Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

New Amtrak Guest Rewards MasterCard arriving Fall 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 13, 2015, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
Beginning September 12, 2015, two new Amtrak-branded credit cards are available through Bank of America:
  • World MasterCard (20K pts for $1K spend in 3 months; $79 AF, not waived)
  • Platinum MasterCard (12K pts for $1K spend in 3 months; no AF)

Both cards offer the following benefits:
  • Earn 1 AGR point for non-Amtrak purchases
  • Earn a bonus for Amtrak ticket and on-board purchases
    • World MC earns a total of 3 AGR pts/$
    • Platinum MC earns 2 AGR pts/$
  • Receive a 5% points rebate on award redemptions for Amtrak travel
  • No forex fee on purchases outside the US
  • Your AGR points will never expire as long as you hold either card

The World MasterCard offers these additional benefits:
  • Earn 2 AGR pts/$ on non-Amtrak travel purchases
    • Per the T&C, this includes airlines, car rental agencies, hotels, motels, inns, resorts, and steamship/cruise lines. In cases where the merchant of record is not Amtrak, this 2pts/$ category also includes travel agencies, passenger railways, and commuter railways. (The last two were originally excluded, but are included as of 2021 or possibly earlier.)
  • Earn 1,000 TQPs for every $5,000 in eligible purchases, up to 4,000 TQPs in any calendar year
    • Purchases are credited for the year of the statement on which they are billed. For an account that closes on the 20th of each month, purchases after Dec. 20 will count in the following year.
  • On account opening, receive a single-day pass for access to ClubAcela, Amtrak Metropolitan Lounge or First class lounges
    • Per T&C, "ClubAcela pass valid for bearer and one guest, or bearer's spouse/domestic partner and children under the age of 21. No same-day ticket required for use."
  • On account opening and at each anniversary renewal, receive a Companion Coupon and One-Class Upgrade
    • "Companion Coupon valid for one (1) free companion rail fare with the purchase of one (1) regular (full) adult rail fare. Free companion and paying passenger must reserve at the same time and travel together at all times. Valid for travel as one (1) one-way or one (1) roundtrip on one reservation per coupon. For roundtrip usage, both directions of travel must be reserved at the same time. Travel blackout dates apply."
      • Blackout dates for 2016: Jan. 2-3; Feb. 12; Feb. 15; Mar. 24-25; Mar. 28; May 27; May 30; Jul. 1; Jul. 4; Sept. 2; Sept. 5; Oct. 10; Nov. 22-23; Nov. 26-28; Dec. 21-24; Dec. 26-30.
      • Blackout dates for 2017: Jan. 1-2; Feb. 17; Feb. 20; Apr. 13-14; Apr. 17; May 26; May 29; Sept. 1; Sept. 4; Oct. 9; Nov. 21-22; Nov. 24-27; [other dates TBD].
      "Regular (full) adult rail fare" excludes Senior/AAA/etc. discount fares. AGR Insider has asserted at one time that "full fare" includes Saver & other unrestricted fares, but two separate FTer reports indicate that Saver fares are in fact excluded.
    • "One-Class Upgrade Coupon valid for one (1) space-available, one-way, one-class upgrade. Valid only from Coach to Business class, or from Acela Business class to Acela First class, on a single travel segment or leg. Not valid for upgrade to sleeping car accommodations. Travel blackout dates apply."

If my application is not instantly approved, is there a special contact number for Bank of America?
Try calling 888-221-6262 or 866-811-4108. (M-F 8am-7pm EST)

When will I receive my World MC Companion Coupon/Upgrade Coupon/ClubAcela Pass?
"Companion Coupon and One-Class Upgrade Coupon are available online through your Amtrak Guest Rewards account. Your ClubAcela pass will be mailed to you within 2 weeks of account opening."

How soon will my AGR points post after I complete the required spend?
Bank of America transfers your signup bonus points to Amtrak a day or two after the end of the monthly billing cycle in which you complete the required spend.

Are these cards churnable?
TBD

Print Wikipost

New Amtrak Guest Rewards MasterCard arriving Fall 2015

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2015, 8:17 am

Well, it looks like the concerns about Bank of America were well founded. I called the number this morning to find out about getting my "pending" application approved. I was initially given the "we'll send you a letter in 30 days" response. I asked to speak to a manager, and I explained to her that this technical difficulty they had was really going to be a problem for the loyal card users. She just said, "sorry there's nothing we can do".

I then explained that this matter is being discussed on various frequent traveler forums and other people have had their applications processed when they called in after the online "pending" issue. She finally offered to take my number and call me back "within 2 to 3 business days."

