Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transfer MR to KrisFlyer Miles, is this a good deal?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2007, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Transfer MR to KrisFlyer Miles, is this a good deal?

I think I just found a pretty good deal https://www.singaporeair.com/saa/en_...trip_14Nov.pdf

Only 25k for USA and 60k for Israel...

(Plus they allow free stopovers)

here is the good part if you have AMEX MR, as you avoid the "excise taxes" since this is not a US airline

Plus they list on their website that you save 15% of your miles when you book an award online.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 3:48 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Lifetime Gold
Can somebody tell me how long MR points when transferred to KRIS FLYER post? I know CO, VS and DL are instant.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 6:35 pm

Premium cabin redemptions are ridiculous. 140k/200k J/F from USA to Southeast Asia?
Old Dec 17, 2007, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

krisflyer unrestricted awards are the only way to get SQ's new J/F. the amount required really doesnt factor in, in that particular case.

although that doesnt include the new F suite. seems like they plan to never have awards for it.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 4:41 am

Programs: Hertz PC, Avis PC, Global Entry
Originally Posted by mtparadis
Premium cabin redemptions are ridiculous. 140k/200k J/F from USA to Southeast Asia?
Is 140k really that ridiculous for business class to SE Asia? It's 100k for VS from SFO->LHR. Wouldn't it make sense, given that a typical SE Asia trip is at least 1.5 times longer, that it'd be around there?
Old Dec 18, 2007, 5:23 am

SQ from EWR-MLE is 160K/ticket in J.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by MumbaiFlyer
Is 140k really that ridiculous for business class to SE Asia? It's 100k for VS from SFO->LHR. Wouldn't it make sense, given that a typical SE Asia trip is at least 1.5 times longer, that it'd be around there?
You can use UA miles and get to SE Asia for 90k in J. So yes, 140k is ridiculous.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 6:32 am

I did such a transfer, AMEX MR to Krisflyer a few weeks ago. AMEX said it could take ten business days, or so. It ended up taking much less, maybe about 4 - 5 days, max.

For the flights I booked, the number of miles required, including the 15% online booking discount, was less than for other airlines and in view of SQs service, a no brainer. And, dealing with Krisflyer's mileage redemptions folks was night and day from dealing with those of some US carriers.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by flyr16
I did such a transfer, AMEX MR to Krisflyer a few weeks ago. AMEX said it could take ten business days, or so. It ended up taking much less, maybe about 4 - 5 days, max.

For the flights I booked, the number of miles required, including the 15% online booking discount, was less than for other airlines and in view of SQs service, a no brainer. And, dealing with Krisflyer's mileage redemptions folks was night and day from dealing with those of some US carriers.
Thank you. Did Krisflyer hold the reservation when you waited for the transfers to be complete?
Old Dec 18, 2007, 7:35 am

Funny you should ask: No.

That is a real issue with Krisflyer. They want the miles in your account before they will ticket or even hold the reservation. Since AMEX MR to Krisflyer isn't instantaneous (why is that? isn't it computer to computer?), you run a risk of not having the reservation available when the miles "hit" your Krisflyer account. However, I think once you initiate the transfer, after a day or so you can get a "confirm number," or some such thing, from AMEX MR, showing that the miles are en route to Krisflyer. With that, they may be able to ticket/hold the reservation.
Good luck.

One more thing, though AMEX says once the miles are transferred, they are gone for good, if you do transfer them, and the SQ ticket is no longer available, you can then turn back to AMEX and depending on how well you plead, get AMEX to recoup the miles back to your MR account.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 7:49 am

That is a real issue with Krisflyer. They want the miles in your account before they will ticket or even hold the reservation. Since AMEX MR to Krisflyer isn't instantaneous (why is that? isn't it computer to computer?), you run a risk of not having the reservation available when the miles "hit" your Krisflyer account. However, I think once you initiate the transfer, after a day or so you can get a "confirm number," or some such thing, from AMEX MR, showing that the miles are en route to Krisflyer. With that, they may be able to ticket/hold the reservation.
Good luck.

One more thing, though AMEX says once the miles are transferred, they are gone for good, if you do transfer them, and the SQ ticket is no longer available, you can then turn back to AMEX and depending on how well you plead, get AMEX to recoup the miles back to your MR account.
Yeah, that's a real problem. It should be an instant transfer. I don't understand why they can't even give you a courtesy hold. CO does it for a week.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AF/KL wont even let you check avail without having the miles in your account.

i hope its just a matter of time before all transfers are instant.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 12:35 pm

Good luck.

Hmmm, I wonder if this is new. When I booked an F trip to Europe last March, I was able to reserve it, then transfer the miles. I can't remember how long the reservation was good for, but I told them I was transferring from MR and was told no problem. I transferred the miles right after I got off the phone with them, and it took the 4-5 days a previous poster mentioned.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 1:52 pm

Programs: Skymiles, AMEX, Bonvoy, IHG Plat, Alaska MVP 100K
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
AF/KL wont even let you check avail without having the miles in your account.

i hope its just a matter of time before all transfers are instant.
I book AF through Delta and you can hold a reservation and then transfer/buy miles etc.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AF allows skyteam one-way, F, as well as a few other partners.

relevant >
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=768659

Originally Posted by mtparadis
+ 15% online discount = 119K, so 29K more than UA, but ill bet avail is better, and UA isnt an amex partner.

Originally Posted by trach500
SQ from EWR-MLE is 160K/ticket in J.
170K + 15% online discount = 144.5K

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 19, 2007 at 12:55 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.