Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 30, 2015, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelingZoomer
American Express typically allows USA cardholders to have a maximum of four credit cards, plus an unspecified number of charge cards. Personal and Business cards count against this cap. Some individuals have more credit cards if opened before the cap was instituted. Anecdotal evidence indicates the limit may have been raised to five in early 2016.

Edit: As of May 19, 2020, Amex has confirmed the limit is four lending (credit) cards, and ten charge cards. Source

Centurion, Platinum, Plum, Gold, and Green are charge cards.

American Express issues both charge and credit cards for three co-brand partners:
  • Charles Schwab
  • Morgan Stanley

All others are credit cards. This includes all variants of Everyday, Blue, and many discontinued cards. It includes all co-branded cards currently issued for:
  • Delta
  • Hilton
  • Lowes
  • Marriott
Print Wikipost

Amex USA 4 or 5 "Credit" Card Limit.

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2017, 4:24 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by gnomey
...canceling an Amex MR card doesnt lead to MR points forfeiture, as long as you pay the balance
This is incomplete information. You must have another card linked to the same Membership Rewards account or the points will void in 30 days. All documented here:

https://rewards.americanexpress.com/...=footer-tandc#

If you voluntarily cancel your enrollment in the program but keep at least one American Express® Card open and in good standing, you'll have up to 30 days from the date of cancellation to use any points in your program account. If you cancel your enrollment in the program and don't keep open any American Express Cards, all points in your program account will be immediately forfeited.
Old May 27, 2017, 4:42 am

Originally Posted by mia
This is incomplete information. You must have another card linked to the same Membership Rewards account or the points will void in 30 days. All documented here:

https://rewards.americanexpress.com/...=footer-tandc#

Ok I should make clear that in my case and also in the scenario where that statement was made, one will still own at least one other MR-earning card after the intended cancellation

So having said that , is it true that cancelling an MR earning card while still having points pending (or about to become pending) for that cancelled card, but not yet posted , will still allow you to get those points posted later (i.e. not forfeited) ?
Old May 27, 2017, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok I should make clear that in my case and also in the scenario where that statement was made, one will still own at least one other MR-earning card after the intended cancellation

So having said that , is it true that cancelling an MR earning card while still having points pending (or about to become pending) for that cancelled card, but not yet posted , will still allow you to get those points posted later (i.e. not forfeited) ?
Why don't you list the 5 credit cards you have from Amex? Are you sure they're all credit cards and not charge cards? (I ask that because most Amex MR cards are charge cards.)

Amex doesn't seem to spell out what happens in the case you're asking, and perhaps not many people have performed that "experiment" (and that's what it would take for data points). So that's why wondering if there's any other possible solution to your dilemma, but I can't being suggest that without a list of your 5 Amex credit cards.
Old May 27, 2017, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Why don't you list the 5 credit cards you have from Amex? Are you sure they're all credit cards and not charge cards? (I ask that because most Amex MR cards are charge cards.)

Amex doesn't seem to spell out what happens in the case you're asking, and perhaps not many people have performed that "experiment" (and that's what it would take for data points). So that's why wondering if there's any other possible solution to your dilemma, but I can't being suggest that without a list of your 5 Amex credit cards.
1 SPG
1 EDP
1 Delta
1 Blue for Biz
1 Hilton surpass

All are obviously credit cards. It is not that hard to figure out when the CL is clearly listed in your online login. And I have a couple of charge cards as well but they are irrelevant to the issue here

And I want to apply Hilton no AF before May 31
Old May 28, 2017, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1 SPG
1 EDP
1 Delta
1 Blue for Biz
1 Hilton surpass

All are obviously credit cards. It is not that hard to figure out when the CL is clearly listed in your online login. And I have a couple of charge cards as well but they are irrelevant to the issue here

And I want to apply Hilton no AF before May 31
How long have you have the Delta and what are you getting out of it? In my case, I'd probably dump that (or an other airline card) first in such a dilemma.

The other thing to look into is how long your HH Gold status will last (if you need the Surpass for it) if you cancel the Surpass right now. Once you have had the no-fee Hilton Amex for a while, you'll be able to upgrade back to the Surpass from that.

