Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex Concierge- what have they done for you? [2007 - 2014]

Amex Concierge- what have they done for you? [2007 - 2014]

Old Nov 19, 07, 10:53 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Miami
Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Lifetime Gold
Posts: 416
Amex Concierge- what have they done for you? [2007 - 2014]

I am a fairly new platinum member and was wondering what you guys have gotten the plat concierge to do for you? Anything extraordinary? I think it would be a fun thing to see what people have used them for, so I can get some idea's in case I needed anything in the future.
Mark_N1 likes this.
trach500 is offline  
Old Nov 19, 07, 12:18 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Denver, Colorado
Programs: Amex plat, Hyatt, Hertz, Concierge Association-Colorado
Posts: 37
Last month I was traveling to a city I didn't know. I asked the hotel about a shuttle from the airport to the hotel. The Front Desk Manager said there wasn't one but he could book me on a commercial sedan service for an additional fee. I checked with the belldesk and he too wanted to book me on a sedan service. Smelling a kickback, I checked online but since I didn't know the layout of the city, I couldn't tell which area my hotel was in. I contacted the Platinum Concierge, they sorted everything out, booked me on a shuttle for $18 instead of a sedan service for $120. I am sure they have done bigger things for others, but that helped me.
R.
proconcierge is offline  
Old Nov 19, 07, 12:23 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 1,874
Originally Posted by proconcierge View Post
Last month I was traveling to a city I didn't know. I asked the hotel about a shuttle from the airport to the hotel. The Front Desk Manager said there wasn't one but he could book me on a commercial sedan service for an additional fee. I checked with the belldesk and he too wanted to book me on a sedan service. Smelling a kickback, I checked online but since I didn't know the layout of the city, I couldn't tell which area my hotel was in. I contacted the Platinum Concierge, they sorted everything out, booked me on a shuttle for $18 instead of a sedan service for $120. I am sure they have done bigger things for others, but that helped me.
R.
Ridiculous

I would have written a nice letter to the GM and CC'd the corporate office of the hotel.

Did you tell the Front Desk manager and the belldesk about the non-existent shuttle you booked yourself? lol..
DelrayChris is offline  
Old Nov 19, 07, 12:53 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: UK/US Airspace
Programs: BA Gold, UA Prem, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold,
Posts: 204
Originally Posted by DelrayChris View Post
Ridiculous

I would have written a nice letter to the GM and CC'd the corporate office of the hotel.

Did you tell the Front Desk manager and the belldesk about the non-existent shuttle you booked yourself? lol..
You mean the Amex concierge booked him on! Credit where credit is due.
This Mortal Coil is offline  
Old Nov 19, 07, 1:24 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: BWI/DCA/IAD
Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat., Hilton Diamond, Hertz Pres
Posts: 139
They are great about finding restaurants in the small cities/big towns that I tend to frequent. I call them before the flight and by the time I land, have a reservation or 3-4 options in my email of places nearby my hotel. When they make the reservation for me, I usually find the restaurant staff to be particularly attentive.^
HKBelonger is offline  
Old Nov 19, 07, 1:53 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Portland, OR / Philadelphia / Paris
Posts: 8
I've used plat concierge to:

Find me a gym in Paris near where I'd be living that had rowing machines, freeweights, and took monthly memberships.

Find me a bar in Paris that would be showing the World Series (and the games began at 2AM here! And the French don't watch baseball! Yet they did it... some Canadian bar in St Germain... though I never got to go because the Red Sox won before I got back from Prague...)

Also, they helped me file a claim under Amex purchase protection. My new camera got stolen in Barcelona, and I needed to fax documents to Amex to receive the reimbursement. It would have cost something like 20 or 30 euros to send the international fax. So I arranged to send the documents as pdfs via email to plat concierge, who then printed and faxed to the other department w/in Amex. Easy, and I got my refund very quick!
bdb55 is offline  
Old Nov 19, 07, 2:17 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Programs: UA Global Services, SPG Gold (lifetime), Marriott Gold, AMEX Plat, Hertz Gold
Posts: 369
My wife & I got married on St. Patrick's Day this year. In a blizzard (those of you on the east coast this year know what I'm talking about), the Platinum Concierge helped me find a florist that was open that could deliver a boquet of 4 leaf clovers to my wife. It ended up costing a bit but it wasn't awful (about $50).

Two days earlier, we wanted to go to a particular SPA that my wife is a pretty regular customer at. She tried, couldn't get us in, I tried, couldn't get us in and then called Amex--they took care of it in just a few seconds.

