Wiki Posts
Search

Canadian Centurion (2008 - 2023)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2008, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Canadian Centurion (2008 - 2023)

Just received the following:

"Centurion membership will soon be available for the first time in Canada. And, it would be our pleasure to invite you to apply to be one of our inaugural Canadian Centurion members" Details to follow.

Anyone have an idea of what they will charge Cdns and what perks would be available?
Old Nov 27, 2008, 10:56 am

Wow, just came on to post that the Centurion card is in Canada.

Called Amex thismorning to inquire about the card. The Platinum charge card rep told me a phone number in Ontario for information on the card.

The Canada centurion rep, answered the phone emediately with "Goodmorning American Express Centurion Card services". Upon inquiring about the card, she mentioned the program IS IN Canada right now, but invite only. She unfortunately could not provide ANY information except that the best thing to have is a platinum card to get the invite.

W00t, hoping I get one of these invites...

Just curious MrCA, don't have to answer, but for you to get that invite, how much do you pop on your card per year? And when did you receive the invite in the mail?
Old Nov 27, 2008, 11:59 am
Original Poster

duplicate

Last edited by MrCA; Nov 27, 2008 at 1:45 pm Reason: posted twice
Old Nov 27, 2008, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

"Just curious MrCA, don't have to answer, but for you to get that invite, how much do you pop on your card per year? And when did you receive the invite in the mail? "

Received in the mail yesterday. In excess of 250 each yr.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 12:39 pm

Did the invite that come in the mail have any information on the card?
Old Nov 27, 2008, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

No info whatsoever. Just saying that a personal invitation to apply will be coming shortly.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 4:45 pm

Thanks for responding...

Actually just talked to a rep again.

For everyone else not as fortunate as MrCA, the campaign is being released Nation wide (not limited to certian provinces). It is a slow implementation, so All invites aren't being sent out at once, more and more gradually being sent out.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 5:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K
i'm very curious as to how much this cost as well.. i phoned and they're being very secret secret about the features and annual fees....
Old Dec 1, 2008, 8:28 am

Programs: Amex Centurion
I called Platinum customer service and was told it was only in the United States. I said I was pretty sure I had read it was in Canada so she went to check.

She came back and said that they are only sending out invitations to a select few and they only transfer the call if you get an invitation. I had asked if there was a number to call to say you were interested in an invitation and she said no.

Do you think the requirements are the same as in the US? I haven't had my platinum card for a year yet, but have spent a significant amount on the card (personal card).
Old Dec 1, 2008, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by mark_f
I called Platinum customer service and was told it was only in the United States. I said I was pretty sure I had read it was in Canada so she went to check.

She came back and said that they are only sending out invitations to a select few and they only transfer the call if you get an invitation. I had asked if there was a number to call to say you were interested in an invitation and she said no.

Do you think the requirements are the same as in the US? I haven't had my platinum card for a year yet, but have spent a significant amount on the card (personal card).
I'm sorry to hear they wouldn't provide any details. That can get pretty frusterating... I'm wondering if they provided me with the number and transfered me cuz I'm getting an invite. I'm going to try not to keep my hopes up... lol

When I talked to Canada's Centurion representative, she said she didn't have too much information about the program, however she said that she has NOT heard that there is a minimum spending req unlike the US. However she said "don't hold me to that, because I could be wrong." She also went on to proceed to mention that the Marketing department has all the details, and they actually don't know.

If you've done a signifigant amount, don't get too down yet. I think they look at your prior history with the card, and at the same time, I think they'd probably wait a full 12 months before a flag is hit in their system to send out an invite...

If anyone else has any details or gets an invite, please post! Don't leave us in the dark! lol So far only one mention of someone in Eastern Canada getting an invite.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 10:06 am

you should expect invitation only to get the program going (regardless of spending)
followed by anyone who can breath and spends $250,000/year Minimum.
In all cases yearly membership of $2500.00 and $1500.00 (per Year)
respectively.

The only wild card (unknown) is if AMEX managed to get Air Canada on
board with upgrades. (to try to "Canada"the program.) probably will include
to US airlines.

The rest pretty similar to Platinum Canadian Card.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by rainman007
you should expect invitation only to get the program going (regardless of spending)
followed by anyone who can breath and spends $250,000/year Minimum.
In all cases yearly membership of $2500.00 and $1500.00 (per Year)
respectively.

The only wild card (unknown) is if AMEX managed to get Air Canada on
board with upgrades. (to try to "Canada"the program.) probably will include
to US airlines.

The rest pretty similar to Platinum Canadian Card.
Do you have any info on the Canadian program or is this the "expected" kinda info?
Old Dec 1, 2008, 2:22 pm

Programs: AC *E
It will be interesting to see how Amex tries to justify the extra cost of a black card in Canada. There may not be that many additonal perks that are available and highly relevant in the Canadian market.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 4:58 pm

more info

Hello everyone,

I called AMEX about this some time ago, and I was told that the biggest problem for AMEX were canadian banking regulations which provide for limits on exclusivity. As I understand it, there will certainly be more generalized and reasonable rules about those who can obtain the card for several reasons:

(A) Most importantly, there just aren't enough high end spenders in Canada to make a high-end card viable unless they open it up to more people. For example, the super-exclusive (not) Visa Infinite card is available through most banks carrying Visa for those making over 60K with a good credit history. This is the same amount required for AMEX's platinum. If AMEX wants to make money on service charges from participating merchants, people need to have the card. It is likely, then, that the annual fee will be less than it is the US, but more than the platinum, currently 399 CDN.

(B) Canadian banking regulations don't allow for too much exclusivity, and many this will probably also impact the AMEX rules.
Old Dec 3, 2008, 12:12 am

Programs: AC*SE, AC*MM, SPG Gold, FPC Plat, HHonors Diamond, PC Plat Elite, R&C Club 5C, Hyatt GP
Originally Posted by Infinitewantabe
...canadian banking regulations which provide for limits on exclusivity

...Canadian banking regulations don't allow for too much exclusivity..
How so?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.