Wiki Posts
Search

Equinox Fitness Benefit [All cards, consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2008, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
Equinox Fitness Benefit [All cards, consolidated]

I've been looking for a gym to join in the Bay Area and I noticed that there's an Equinox club very close to my work. Given that Equinox has some Centurion benefits, I thought I'd look into it and find out some more info.

Here's an email I got from the Cent. concierge with more information on the program:

I have contacted the Equinox membership customer service line today regarding your question about rates and policies...[snip]... discounted initiation rate of $170 and up for a select membership or $310 and up for All Access membership. Please see below for the list of additional benefits.

-5 Personal training sessions
-10 Childcare sessions
-20% off one time purchase at the shop
-5 guest passes
-3 additional spa sessions
-Complimentary E assessment
-Open invitation to E (invitation only elite training center).
-After the first year, members will receive 2 training sessions with the purchase of 6, an additional 2 shop coupons and 2 spa sessions with the purchase of 10.
*Note: Card members must pay their dues with their Centurion Card.

If you have any questions or if I can do anything else to assist you, please do not hesitate to contact us. Thank you.
Looks like a pretty good list of amenities...

Has anybody here made use of this benefit? If so, what do you think of the clubs. I'm still waiting for a response to my reply back to this email, but I'm curious if anybody happens to know if the $310 select membership is a monthly rate or for a different period of time?
Old Mar 3, 2008, 3:16 pm

Programs: amex plat, amex starwoods
in nyc theres a lot of equinoxes i'm pretty sure most corporate discounts and even the platinum give you no initiation fee
Old Mar 3, 2008, 4:20 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion
Its a decent benefit. The initiation isnt bad considering the 3 free massages are worth it alone. 20% off purchases at the shop is good cause they mark everything up about 500%. Don't forget your tshirt its $60-$80 at the shop. The E club assessment is extremely good. However the actual E club membership is insane. 25k/yr for a gym membership is slightly excessive and by far not worth it for what it is if you ask me.....but hey they'll deduct the regular membership initiation from that 25k if you sign for E club.
Old Mar 3, 2008, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sct4a
Its a decent benefit. The initiation isnt bad considering the 3 free massages are worth it alone. 20% off purchases at the shop is good cause they mark everything up about 500%. Don't forget your tshirt its $60-$80 at the shop. The E club assessment is extremely good. However the actual E club membership is insane. 25k/yr for a gym membership is slightly excessive and by far not worth it for what it is if you ask me.....but hey they'll deduct the regular membership initiation from that 25k if you sign for E club.
I'm assuming you're a member...what does your monthly membership fee come out to?
Old Mar 3, 2008, 5:46 pm

Programs: amex gold, hhonors gold, spg gold :)
Originally Posted by brosnan6
I'm assuming you're a member...what does your monthly membership fee come out to?
I am in the bay area as well and at the end of last year they had special for cal access for $144/month. no initiation and all the same benefit. i use the ones in palo alto (pretty decent) and san mateo (workout area is in the basement, don't ask me why) and been to the san fran location a couple of times. very high ceiling and great set up, from what i recall. when you go into talk with these sales folks at the club, be sure to ask them to waive the initial fees. from what i recall, i think they were able to do it for me despite the fact that it wasn't offered up front. and if you refer people, you get one free month added to the end of your contract (1 year term).

-hchon
Old Mar 4, 2008, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hchon
I am in the bay area as well and at the end of last year they had special for cal access for $144/month. no initiation and all the same benefit. i use the ones in palo alto (pretty decent) and san mateo (workout area is in the basement, don't ask me why) and been to the san fran location a couple of times. very high ceiling and great set up, from what i recall. when you go into talk with these sales folks at the club, be sure to ask them to waive the initial fees. from what i recall, i think they were able to do it for me despite the fact that it wasn't offered up front. and if you refer people, you get one free month added to the end of your contract (1 year term).

-hchon
If I joined, I'd be looking at the Palo Alto location as well since my office is close by in Mt. View. If you got a promo rate at 144 a month, it's quite possible that the 310 I was told is the monthly rate !
I'd be willing to pay the rate you're paying, but definitely not double that!

I'll try to set up a meeting with their membership director and see if they have anything else to add to try and sell me on joining.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 5:40 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, Avis PC, Global Entry
If I joined, I'd be looking at the Palo Alto location as well since my office is close by in Mt. View. If you got a promo rate at 144 a month, it's quite possible that the 310 I was told is the monthly rate !
I'd be willing to pay the rate you're paying, but definitely not double that!

I'll try to set up a meeting with their membership director and see if they have anything else to add to try and sell me on joining.
I can't imagine they're charging $310/mo. Even Sports Club LA in SF is only (relative, of course) charging $150/mo to someone who just walks in the door with no connections.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 8:48 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by MumbaiFlyer
I can't imagine they're charging $310/mo. Even Sports Club LA in SF is only (relative, of course) charging $150/mo to someone who just walks in the door with no connections.
It's really all relative ;-) For example the Sports Club/LA Upper East Side in New York starts at $168 plus an exorbitant (often reduced) initiation fee to use the one club. Reebok (the other Sports Club/LA club in NYC) is over $200 from what I've heard (it's all the way across town ;-) ) and a membership in either at the "Executive" level (special locker room and access to multiple gyms) is over $300.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 9:01 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion
No I did a trial membership there. There is no monthly fee its an annual fee of 25k....minus your $200 normal membership initiation fee of course.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 9:08 pm

Programs: amex plat, amex starwoods
25k? thats a bit ridiculous even for a cent member i would say. Might as well just get personal training sessions at like velocity fitness (gym geared for elite athletes).
Old Mar 4, 2008, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sct4a
No I did a trial membership there. There is no monthly fee its an annual fee of 25k....minus your $200 normal membership initiation fee of course.
You're talking about the "E" (elite training center) membership right? I don't think the actual Equinox costs $25k a year... I'm curious about the actual Equinox gym
Old Mar 4, 2008, 10:42 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold
You're talking about the "E" (elite training center) membership right? I don't think the actual Equinox costs $25k a year... I'm curious about the actual Equinox gym

It is approx $150/month for the all-access membership.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 10:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dkelly1110
It is approx $150/month for the all-access membership.
Much more reasonable...now if only I could pay in MR points (new redemption option perhaps?) this would become an awesome deal
Old Mar 5, 2008, 12:03 pm

I love Equinox gym, I just wish there were more in NJ Was a big fan in NYC. The E Club sounds insane, however, interesting...like most things that are an absorbent amount of money.
Old Mar 5, 2008, 2:54 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others

I paid when I actually went to a gym $50/month in Chicago Lifetime fitness and I can go to any lifetime in the USA with my card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.