Community
Wiki Posts
Search

seeking tips Acela PVD to NYP

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2019, 6:45 am

Programs: B6, Amtrak, DL, AA, Marriott, Hilton
If you're going to do this for a while, you can always use up your AGR points for upgrade coupons. They'll get you from business to F.

You might find they're best used PVD-BOS, as F will now give you a seat assignment. While NYP has the mad scramble to deal with, you've got decent odds of getting a good seat if you move quick at NYP, even better using the alternate boarding routes. Coming out of PVD, if the train is close to full out of MA stations, it can be quite the hunt for an open seat in Business.
FlyinHawaiian likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 2:31 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Originally Posted by octr202
If you're going to do this for a while, you can always use up your AGR points for upgrade coupons. They'll get you from business to F.

You might find they're best used PVD-BOS, as F will now give you a seat assignment. While NYP has the mad scramble to deal with, you've got decent odds of getting a good seat if you move quick at NYP, even better using the alternate boarding routes. Coming out of PVD, if the train is close to full out of MA stations, it can be quite the hunt for an open seat in Business.
Great points.

I would probably do Acela NYP-PVD, since it's less likely to be delayed (a lot of the northbound regional trains get delayed since they originate in Virginia on freight RR territory). Also boarding in NYP, you'll have the same seat selection on the Acela vs. Regional.

PVD-NYP I would definitely do the regional. There are usually more open seats, since they usually open the first car or two right at Providence, meaning you get any seat in the car you want. The regional trains pick up a lot of people between Providence and New Haven where the Acela runs nonstop.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 5:44 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
The tip about the NE Regional being more prone to delays is exactly what I was hoping to learn; thanks to all for taking the time to respond. Also good to know about the operations from PVD on the NE Regional.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 6:38 am

Programs: B6, Amtrak, DL, AA, Marriott, Hilton
If you do need to use a Regional eastbound (NYP>PVD) it's probably worth checking the PDF timetables to see where your train originates. IIRC all of the Regionals with two-digit train numbers originate somewhere in VA south of WAS, but also many (but not all) of the ones in the 100-series. I'd feel much more comfortable with one that starts in WAS and stays in Amtrak's control (at least until New Rochelle).

Good to know that Regional crews will hold some cars for PVD. That's got to be the worst part about Acela for PVD (or even RTE) is that the train can be so full. That said, if there are going to be open seats on an Acela in business, you'll probably find them at the front of the train, as I find people rarely walk up at BOS (more than once, been the only passengers in the first Business car out of BOS). Unfortunately, if there's a good crowd at BBY, most of them know to board the head end for seats.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 2:53 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Coming back to this thread to thank everyone for their feedback. My trip this week to PVD was Wed night to Fri (today) afternoon. I decided to pay for First out of my pocket and am glad I did. I was happy to have dinner on the train, although the scrum at NYP for the 7 pm Acela was better than I thought; First was about 90% full and the seat poachers did ok. I'm on 2171, the 3:45 pm our of PVD and both Business and First is sold out. The poacher sitting in my solo seat seemed genuinely shocked that I declined her request to swap for her window seat at the quad table.
arlflyer, ijgordon and musicalbox like this.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
The poacher sitting in my solo seat seemed genuinely shocked that I declined her request to swap for her window seat at the quad table.
The nerve of some people. SMH.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.