Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any recent Coast Starlight info?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2015, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by jackal
I don't think it was ever free on the CS.

It was, as I recall, free on the EB for a time, but it went away during some round of cuts awhile back, and I wasn't sure if I'd heard that they'd reintroduced it, but I'm not surprised they didn't.

I've done it on the CS three times, including several years ago when it was $5. Objectively, it's not even worth $5--I've paid $5 for much better wine tastings than the wines they pour--but the social atmosphere and fun of tasting in an historic car while scenery passes you by is worth $6.50, so you're only really paying $1 for the tasting itself.
It was free for many years. It is probably only in the last five years or so, they began charging for it.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 3:00 pm

Programs: DL 2MM, Marriott LTT, Hilton Gold, United Silver
I don't think it was ever free on the CS.

It was, as I recall, free on the EB for a time, but it went away during some round of cuts awhile back, and I wasn't sure if I'd heard that they'd reintroduced it, but I'm not surprised they didn't.

I've done it on the CS three times, including several years ago when it was $5. Objectively, it's not even worth $5--I've paid $5 for much better wine tastings than the wines they pour--but the social atmosphere and fun of tasting in an historic car while scenery passes you by is worth $6.50, so you're only really paying $1 for the tasting itself.
On our trip that left Chicago on March 30, 2014, we attended what I was told was the last free wine tasting on the Empire Builder.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 2:25 pm

Regarding arriving in Seattle, the schedule says around 8:30 p.m., but Amtrak also says the on-time performance is somewhere between 80-85%, on the average. So we're taking the Coast Starlight into Seattle, arriving on a Sunday night, and we're trying to plan wisely.

We need to fly out from SEA a week later, so our tentative plan is to hire an Uber or a cab ride from King Street Station and stay one night in a hotel relatively close to the airport. That way, I can rent a car the next morning (close to SEA), and it will be an easy return a week later.

I know there is light rail from near King Street Station to SEA, but what I don't know is typically how late the Coast Starlight comes in. With 80-85% on-time performance, about one in five arrivals is late, but how late is late?
Old Jul 11, 2015, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by zippy the pinhead
Regarding arriving in Seattle, the schedule says around 8:30 p.m., but Amtrak also says the on-time performance is somewhere between 80-85%, on the average. So we're taking the Coast Starlight into Seattle, arriving on a Sunday night, and we're trying to plan wisely.

We need to fly out from SEA a week later, so our tentative plan is to hire an Uber or a cab ride from King Street Station and stay one night in a hotel relatively close to the airport. That way, I can rent a car the next morning (close to SEA), and it will be an easy return a week later.

I know there is light rail from near King Street Station to SEA, but what I don't know is typically how late the Coast Starlight comes in. With 80-85% on-time performance, about one in five arrivals is late, but how late is late?
Unfortunately average is something trains aren't...

Check out http://www.amtrakdelays.onlineschedulingsoftware.com/. I plugged in 14 for 4 weeks and their numbers show Average Delay of 32 minutes. That's with the range of 44 minutes early to 262 minutes late! So it can be a total crapshoot with what will happen for your trip.

The area around the station is not the greatest but should be safe. Downtown is not that far away, so you might check for properties that will send a shuttle and you can call as you approach the station.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Unfortunately average is something trains aren't...

Check out http://www.amtrakdelays.onlineschedulingsoftware.com/. I plugged in 14 for 4 weeks and their numbers show Average Delay of 32 minutes. That's with the range of 44 minutes early to 262 minutes late! So it can be a total crapshoot with what will happen for your trip.

The area around the station is not the greatest but should be safe. Downtown is not that far away, so you might check for properties that will send a shuttle and you can call as you approach the station.
I really appreciate that link... very helpful. I'll keep an eye on that train's performance.

I've seen that downtown Seattle hotels can be pricey; provided one has a car, is there a compelling reason to stay downtown, as opposed to down by the airport?
Old Jul 11, 2015, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
I really appreciate that link... very helpful. I'll keep an eye on that train's performance.

I've seen that downtown Seattle hotels can be pricey; provided one has a car, is there a compelling reason to stay downtown, as opposed to down by the airport?
I was thinking for your first night to be in a better neighborhood, but doesn't sound like you'll be there long so may not matter. I see several within a half mile of the station.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 9:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG, AA, B6. No longer "still CO to me" with account spent down. RIP CO.

I know the timing question has been answered to greatest extent possible, but in case you're looking at SEA hotels. If you're Marriott, the Courtyard near SEA was clean, quiet and nice - also featured a shuttle to/ from the airport's light rail station.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
What you save in hotel rates (cheaper airport vs. downtown) may easily be eaten by higher airport car rental rates, taxes, and fees. I would look at staying downtown, picking up a car downtown when you're ready to depart, and returning the car at the airport.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by travellingcari
I know the timing question has been answered to greatest extent possible, but in case you're looking at SEA hotels. If you're Marriott, the Courtyard near SEA was clean, quiet and nice - also featured a shuttle to/ from the airport's light rail station.
We appreciate that, and it is one of the places we're looking at.