What a bunch of crap.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 8:42 am

Programs: DL, B6, UA, AGR
As a former BOA credit and bank customer, it doesn't sound like much has changed since I left. Their customer service is powerless to fix any situation from past experience and from the tales shared here over the weekend. I feel for you folks stuck in pending/wait for a letter technical difficulty purgatory.

My experience with Chase on the other hand has always been fair and and their customer service has been prompt and knowledgable. With that in mind I elected to go the Sapphire Preferred route and keep the Freedom for the bonus categories and transfer to AGR as needed. IMO, The additional travel categories covered by the CSP (parking, bus, and subway fares) and double points on dining plus their support make the AF worthwhile.

Now I just have to keep my fingers crossed that Chase's and Amtrak's transfer partnership continues strong well into the future. If not, then I'll be looking at the SPG AMEX.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 8:48 am

Could you tell me more about Companion Certificates and Upgrade coupons that come with World card? Can they be used by another person? Are they those that are being sold on fleebay?
Old Sep 14, 2015, 9:29 am

Location: Norfolk, VA, USA Occupation: Former Hotel, Airline, Travel Agency, and Computerized Reservations System Representative
Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards
Back Door Number

Hey, Steve ... I found this "back door" number for Bank of America that people have been using to have their pending and denied applications approved. Apparently, most everyone has been very successful, even if it meant getting a lower credit limit on the card. The number is (866) 811-4108.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 9:36 am

Mine still shows pending so I waited on hold about 15 minutes to reapply. I told the CSR that I was pending but I'd like to reapply because I wanted the card ASAP. She said, "let me just check the status." I assumed she'd just tell me what I could see right in front of me on my computer screen, that it was pending. But no, apparently I am approved. I asked her why that didn't show on the site and she said something about it taking a while to update. I received no email or call about being approved. I suppose it's coming in a letter.

Anyway, it's the World, and she said it would arrive in about two weeks and my credit line is 13k while my Chase one was $25k. Personally, I don't care, as I charge my monthly expenses on it, pay it off monthly, and that's it. And since my Chase card hasn't been canceled yet, it looks like I have a lot more credit available than I will next month. Plus I have never banked with BoA before. So it's understandable.

I still may get the Sapphire after I've booked the $1000 and gotten the points. I had hoped the "Travel" category on the BoA would encompass bus, subway, and parking but it doesn't (my garage no longer accepts credit cards but I have hopes it will come back!). And so far, the CUR points still seem transferrable.

I have analyzed my habits and it seems like the new AGR will impact me in these ways:
- About half the trips I book will cost fewer points, about 2,700 to 3,800 points rather than 4k.
- The other half will cost more, about 4,600 to 5,200.
- The end of "my train that I paid Saver for months ago is hopelessly delayed, I'll grab a last minute points booking, who cares about the price."
- As discussed to death, sleeper trips may be undoable or cost vastly more. My last one may be this summer, booked before January.

So, bottom line, points are still valuable to me and I'm looking to get the most bonus ones I can.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 9:55 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Based on the experiences I'm seeing, it might do AGR some merit to strip the link to the online applications (which are simply not happening for most people) and direct people to the phone number. Maybe refer to there being issues on the Bank of America end when explaining the inability to apply online
Old Sep 14, 2015, 10:34 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
BOA Preferred Rewards credit card bonus points

For BOA customers who are in an elite level of BOA "Preferred Rewards" benefit program, please note that the AGR cards are listed in the category of those NOT receiving point bonuses for BOA status. I don't see a way to link the BOA page, but here is a partial list taken from their webpage:

Card eligibility guidelines

Most Bank of America® branded consumer credit cards (such as the BankAmericard Cash Rewards™ credit card and the BankAmericard Travel Rewards® credit card) are eligible to receive the Preferred Rewards bonus, as long as the card account is open and in good standing. The Preferred Rewards bonus will replace the customer bonus you may already receive with the card.

Cards not eligible for the rewards bonus:

Non-rewards credit cards
Business purpose credit cards
Bank of America Accolades®
BankAmericard® Better Balance Rewards™
Amtrak Guest Rewards®...

This list is subject to change without prior notice.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 10:39 am

I see the "companion coupon" benefit only applies to "full" fares. What does "full" fare mean? Obviously, I get that I can't use points to book my ticket and then use the companion coupon to add my wife (which does work with Southwest), but does a "Saver" fare count as "Full"? The ticket categories are called, from least to most expensive, "Saver", "Value", "Flexible" and "Premium." None is titled "Full", but "Saver" and "Value" might be read to imply Amtrak views those fares as less than "Full" price. I plan my travel pretty far in advance and thus almost always book "saver" fares. The companion coupon won't have much value if I can only use it for a "Flexible" fare that would cost more than twice what I'd normally be paying.

