of the service in the dining car, $5 to $10 per meal. Quite often, while the sleeping car attendants turn out to be really good if not great, the dining car people often leave something to be desired, no matter how much you tip them.
Old Dec 9, 2023, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ND76
My rule of thumb is to tip the sleeping car attendant $20 (I've never been on such a trip for more than 24 hours), and, depending on the quality of the service in the dining car, $5 to $10 per meal. Quite often, while the sleeping car attendants turn out to be really good if not great, the dining car people often leave something to be desired, no matter how much you tip them.
The highlighted bit is what I struggle to get my head around - why are people gifted/tipped additional money, for doing a rubbish job ? Especially when they are already earning a (very) generous Union rate.
strickerj and dicksboat like this.
Old Dec 10, 2023, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by Mint Cake
The highlighted bit is what I struggle to get my head around - why are people gifted/tipped additional money, for doing a rubbish job ? Especially when they are already earning a (very) generous Union rate.
Well, personally in the diner, if they do a basically adequate job, I will tip them. If they do a completely "rubbish" job, outright surly, hostile, forgetful, I won't.

As for sleepers, I tip $10 for every 24 hours for an okay job, up to $20 for a great one. However, if they do not do even an okay job, like never in the car, not making up beds or dictating the time ("I will make up the bed at 7 if you want me to do it"), I will not tip them at all.

A tip is a gratuity, expressing gratitude. If they do a terrible job, I am not grateful for that.

As has been pointed out, Amtrak OBS make a decent Union wage plus benefits.
Mint Cake likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

I've just completed my "big trip" and had a great time. The sca on the CZ was a good guy that a great job over a very, very long working day. 6 back to back 18 hour days - he fully deserved the tip and gift that I left for him.
Hat tip to the sca on the Cardinal as well. He put in a real shift as well !
hhdl, Jaimito Cartero and Maglev like this.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Ironically Pullman service is one of the places where the whole tipping culture in the U.S. originated.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 7:01 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards Select, Maika'i Card
Oh boy, a mine field thread!

I just can't wait to drive through with a tank!

It's great that our original poster enjoyed their trip

I am a very generous tipper. First, I will tip the custodian at the station $10 if I see them and the restrooms are clean. When we board the train, if I am traveling with my wife, I will ask for ice and extra pillows and give a $20 bill when the attendant delivers them. I will tip when any other extra services are performed, but typically make my own beds. I give a $50 tip when I alight, especially if the common areas are well-kept, even if I am traveling alone and do not receive any service at all.

(On the last day of a train's journey, the attendant will change the sheets in all the beds, and this is a good opportunity to give a tip instead of expressing any displeasure about being temporarily displaced from one's room).

I recently did a one-night trip in coach, and tipped the attendant $20.

In the dining car, I give $3 for breakfast, $5 for lunch, and $10 for dinner. In the cafe, I always leave a couple bucks.

I have not traveled in First Class on Acela since 2006, but I gave the attendant $20 when my wife and I rode Boston to Washington.
physioprof likes this.

Last edited by Maglev; Jan 20, 2024 at 11:06 am Reason: spelling

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.