Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Insight into rapid multi-ride price increases?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Insight into rapid multi-ride price increases?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2017, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA/AS/UA; Bonvoy
Question Insight into rapid multi-ride price increases?

I am currently traveling frequently between DC and New York for work, and have been buying 10-trip multi ride tickets between WAS and NYP for the past few months. I am curious to see whether folks have any insight into the rapid price increases that have been occurring.

In early October, the price was $950; in mid-November, an even $1000; and January's is going to be $1050. I am not necessarily complaining, particularly since I often change trains last minute on Thursday afternoons, and I appreciate the flexibility, but I am curious if anyone has any idea why the fare has gone up twice in such quick succession. In my experience, Amtrak has adjusted prices on a yearly basis, which doesn't map to the two increases I've seen this quarter alone.

Thanks for any insight.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 6:37 am

Well this is bad news... I had planned to buy one next month and waited because in the past prices had fluctuated and it was at the top that I had seen so I assumed it could only go down. Really annoying.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 2:03 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
My BOS-PVD 10 Ride has gone nuts, up to $180 now making Amtrak a lot less competitive with the commuter rail. Probably going to lose a lot of the commuters on 177/179 that would otherwise be empty on Monday-Thursday.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 8:08 pm

Had the same thing happen to me. The price increased from 138 to 162 on SAN-IRV route
Old Mar 6, 2018, 8:55 pm

Programs: UA1K
Pacific Surfliner fares are managed by CalTrans and LOSSAN. They've been doing public outreach about the fare restructuring the last couple months:

Amtrak Pacific Surfliner
Old Mar 26, 2018, 10:21 am

Guess what, they've gone up again. NYP-BAL went from $882 last year to $932 the last time I posted to now $981. Very frustrating.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 6:24 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Yikes, PVD-BOS up to $189... seems like yesterday it was $160, only a small premium over the commuter rail which is $11.50 a trip. Now $18.90/trip with Amtrak has me considering commuter rail much more often...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.