Any card which earned partner points doesn't have the long-wait issue of Membership Rewards points.
Old May 28, 2017, 11:56 am

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
How long have you have the Delta and what are you getting out of it? In my case, I'd probably dump that (or an other airline card) first in such a dilemma..
Agreed. The Delta card is only going to give you free bags or a $30 discount on entrance to Sky Clubs. Unless you're using the card for that, why keep it?
Old May 28, 2017, 1:30 pm

How long have you have the Delta and what are you getting out of it? In my case, I'd probably dump that (or an other airline card) first in such a dilemma.

The other thing to look into is how long your HH Gold status will last (if you need the Surpass for it) if you cancel the Surpass right now. Once you have had the no-fee Hilton Amex for a while, you'll be able to upgrade back to the Surpass from that.

Any card which earned partner points doesn't have the long-wait issue of Membership Rewards points.
Delta card was only for sign up bonus miles to redeem an expensive intraregional international flight

Yes - agree that canceling a non-MR card might circumvent the problem slightly since points post immediately and not with one statement delay. Just that I prefer to cancel a card that is closer to 11 months old which is the EDP card out of the pile. However canceling a non-MR card will technically allow me to cancel it sometime after 6/5 after its points post - which allows me to apply Hilton no AF on 5/31 , get declined, then recon a week later I guess. Hopefully it works

I might also consider canceling Hilton surpass since I beleieve having that account precludes you from getting the upgrade offer when you also have Hilton no AF right? So that is also another thought
Old May 30, 2017, 7:16 am

Programs: SAA, DL, BA, UA, IHG, SPG
Is there any specific amount of time I should wait from the time I close my 5th credit card to the time I apply for another one?
Old May 30, 2017, 9:11 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by aviationwiz
Is there any specific amount of time I should wait from the time I close my 5th credit card to the time I apply for another one?
No there is not, in fact lets hope you're still eligible for the fifth one.

If they want you to have five its available now.

I got my fifth instantly approve March '16.

I applied for a sixth (Blue for Business) last month (Feb '17), got a pending. They called me and told me five was the limit and asked me what card I wanted to close, They moved the credit to the new card.

You don't have to wait.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

hit with a rejection with 5 current cards - first ever from amex
in the past it was never a problem however the card i closed recently was pretty old (prob 10 yr) so perhaps it wasnt included in count
closed one more, requested a manual review - they couldn't do anything over the phone
Old Jun 29, 2017, 7:47 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
I'm at the point where I don't need or desire over 4 Amex credit cards. In fact, 2 is enough along with 1 or 2 of their charge cards.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 7:34 pm

Questions about cancelling my 5th AMEX credit card to apply for Blue Business Plus

I have 5 Amex Credit cards (plus some charge cards.) My credit cards are:

Hilton Surpass
Platinum Delta
Starwood Preferred Personal
Amex Everyday
Starwood Business

I would like to apply for The Blue Business Plus card but I expect my application would be denied if I apply now since it would be my 6th AMEX credit card.

I am OK with cancelling my Starwood Business card if it will facilitate approval for the Blue Business Plus but I am not sure when to cancel:
Should I apply and let AMEX turn down my application and try to get them to reconsider in return for cancelling the Starwood Business card?

Or should I cancel my Starwood Business card first and subsequently apply for the Blue Business Platinum?

If so, how long do I need to wait after cancelling the Starwood Business before I apply for the Blue Business Plus?
Old Sep 13, 2017, 8:32 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by barbh2
Should I apply and let AMEX turn down my application and try to get them to reconsider in return for cancelling the Starwood Business card?
/\
Do this.

When I applied for my Blue Business while holding five, it went pending and they called me the next day to ask what card did I want to close. I closed my BCP and transferred the credit line to Blue Business.

Another fellow closed his fifth card and applied and couldn't get back to five.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by mhdena
/\
Do this.

When I applied for my Blue Business while holding five, it went pending and they called me the next day to ask what card did I want to close. I closed my BCP and transferred the credit line to Blue Business.

100% agree. I do the same as well.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by mhdena
/\
Do this.

100% agree. I do the same as well.

mhdena and gnomey:
Thanks for the GREAT ADVISE. I applied even though I had 5 credit cards already, and just like you said, my application went to pending and AMEX called me to tell me I could only have 5 credit cards, and offered to close one of my cards so I could open the Blue Business Plus card. I told them which card I wanted to close, they closed it and approved me for the Blue Business Plus card during the phone call. My Blue Business Plus card came by UPS today.
mhdena and gnomey like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.