They've also come through for me with reservations at sold-out restaurants.

Before I sound like the biggest proponent of them though, I will warn you--they get kick backs (I mean commissions!) from some suppliers they have arrangements with (i.e. florists, tour companies, etc.) so they sometimes don't come through well there (or you can book it yourself for a little less), and I did have one time that I asked them to do research on tours and they couldn't get me on one, but the local hotel concierge got me on the same tour for less money. What's the lesson here? Use them for restuarants and very special requests and sold-out events, otherwise do some of your own research (or use them but remember you're really paying them to do it for you).
EWR ATC Hold is offline  
Old Nov 19, 07, 3:03 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: IAD/DCA
Posts: 31,595
nice to have some great responses so fast ^

there is TONS of discussion on this in both this forum and the other credit cards forum.
Kagehitokiri is offline  
Old Nov 19, 07, 3:55 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 163
What other forum?

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri View Post
nice to have some great responses so fast ^

there is TONS of discussion on this in both this forum and the other credit cards forum.
coreynyc is offline  
Old Nov 19, 07, 4:43 pm
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: IAD/DCA
Posts: 31,595
"other credit card programs" on flyertalk..
Kagehitokiri is offline  
Old Nov 23, 07, 11:43 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 710
1. Plat concierge got me tickets to Leno in Las Vegas, the seats were moderately better than I could get myself online or on the phone, for the same price.

2. Plat concierge got me tickets to Cirque du Soleil "Mystere" in Las Vegas, the seats were much better than I could purchase directly, for the same price.

3. I used them to try and make restaurant reservations and they were not too helpful, they e-mailed me a list of restaurant suggestions that was cut-and-pasted from Frommers.com, I didn't end up reserving any restaurants through them.

I haven't used the platinum concierge for anything else as I have had my platinum card for not too many months.
trilinearmipmap is offline  
Old Nov 24, 07, 3:18 am
  #12  
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palo Alto, California,USA
Posts: 17,335
I once asked them to get me Sumo tickets for Tokyo, and it was a miserable experience that ended in failure. I think they are probably more knowledgable about the U.S. and maybe major western European cities, I don't think I'd recommend counting on them for Asia if my experience was at all typical.
RichardInSF is offline  
Old Nov 24, 07, 8:33 am
  #13  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 69,204
Originally Posted by trilinearmipmap View Post
1. Plat concierge got me tickets to Leno in Las Vegas, the seats were moderately better than I could get myself online or on the phone, for the same price.
Likewise. I think that they also saved my $6/tixket on some fee by calling the hotel directly instead of going through the regular telesales, but I'm not positive.

Originally Posted by trilinearmipmap View Post
3. I used them to try and make restaurant reservations and they were not too helpful, they e-mailed me a list of restaurant suggestions that was cut-and-pasted from Frommers.com, I didn't end up reserving any restaurants through them.

Originally Posted by HKBelonger View Post
They are great about finding restaurants in the small cities/big towns that I tend to frequent. I call them before the flight and by the time I land, have a reservation or 3-4 options in my email of places nearby my hotel. When they make the reservation for me, I usually find the restaurant staff to be particularly attentive.^
They usually start with OpenTable for restaurant reservations. Since OpenTable offers $1/reservation in kickbacks to whomever makes the reservation (and since I use it regularly in NYC anyways) I've just started making the reservations myself. I actually wish they did a better job of this because I'd like to find different/good restaurants when I travel instead of just the ones that subscribe to the service. but that can't really be expected for an agency that is covering the whole world (or even just the US).
sbm12 is offline  
Old Nov 26, 07, 7:02 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NSW, Australia
Programs: Amex Plat, SPG Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*, BA Blue, United Blue, Emirates Blue
Posts: 41
I love 'em! Most recently, they got me tickets for the upcoming Santana concert in Sydney, row 4, middle of the stage, at face value. Speak as you find, but I think they're great.
HalfwayHotel is offline  
Old Nov 27, 07, 10:37 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NY
Programs: AA, US, DL, UA, Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver
Posts: 960
I just worked with a great women. I'm taking my SO away during New Years and to celebrate his birthday. Wanted to go somewhere great for New Years celebration and of course the best place in town was booked. They got me a reservation for 9:00PM. She also sent me a list of restaurants locally and will be helping me plan a local birthday celebration with friends as well!!

So far Kudos to them.
ladiflier is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: