Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New USA Centurion Fees - Just confirmed on the phone

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2007, 10:20 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by stevenshev
Ahh Franklin Lakes, that's awesome! I'm a Wyckoff boy myself.

Anyway, eveeeryone in NY Metro who wants one has one, they're a dime a dozen, nothing to be impressed by and I'm surprised people would do that.
In any bar after work filled with Wall Street guys you can see 10 or 20 in an hour.

Amex is definitely trying to maintain the perceived exclusivity. The increase in annual fees, the raised spending threshold, even the elimination of a benefit (*wood Plat) that motivated many to get the card are all designed to try and preserve the card's cachet.

I wonder if the initiation fee will work.
Old Mar 3, 2007, 10:20 am

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
I'm curious to see what services are expensive up front... Surely the margin cost for an additional member is next to nothing in most cases...?

Are they saying they have to buy each individual airline membership (for instance) separately? That's just silly, IMHO...

This $5K fee seems like a total rip-off to me...
Old Mar 3, 2007, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

for things like this, joining fees have nothing to do with actual cost to supplier.

CENT in HKG has had a $3K joining fee. i thought more countries did, but it appears to be the only one, according to M-Site.
Old Mar 3, 2007, 11:28 am
Suspended

If they are charging 5k initiation fee I would think anyone with a pulse and 5k an now get the cent card.
Old Mar 3, 2007, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
for things like this, joining fees have nothing to do with actual cost to supplier.

CENT in HKG has had a $3K joining fee. i thought more countries did, but it appears to be the only one, according to M-Site.
Germany has had the joining fee for ages.I think only the launch Centurion holders in Germany did not have to pay this. IIRC the joining fee was € 1.000.
Old Mar 3, 2007, 1:40 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion
Just called cent cs twice to confirm as well. $7,500 for the first year for new accounts 5k joining fee on top of 2500 anual. and all members grandfathered in at 1k going up to 2500 anual fee so everybodys paying same now.
Old Mar 3, 2007, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
$5000 -- INITIATION FEE ...SURE.....

looks like the price of titanium in the world market has gone up....

$7500 for the first year....WOW !!!! for what:

Crappy CSR
Crappy Travel service
VS GOLD for US based cardholders....WOW!!!
FHR benefits
I think that even MO benefit is losing ground

what else does Centurion offer? Really, why would anyone pay 7500/yr for this card.....STATUS ????

Seriously, if anyone is going for this, pls call me at 876-5329 for a great deal on oceanfront property in Arizona !!!!

Last edited by anaggie; Mar 3, 2007 at 3:29 pm
Old Mar 3, 2007, 3:17 pm
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Conflicting confirmations...

Originally Posted by DMSFCA
... confirmed that *existing* members will not have any change of fees, including those of us that were grandfathered in at the original $1000 fee.
Originally Posted by sct4a
Just called cent cs twice to confirm as well .... all members grandfathered in at 1k going up to 2500 anual fee so everybodys paying same now.
Old Mar 3, 2007, 4:11 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
One thing that hasn't been mentioned could be troubling. Exclusivity has an advantage - it means AMEX can go to certain vendors and ask them to give a "small" group some privileges. If they start selling the card and if more and more people sign up, it may stretch the limits of what the other vendors are willing to give. Is there a limit to how many gold cards Continental feels it can give out? I don't know the answer, but it is a concern.
Old Mar 3, 2007, 5:14 pm
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
If it is true that all cardholders will begin to pay $2,500 and that new cardholders will pay $7,500 the first year, I take this to mean that American Express does indeed want to reduce the number of Centurion accounts. This might well enable them to provide a higher level of service and benefits because their partners would not dilute their own programs. Why would you find this "troubling"? It seems to be an attempt to deliver the original promise of Centurion.
Old Mar 3, 2007, 5:44 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by stevens397
If they start selling the card and if more and more people sign up, it may stretch the limits of what the other vendors are willing to give.
Isn't this already happening? It seems that when Cent was first introduced, it was a great deal ($1K/yr, all sorts of anemities that aren't there anymore (SP Plat, HH Diamond, etc.)). I keep hearing FT Cent members- folks who'd I'd assume aren't sweating the membership fees, but at the same time don't have money to "throw away"- complaining about Cent and threatening to downgrade to Plat or leave AmEx altogether.

(Hell, I'll admit it; back in the day I figured one day I'd get Cent too based on the anemities and the "Black Card Factor", but now I think Plat is just fine and will stay even if my spend comes up to invitation levels.)
Old Mar 3, 2007, 6:29 pm
Suspended

My guess is 5k initiaton equals no more spend threshold to get card.
Old Mar 3, 2007, 6:33 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by sithlord
My guess is 5k initiaton equals no more spend threshold to get card.
?!

Won't this only put the card into the hands of more of the "bet you never saw one of these before?" crowd that ClimberMom was talking about?
Old Mar 3, 2007, 6:42 pm

This is truly ridiculous. I am a platinum cardmember who joined the CENTURION ranks last year for about a week until I realized that the benefits of Centurion did not really justify the cost... and that was $2500...!!
Old Mar 3, 2007, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

and all members grandfathered in at 1k going up to 2500 anual fee so everybodys paying same now.
!?!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.