Thanks for any input (from Anthony, or anyone else who might happen to know).
Old Sep 14, 2015, 11:15 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by rbw5t
The companion coupon won't have much value if I can only use it for a "Flexible" fare that would cost more than twice what I'd normally be paying.
+1 for asking this question. I was about to post the same thing.

The $79 annual fee will instantly pay for itself if I can use the companion ticket for a "Value" fare on the LD route I use. But if it can only be used for a "Flexible" fare, then I'd actually pay more by using the companion coupon since the "Flexible" fare is more than twice the cost of a "Value" fare.

In fact, it's usually cheaper to book a low-bucket Roomette for 2 people than it is to pay for two "Flexible" fare coach seats.

I wish the T&C would clarify this point so we don't have an unpleasant surprise. The extra sign-up bonus points for the AF card are nice, but that's a one-shot deal. The ongoing companion coupon is the only thing that makes the AF card worth it, but if it can only be used for "Flexible" fares then I think I'll skip it.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 12:10 pm
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
I could be wrong, but I think the use of "full" here is to mean that the companion coupon can't be used with a discounted rate like AAA, NARP, etc. I hope I'm right!
Old Sep 14, 2015, 12:41 pm

Here's my update. I found a reconsideration line phone number (888-221-6262, before I saw the one TSwindell posted above) and called it. I told the english-speaking guy about the problem and he put me on hold for about a minute and came back and thanked me for making him aware of the problem and said he hadn't heard about it before. He said that he reviewed my application and everything is fine and he approved me with a $10K limit for the World Card.

He said that my initial online application had been declined (because of the glitch) and that I'd still be receiving the denial letter but to just disregard it.

He said that the second online application I made (the one that showed pending) was flagged by the computer to be ignored because it was a duplicate. He said I'd probably receive a letter about that one too, which I could also ignore.

He apologized for the issue and said I'd receive a welcome packet followed by the new card in 7-10 days.

My other half had also applied online twice (1st denied, 2nd pending), so the reconsideration line was going to get a second call this afternoon about that one.

But I just checked the online application status (google Bank of America application status) and the online app that was originally showing denied is now showing approved. (The second one shows pending).

Perhaps BOA decided that they should go back and look at all those denied applications from the weekend.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by lo2e
I could be wrong, but I think the use of "full" here is to mean that the companion coupon can't be used with a discounted rate like AAA, NARP, etc. I hope I'm right!

Arguably the "Value" fare is a discounted rate. Certainly the "Saver" fare is considered a discounted rate, I assume, even though you don't need a special code or membership to use it.

At any rate (no pun intended) I'm hoping to hear an answer from the horse's mouth. Paging our resident horse...AGR Insider.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by SteveSTX
But I just checked the online application status (google Bank of America application status) and the online app that was originally showing denied is now showing approved. (The second one shows pending).

Perhaps BOA decided that they should go back and look at all those denied applications from the weekend.
That sounds likely. My first application is now showing as approved on the Application Status page.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 2:02 pm
Company Representative - Amtrak
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (Select Executive)
Originally Posted by lo2e
Correct - it works like today's Select Plus / Select Executive companion coupon in this regard. A Flexible fare is not a requirement.

Anthony
Old Sep 14, 2015, 2:46 pm

apped online. instant denial. called in to UW, still denial. Said length of history not sufficient. Even tho my scores are all three .750. They said I should reapply with a joint applicant. So I did. Keep in mind I said repeatedly the world mastercard with 79AF

so the lady congratulates me we were approved but for only $2100 limit. Ok. I and I said thats fine. and I will get 20k bonus points in 90 days after 1k spend right? And the annual fee will be billed right away?

NOPE.

She said the world card has a min limit of 5k which is not true, as chase bank tried spouting off this incorrect jargon. Its visa signature that needs a 5k limit. World and world elite no longer have minimums. So now I will have to call in a 5th time and make sure they send me the annual fee version.

So annoying!

EDIT:
Phone call changed things. They said in my case they would make an exclusion lol. They gave me the $79 AF version with the full point bonus potential, with a limit of 2100. Im fine with that. I will just make extra payments if I have to. YIPEE!

Last edited by jfriend33; Sep 14, 2015 at 2:59 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.