Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any recent Coast Starlight info?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2018, 1:08 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

"Is it still worth the bother?" If it was worth it before, it's probably worth it now. Removal of the Pacific Parlour Cars simply puts the Coast Starlight on the same footing as the other western long distance trains. There is still a Sightseer Lounge car, and there are still sights to see.

You must make your own call, of course. For me, the PPCs were a pleasant novelty, but hardly a make-or-break part of the experience. But then, I generally don't mind being "stuck in my cabin alone the whole time with breaks only for meals" and if I do, I can go to the SSL.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by ou81two
I don't want to be stuck in my cabin alone the whole time with breaks only for meals. That sounds like prison.
This really misses the beauty of how rail travel is so much nicer then air travel these days.

If you consider spending the trip sitting alone in your roomette the entire trip to be a bore, you have only yourself to blame. Nothing is stopping you from heading up to the Sightseer Lounge Car for a cup of coffee, a cocktail and/or a bit of conviviality meeting and chatting with your fellow passengers. The dining car with its communal seating is also a great place to meet your fellow travelers. Many casual friendships carry on beyond the dining car where you're bound to meet some interesting travelers. Most everyone has some great experiences to share and breakfast or luncheon table conversations often morph into get togethers in the lounge later. Those who are too shy to casually interact in such scenarios might very well be unhappy with the rail experience but for most people, one of the best parts of their trip is the people they meet along the way and the friendships that may result.
jackal likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by ou81two
I was planning a Coast Starlight trip and am sad to hear this. Is it still worth the bother? While I'm doing it for some RnR, I don't want to be stuck in my cabin alone the whole time with breaks only for meals. That sounds like prison.
Locking yourself in your roomette would be your choice, not the lack of a PPC. It is only a prison if you make it one yourself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.