Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

New Amtrak Guest Rewards MasterCard arriving Fall 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 13, 2015, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
Beginning September 12, 2015, two new Amtrak-branded credit cards are available through Bank of America:
  • World MasterCard (20K pts for $1K spend in 3 months; $79 AF, not waived)
  • Platinum MasterCard (12K pts for $1K spend in 3 months; no AF)

Both cards offer the following benefits:
  • Earn 1 AGR point for non-Amtrak purchases
  • Earn a bonus for Amtrak ticket and on-board purchases
    • World MC earns a total of 3 AGR pts/$
    • Platinum MC earns 2 AGR pts/$
  • Receive a 5% points rebate on award redemptions for Amtrak travel
  • No forex fee on purchases outside the US
  • Your AGR points will never expire as long as you hold either card

The World MasterCard offers these additional benefits:
  • Earn 2 AGR pts/$ on non-Amtrak travel purchases
    • Per the T&C, this includes airlines, car rental agencies, hotels, motels, inns, resorts, and steamship/cruise lines. In cases where the merchant of record is not Amtrak, this 2pts/$ category also includes travel agencies, passenger railways, and commuter railways. (The last two were originally excluded, but are included as of 2021 or possibly earlier.)
  • Earn 1,000 TQPs for every $5,000 in eligible purchases, up to 4,000 TQPs in any calendar year
    • Purchases are credited for the year of the statement on which they are billed. For an account that closes on the 20th of each month, purchases after Dec. 20 will count in the following year.
  • On account opening, receive a single-day pass for access to ClubAcela, Amtrak Metropolitan Lounge or First class lounges
    • Per T&C, "ClubAcela pass valid for bearer and one guest, or bearer's spouse/domestic partner and children under the age of 21. No same-day ticket required for use."
  • On account opening and at each anniversary renewal, receive a Companion Coupon and One-Class Upgrade
    • "Companion Coupon valid for one (1) free companion rail fare with the purchase of one (1) regular (full) adult rail fare. Free companion and paying passenger must reserve at the same time and travel together at all times. Valid for travel as one (1) one-way or one (1) roundtrip on one reservation per coupon. For roundtrip usage, both directions of travel must be reserved at the same time. Travel blackout dates apply."
      • Blackout dates for 2016: Jan. 2-3; Feb. 12; Feb. 15; Mar. 24-25; Mar. 28; May 27; May 30; Jul. 1; Jul. 4; Sept. 2; Sept. 5; Oct. 10; Nov. 22-23; Nov. 26-28; Dec. 21-24; Dec. 26-30.
      • Blackout dates for 2017: Jan. 1-2; Feb. 17; Feb. 20; Apr. 13-14; Apr. 17; May 26; May 29; Sept. 1; Sept. 4; Oct. 9; Nov. 21-22; Nov. 24-27; [other dates TBD].
      "Regular (full) adult rail fare" excludes Senior/AAA/etc. discount fares. AGR Insider has asserted at one time that "full fare" includes Saver & other unrestricted fares, but two separate FTer reports indicate that Saver fares are in fact excluded.
    • "One-Class Upgrade Coupon valid for one (1) space-available, one-way, one-class upgrade. Valid only from Coach to Business class, or from Acela Business class to Acela First class, on a single travel segment or leg. Not valid for upgrade to sleeping car accommodations. Travel blackout dates apply."

If my application is not instantly approved, is there a special contact number for Bank of America?
Try calling 888-221-6262 or 866-811-4108. (M-F 8am-7pm EST)

When will I receive my World MC Companion Coupon/Upgrade Coupon/ClubAcela Pass?
"Companion Coupon and One-Class Upgrade Coupon are available online through your Amtrak Guest Rewards account. Your ClubAcela pass will be mailed to you within 2 weeks of account opening."

How soon will my AGR points post after I complete the required spend?
Bank of America transfers your signup bonus points to Amtrak a day or two after the end of the monthly billing cycle in which you complete the required spend.

Are these cards churnable?
TBD

Print Wikipost

New Amtrak Guest Rewards MasterCard arriving Fall 2015

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2015, 9:33 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Part of the memo looks like this.

Compare here https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...s.go?VIEW=List (even has the same card number on some sample Mastercards).

Last edited by KennyBSAT; Aug 13, 2015 at 6:03 am
Old Aug 13, 2015, 6:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by KennyBSAT
The name on the sample cards pictured in the internal memo is Chris L Martin. The name on nearly all Bank of America card ads is Chris L Martin. I'd count on the new AGR Mastercard being a BoA product.
Nice catch! If BoA is the issuer I might be interested depending on the earnings potential. I do a NEC RT pretty much every weekend but the current card was of no interest to me since I would rather put the charges on my Chase Sapphire Preferred.

Isn't BoA known for not setting the world on fire with their credit card earnings potential? I bank with them but don't have a single one of their CC.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 6:03 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by KennyBSAT
Part of the memo looks like this.
You sir, appear to be the winner.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by christianj
Nice catch!
Isn't BoA known for not setting the world on fire with their credit card earnings potential? I bank with them but don't have a single one of their CC.
Likewise. But I noticed that certain of their reward cards offer extra or higher bonuses to certain levels of their "elite" customer program (platinum, etc.).
Old Aug 13, 2015, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by ohmark
Likewise. But I noticed that certain of their reward cards offer extra or higher bonuses to certain levels of their "elite" customer program (platinum, etc.).
Didn't see that but it appears that with most of their airline cards the earnings rate on charges with the airline are 3 points per $1 spent. With Chase that rate is now at 2 points so that could be a potential improvement right there IF it offers 3 points. I personally would need to see more than 3 points to apply and move spend.

