Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amtrak rewards itself

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2016, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Angry Amtrak rewards itself

I learned the hard way that the new Guest Rewards program penalizes you if you cancel/change a reservation, by keeping your hard earned points. Unlike the old program which made members feel like they were important by working with them when problems arose, the new program seems not to care. At all. When I tried canceling a reservation made only a few hours before, the "customer service" person was only too happy to tell me Amtrak was keeping 5,200 points of mine and that there was nothing she would, or that I could, do about it. Amtrak should have named the new program Amtrak Rewards Itself program.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
This was announced when they came out with AGR 2.0 last fall. Yeah, I think it's one of the worst parts of the new program too.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 7:10 am

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Don't know if you have the flexibility, but I get around the penalty by moving my rewards to future dates, at the same price/points level. I have about four or five rewards reservations in place now, and I move them around as necessary.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 5:41 pm

Programs: DL, B6, UA, AGR
Originally Posted by vatraveler
Don't know if you have the flexibility, but I get around the penalty by moving my rewards to future dates, at the same price/points level. I have about four or five rewards reservations in place now, and I move them around as necessary.
Wouldn't a date change be considered a change and incur the penalty?
Old Jun 13, 2016, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by saxman66
This was announced when they came out with AGR 2.0 last fall. Yeah, I think it's one of the worst parts of the new program too.
And described in detail in the wiki at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amtra...t-rewards.html
Old Jun 13, 2016, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by Sicariis
Wouldn't a date change be considered a change and incur the penalty?
The penalty is only on the difference. If there is no difference between the new fare in points and the old one, there is no charge. So I also do what vatraveler describes if I need to cancel a trip booked on points, ie, just book a random date in the future to hold on to all of them without a penalty.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 11:59 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
I've heard of it being implemented as "any change triggers a cancel-and-rebook penalty" (e.g. switching rooms or asking to switch between 7 and 27/8 and 28).

This was among the worst parts of the "improved" program (my opinions of the new program are on record here, or can be summed up by checking my signature).
Old Jun 19, 2016, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
I've heard of it being implemented as "any change triggers a cancel-and-rebook penalty" (e.g. switching rooms or asking to switch between 7 and 27/8 and 28).

This was among the worst parts of the "improved" program (my opinions of the new program are on record here, or can be summed up by checking my signature).
That's exactly what the AGR rep told me when booking in January using the old policy. ANY CHANGE would result in 10% loss of all reservation points (with the added insult of costing more points under the new plan).
The sad thing is Amtrak's failure to make their cancellation policy clear on the issues of cancelling the same day and making a change - even a change in roomette number.

Even the airlines have always allowed a 24 hour cancellation.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 2:28 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by honest_abe
Even the airlines have always allowed a 24 hour cancellation.
That's a strict DOT regulation of airlines. Unfortunately, of all the onerous regulations on Amtrak, reasonable and basic passenger protections like 24-hour penalty-free cancellations are not among them. Amtrak could simply voluntarily match this in their policies, but they don't.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 9:34 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
I'm not sure what the grace period is, but I have been able to cancel and receive full refunds right after booking, on Saver fares which are supposed to be nonrefundable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.