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
What you save in hotel rates (cheaper airport vs. downtown) may easily be eaten by higher airport car rental rates, taxes, and fees. I would look at staying downtown, picking up a car downtown when you're ready to depart, and returning the car at the airport.
I had noticed that as well when I was pricing some rental car arrangements. From what I was seeing the difference in price for a week-long rental was $50-$60 more if picking up from and returning to SEA.

We're looking at rates for hotels near SEA and elsewhere.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG, AA, B6. No longer "still CO to me" with account spent down. RIP CO.
My business class review:

3) The Amtrak press release says "Access to the Pacific Parlour Car" and "Access to the Parlor Car had
previously been limited to only Sleeping Car passengers, implying that business-class passengers would be able to visit the Parlour Car. (As well, the $6 coupon specifically says on it that it is valid in the Parlour Car.) Unfortunately, I tried and was told that I was only welcome for the wine tasting and that they did not have room to allow non-sleeper passengers in the car. This is understandable as it does get quite full, but a big part of the reason I doubled the cost of my coach ticket was because I was led to believe that I would have access to the Parlour Car, so this was quite disappointing.
Just got the official Amtrak email on the addition and here's the revised relevant portion:

-Invitation to the Pacific Parlour car wine tastings events (an additional $7.50 fee)
Old Jul 19, 2015, 1:23 am

Programs: AGR, UA, AA

Light rail runs at 10 minute frequencies fairly late in the evening all the way until 12:40 am. So aside from a train which is four or more hours late (most likely due to some collision or similar incident) you should be able to make your way south.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 7:59 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Looking to book a trip in October and it looks like they've eliminated the Business Class option on the Oakland-Los Angeles Segment.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 8:51 am

quick question :
we are planning for a trip in April 2016 trip in coast starlight (Bedroom) and want to book asap before devaluation, northbound which offers most scenery?
LAX-SEA or SJC-SEA,
The reason I am considering SJC is because I have friends in SJC and was thinking of meeting them...not compulsory but seeing the map from LAX-SJC train runs on coast and wanted to know if it is too good to be not missed?
Old Aug 14, 2015, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by airride
quick question :
we are planning for a trip in April 2016 trip in coast starlight (Bedroom) and want to book asap before devaluation, northbound which offers most scenery?
LAX-SEA or SJC-SEA,
The reason I am considering SJC is because I have friends in SJC and was thinking of meeting them...not compulsory but seeing the map from LAX-SJC train runs on coast and wanted to know if it is too good to be not missed?
LAX-SJC runs along the coast, which is quite scenic. It also runs for an extended period through an area not otherwise accessible by automobile along the coast inside Vandenberg Air Force Base (the rocket launch sites visible from the train are a bonus).

SJC-SEA spends quite a bit of time roaming through flat river valleys (both California's Central Valley and Oregon's Willamette Valley) with tons of agriculture but spends a good chunk of one morning winding its way through the densely forested Cascade Range. I don't recall there being any specific "killer" vistas, but it's a very beautiful ride as well.

It just depends on what you think you'd enjoy--ocean or mountains. Personally, I'd give the scenic nod to the ocean (even though I typically enjoy mountains more than oceans).

LAX-SJC by train is an easy day-trip. I wouldn't spend all those points for that as you'll really have no need for the sleeper amenities, unless you really want to test out the Parlour Car.

Since it's the same number of points for LAX-SJC as LAX-SEA, why not do the whole thing? If visiting your friends in SJC is important, visit them first and then make your way from there to L.A. (it's a six-hour drive, and rental car one-ways are generally not too cost-prohibitive within California, or you can take Amtrak) and then start in LAX and do the whole thing northbound.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 11:57 am

LAX-SJC runs along the coast, which is quite scenic. It also runs for an extended period through an area not otherwise accessible by automobile along the coast inside Vandenberg Air Force Base (the rocket launch sites visible from the train are a bonus).

SJC-SEA spends quite a bit of time roaming through flat river valleys (both California's Central Valley and Oregon's Willamette Valley) with tons of agriculture but spends a good chunk of one morning winding its way through the densely forested Cascade Range. I don't recall there being any specific "killer" vistas, but it's a very beautiful ride as well.

It just depends on what you think you'd enjoy--ocean or mountains. Personally, I'd give the scenic nod to the ocean (even though I typically enjoy mountains more than oceans).

LAX-SJC by train is an easy day-trip. I wouldn't spend all those points for that as you'll really have no need for the sleeper amenities, unless you really want to test out the Parlour Car.

Since it's the same number of points for LAX-SJC as LAX-SEA, why not do the whole thing? If visiting your friends in SJC is important, visit them first and then make your way from there to L.A. (it's a six-hour drive, and rental car one-ways are generally not too cost-prohibitive within California, or you can take Amtrak) and then start in LAX and do the whole thing northbound.
Thanks for the input, my original question was to do whether
LAX-SEA or
SJC-SEA
my end point is SEA as i want to attend tulip fest at SEA (early April).
i wasnt sure what I will miss between LAX-SJC...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.