Add to that the potential devaluation IF they move to a revenue based redemption as speculated on FT and on numerous blogs and gaining Amtrak points MIGHT not be the best thing to strive for with credit card spend moving forward. (right now 2 Chase UR points are move valuable to me than 2 Amtrak points with a potential devaluation in redemptions and earnings this will need to be reevaluated.)
Old Aug 13, 2015, 6:58 am

Didn't see that but it appears that with most of their airline cards the earnings rate on charges with the airline are 3 points per $1 spent.
My reference is to their non-co-branded travel and cash reward cards.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by beltway
Nicely done. But what internal memo? Did I miss an earlier post on that subject?
This memo (https://lossan.octa.net/AgendaPDF/8478.pdf) shows the new cards on page 29. It was linked from this article: http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.co...t-prices-sigh/
Old Aug 13, 2015, 8:00 am

I hate you AGR! I've transferred lots of UR point in the scare that they are breaking up with chase! Now they're changing the whole thing!
Is there any way AGR can push my points back to my UR in this circumstances?
Old Aug 13, 2015, 9:32 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Wow, I had no idea about the upcoming AGR devaluation. Aligning AGR redemption rates with the price of the ticket kills what was for me a great program. 4,000 points for anywhere on the NE corridor at any time, even when booking the day of, was a helluva deal for me that I utilized frequently. Or 20K points for a one-way in a roommette from Chicago to California on the California Zephyr (a ticket that can easily cost almost $1000). Sad times.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by avagyan
I hate you AGR! I've transferred lots of UR point in the scare that they are breaking up with chase! Now they're changing the whole thing!
I was about to commit the same disaster, but held off for a few days--thank goodness.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by mpeterson78
Aligning AGR redemption rates with the price of the ticket kills what was for me a great program. 4,000 points for anywhere on the NE corridor at any time, even when booking the day of, was a helluva deal for me that I utilized frequently. Or 20K points for a one-way in a roommette from Chicago to California on the California Zephyr (a ticket that can easily cost almost $1000). Sad times.
Originally Posted by ohmark
I was about to commit the same disaster, but held off for a few days--thank goodness.
Note that there's now a separate thread for discussing the devaluation, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amtra...on-system.html
Old Aug 13, 2015, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by avagyan
Is there any way AGR can push my points back to my UR in this circumstances?
Sorry but I just don't understand your comment! If the rumors of BoA being the new card issuer are true then they are indeed breaking up with Chase. Them ending their CC issuing relationship with Chase however does not necessarily mean that there will be no more Chase UR transfers to Amtrak (it's likely but not a given) If you assumed both and thus transferred you UR to Amtrak that isn't their fault but your assumption...and a premature one at that.

Now that you've done it the only option is to book some rewards if the devaluation that is forecasted impacts your likely reservation pattern...but we will have till January to do that at the old rates.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 10:55 am

Sorry but I just don't understand your comment! If the rumors of BoA being the new card issuer are true then they are indeed breaking up with Chase. Them ending their CC issuing relationship with Chase however does not necessarily mean that there will be no more Chase UR transfers to Amtrak (it's likely but not a given) If you assumed both and thus transferred you UR to Amtrak that isn't their fault but your assumption...and a premature one at that.

Now that you've done it the only option is to book some rewards if the devaluation that is forecasted impacts your likely reservation pattern...but we will have till January to do that at the old rates.
few months ago, when Chase CC app disappeared I thought UR transfer will go away in few days, and I didn't think they will devalue the program.

If I had the information of devaluiation and breaking up with chase at the same time I wouldn't transfer my points.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA(PPro), UA, AGR, BW(Plat), HH, WoH, MB(S)
Without any details of the points to dollar ratios for redemptions, do we really know the program is being devalued? Yes, we can guess that based on prior experience with other programs, but it's not a fact until it's a fact.

Under the current zone system, there were certainly winners and losers. Winner's were those who booked last minute, who wanted to take a long meandering trip by sleeper, or happened to be located where the zones worked well (Florida, for example). A loser was someone who location was not zone-friendly. A Pittsburgh to Chicago trip cost the same number of points as a Miami to Chicago trip. NEC travel was not particularly zone friendly unless you were going a long haul like WAS-BOS.

Once the redemption ratios come out, then we'll have a better idea whether, like baseball teams approaching the trade deadline, we should be buyers or sellers. Until then, it is wait and see for me.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 2:02 pm

Programs: AGR Executive, UA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by NovaEngr
Without any details of the points to dollar ratios for redemptions, do we really know the program is being devalued? Yes, we can guess that based on prior experience with other programs, but it's not a fact until it's a fact.

Under the current zone system, there were certainly winners and losers. Winner's were those who booked last minute, who wanted to take a long meandering trip by sleeper, or happened to be located where the zones worked well (Florida, for example). A loser was someone who location was not zone-friendly. A Pittsburgh to Chicago trip cost the same number of points as a Miami to Chicago trip. NEC travel was not particularly zone friendly unless you were going a long haul like WAS-BOS.

Once the redemption ratios come out, then we'll have a better idea whether, like baseball teams approaching the trade deadline, we should be buyers or sellers. Until then, it is wait and see for me.
And thusly I have a gazillion points because unless you did a long haul WAS-BOS or last minute Regionals it was always reasonable to pay for the ticket and the day time Acelas were always blocked weekdays!

I think this may actually be favorable on the NE corridor. See my analysis in the new AGR redemption thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.