Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Acela Express First Class Seat Assignment (WHOA!)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Acela Express First Class Seat Assignment (WHOA!)

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2018, 2:39 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Just found out this was a thing again. (I remember booking an assigned seat back in 200x, but not being able to tell which way the train is going.)

Somehow pretty much every other HSR system and pseudo-HSR in the world (Shinkansen, ICE, Eurostar, TGV, AVE, Thalys, RailJet, CRH, etc) has figured this out. I can't imagine what's so special about the Acela (other than legacy IT) that would make it an outlier. Most of those other systems also have a variety of seating configurations to deal with, and often offer a mix of reserved and open seating.

I hope this makes it to Acela Business. (I find First largely a waste of money.) The mad dash to board and difficulty getting a seat from an intermediate station are my two biggest peeves about the Acela.
Old May 2, 2018, 7:43 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Is this still only on 2190? Booking a trip next week and would consider Acela F if it gets me a single seat when boarding at Providence...
Old May 2, 2018, 8:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The whole thing is remedied by following the typical air GDS where the display shows that there is space available and then one proceeds and selects a seat. In the Acela situation, one looks at a given train, the display shows F availability and one may then select and complete a reservation if one wishes. People who face a window seat on the 2-seat side have a decision to make.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 4:33 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
If you use a Guest Rewards update coupon, does that allow you to choose your seat? I've never used one, so not familiar with the timeframe of how/when it works.

Thanks!
Old Jun 4, 2018, 5:20 pm

They should really consider rolling this out across the board.

Fortunately enough for me, I have always been in a flexible enough situation to get on either before penn in Newark going N or in Stamford going South which Typically gives me first pick once everyone disembarks in Penn. Well worth the surcharge in my opinion.

i have seen how nasty some people can get that paid for F but didn’t get the seat they “wanted”. Their prices aren’t exactly cheap so I could see how it would warrant that type of behavior.

i am just thankful I have the flexibility on where to board as well as what times.

FWIW - I always use first on the Acela as its business travel, but it’s 100% a complete waste of money and more of a status thing for most people in that cart.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 7:06 am

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by djmont
If you use a Guest Rewards update coupon, does that allow you to choose your seat? I've never used one, so not familiar with the timeframe of how/when it works.

Thanks!
Yes. Once you apply the upgrade, a seat is assigned, and you get the confirmation e-mail with PDF attachment. Then, you can go in and change your seat on the website or app.

I've had one experience with this so far, and the system assigned a table seat, even though there were plenty of other singles available. I changed it pronto.
Old May 12, 2021, 8:14 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by vatraveler
Yes. Once you apply the upgrade, a seat is assigned, and you get the confirmation e-mail with PDF attachment. Then, you can go in and change your seat on the website or app.

I've had one experience with this so far, and the system assigned a table seat, even though there were plenty of other singles available. I changed it pronto.
Love assigned seats. The worst part of Adele First is feeling you have to rush out of the lounge and down to the train to claim your seat ahead of others.

But that gets to the question of what's the BEST first class seat on Acela for a single traveler? I think it starts with a single seat. Then front or back of middle. Then which side (minor, IMO).
Old May 13, 2021, 4:33 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Originally Posted by nologic
Love assigned seats. The worst part of Adele First is feeling you have to rush out of the lounge and down to the train to claim your seat ahead of others.

But that gets to the question of what's the BEST first class seat on Acela for a single traveler? I think it starts with a single seat. Then front or back of middle. Then which side (minor, IMO).
If you're going NYP-BOS sitting on the right (shoreline) side is significantly more scenic. Sound of NYP, both sides are about the same IIRC (although most of my travel experience is going NYP-PVD). I also always find the middle of the car is a much smoother ride.
River in Sight likes this.
Old May 13, 2021, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by hi55us
If you're going NYP-BOS sitting on the right (shoreline) side is significantly more scenic. Sound of NYP, both sides are about the same IIRC (although most of my travel experience is going NYP-PVD). I also always find the middle of the car is a much smoother ride.
Some of the seats don't recline as much. I think it's the seats that back up to the seats with the tables?

6F looks pretty good to me.

Does the food and beverage ordering/service go front to back or back to front?

Last edited by nologic; May 13, 2021 at 8:15 pm
Old May 13, 2021, 9:10 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Originally Posted by nologic
Does the food and beverage ordering/service go front to back or back to front?
At the moment it has been back to front, and with the reduced capacity, there has only been one attendant in first class. but it's a bit more scattered on the train since unlike a plane, passengers are getting on and off at various stops. With the seat blocking, 15A was my favorite seat, since the facing seat was blocked and so you get the large (and more stable) table to yourself, the facing seat to put your bag and you get served first. But since the blocking is coming to an end, I will go back to the single seats.
Old May 15, 2021, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by rittenhousesq
At the moment it has been back to front, and with the reduced capacity, there has only been one attendant in first class. but it's a bit more scattered on the train since unlike a plane, passengers are getting on and off at various stops. With the seat blocking, 15A was my favorite seat, since the facing seat was blocked and so you get the large (and more stable) table to yourself, the facing seat to put your bag and you get served first. But since the blocking is coming to an end, I will go back to the single seats.
My train the other day (NYP-BOS) had two attendants. The car was "full" with 21 passengers. The aisle server started at the rear, but the galley attendant took orders from the first few seats in front as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.