Wiki Posts
Search

Switching Amex cards

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2008, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO PLT,DL Plat (status match),BD Gold, Amex Plat, SPG Plat, PC Plat
Switching Amex cards

I saw a thread a while back addressing this topic (if you find the link then please post)

What Amex cards can be swapped? For example If I have a Blue and want to swap it for a SPG - does that require a new app or a swap? (Note: you can get the signup offer when swapping)
Old Jan 20, 2008, 3:52 pm

what I would like to know is how do I un-student my blue for students card
Old Jan 20, 2008, 7:44 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAMM & PLT; UA Gold, DL Silver, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold Club
Originally Posted by sammyh
I saw a thread a while back addressing this topic (if you find the link then please post)

What Amex cards can be swapped? For example If I have a Blue and want to swap it for a SPG - does that require a new app or a swap? (Note: you can get the signup offer when swapping)
I just did the reverse swap...everything stayed the same and no new app or credit pull.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by articledon
I changed between the blues (sky to regular) and needed no new application.

Remember that the rewards programs are entirely different (BS vs MR)and was swapped.^
Old Jan 20, 2008, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jamflyer
I just did the reverse swap...everything stayed the same and no new app or credit pull.
Curious why you would do that (besides to save the $45 annual fee)
Old Jan 20, 2008, 10:27 pm

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
From all of the reports I have read, you won't get signup bonuses for a card conversion. Why not just apply for the new one and stop using the old one? The credit inquiry won't affect your fico more than a few points, and you can always close and reallocate your credit line later if you want.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by articledon
I heard they upgrade you to the regular blue or blue sky after a while, although I'm still not sure as to the difference between the regular blue and blue for students, other than the bigger credit line and slightly more favorable interest rate.

I also have a blue for students but I'm quite happy with it.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 6:29 am
Original Member

Programs: AAMM & PLT; UA Gold, DL Silver, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold Club
Originally Posted by sammyh
Curious why you would do that (besides to save the $45 annual fee)
I am giving the Thank You Network a try - even with the recent "devaluation", for me it works best because of its earning ability and flexibility. With a Marriott timeshare and Marriott being my hotel of choice for work travel, SPG just will not get a lot of play at this time. I need to earn another 85,000 points to get another package Marriott award - maybe once I acheive that I will switch stays to Starwoods - maybe - but after 15 years of staying at Marriotts and a few Starwood stays here and there its going to be very difficult to leave Marriott.

Last edited by jamflyer; Jan 21, 2008 at 6:41 am
Old Jan 21, 2008, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Originally Posted by tev9999
From all of the reports I have read, you won't get signup bonuses for a card conversion. Why not just apply for the new one and stop using the old one? The credit inquiry won't affect your fico more than a few points, and you can always close and reallocate your credit line later if you want.
This is correct, seems to me the only reason to 'switch' would be if you were about to go on the mortgage market but wanted a different Amex card.

Even if Amex won't give you additional credit, if you signup for a new card they'll reallocate your existing credit for you (you can adjust later).

Of course, if denied for a new card you could then ask to switch. But if you want the signup bonus you'll need to apply anew. (One exception to this - there was a report of switching from DL Amex to SPG Amex where the person switching didn't get signup bonus fo rthe SPG Amex but DID get incremental bonus points for their first SPG stays).
Old Jan 21, 2008, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gleff
This is correct, seems to me the only reason to 'switch' would be if you were about to go on the mortgage market but wanted a different Amex card.

Even if Amex won't give you additional credit, if you signup for a new card they'll reallocate your existing credit for you (you can adjust later).

Of course, if denied for a new card you could then ask to switch. But if you want the signup bonus you'll need to apply anew. (One exception to this - there was a report of switching from DL Amex to SPG Amex where the person switching didn't get signup bonus fo rthe SPG Amex but DID get incremental bonus points for their first SPG stays).
I am not sure you are entirely correct I have recieved a signup bonus for switching cards before........when calling the retention line and trying to cancel then went thru the many options of alternate cards (some were not switchable ...hence my question as the op) and chose one that came with the signup bonus!
Old Jan 22, 2008, 12:11 am

Programs: HH Gold, Delta Gold
Blue to Hilton?

Convert from Blue to Hilton. Can this be done without the application process?

Thanks
Old Jan 22, 2008, 9:40 am

I got my blue for student in 2001 and I finished school in 2003.
It is now 7 years since I got my card and it is still a student card. It doesnt say student on the card anymore but the account is a student account. my credit limit on it is 15K.

But the blue for student does have limitations. for one thing you cant add authorized users.

Originally Posted by stupidhead
I heard they upgrade you to the regular blue or blue sky after a while, although I'm still not sure as to the difference between the regular blue and blue for students, other than the bigger credit line and slightly more favorable interest rate.

I also have a blue for students but I'm quite happy with it.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 11:46 am

Programs: United 1K,Marriott Platinum Premier,IHC Platinum Ambassador,Hilton Gold
I switched from a Gold to a Platinum and there WAS a HARD credit pull and new account number issued..
Old Jan 22, 2008, 2:23 pm

I recently switched from a Starwood (to avoid the annual fee) to a Blue Sky. AMEX did a hard pull (after saying they would not), and they reduced my credit limit from $24,900 to $2,000. I wish I would have just closed the card.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 2:31 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by HappyKat
I recently switched from a Starwood (to avoid the annual fee) to a Blue Sky. AMEX did a hard pull (after saying they would not), and they reduced my credit limit from $24,900 to $2,000. I wish I would have just closed the card.

If they do this I will just close the card as well. Only reason I did not do that in the first place was to keep the credit line for FICO purposes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.