Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bidup problem

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2022, 3:29 am
Original Poster

Bidup problem

The Bidup page on the website will not accept non US addresses (despite having a countries list etc.). If there is an upgrade available on the train, from the conductor, would that be at similar types of cost?
Old Feb 22, 2022, 9:42 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards Select, Maika'i Card
The Conductor no longer sells upgrades. You can call Amtrak reservations from your cell phone while on the train and pay for an upgrade at current fares, and then show the Conductor your new ticket on your phone, but the "Bid Up" process is a better deal.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Maglev
The Conductor no longer sells upgrades.
Then why say so on their website??

Can I bidup over the phone?
Old Feb 22, 2022, 10:48 am
Original Poster

What kind of company is this? They have a phone number for international visitors ( 1-215-856-7924 ) which will not accept calls. The email page at https://www.amtrak.com/contact-us/email.html responds with a message saying "We've encountered an issue sending your feedback. Check that you've entered a subject and your message/feedback"
Old Feb 23, 2022, 7:12 am
Formerly known as stellertony

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, NEXUS, APEC
Originally Posted by garethmorgan
What kind of company is this? They have a phone number for international visitors ( 1-215-856-7924 ) which will not accept calls. The email page at https://www.amtrak.com/contact-us/email.html responds with a message saying "We've encountered an issue sending your feedback. Check that you've entered a subject and your message/feedback"
Feedback form works fine for me (and I’m in mexico). Per the error message, did you select a subject? (It’s the first drop down menu).

I can’t speak to the phone number - that doesn’t work for me either. You could use Google Voice, Skype, etc. to call the toll free Amtrak number.

I wouldn’t hold your breath on either email or phone being particularly useful though - BidUp is powered by a third party technology company so I’m not sure how much access/information Amtrak staff are going to have. If you can find a friend with a US credit or debit card who would be willing to place a bid for you, that would definitely be the path of least resistance.

Last edited by tonei; Feb 23, 2022 at 7:19 am
Old Feb 23, 2022, 7:37 am
Original Poster

It's consistent here. (I've combined the images as the error message appears over a cleared page)

I'll try the toll free number , thanks for the suggestion.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What kind of company is this?
A government-funded company.
strickerj likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Now BidUp via a friends US credit card.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 6:14 am
Original Poster

Unsuccessful in my ‘strong’ bid for tomorrow’s California Zephyr from Chicago. The train is showing 90% full with no availability in coach.
Old Mar 4, 2022, 10:18 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest

It's consistent here. (I've combined the images as the error message appears over a cleared page)

I'll try the toll free number , thanks for the suggestion.
What's in the menu labeled "Type" (last one before message body)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.