Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Insurance cover with (UK) Plat if tickets booked with BA Amex?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2006, 2:44 am
Original Poster

I thinking about getting a Platinum card (in the UK) because the insurance and perks seem like a good package. Although the insurance is part of the Platinum account I will use the associated BA-Amex PP card rather than the Platinum card itself because I prefer to collect BA Miles rather than Amex MR points. My question is do I have to use the Platinum card when booking travel or car hire in order to get the insurance cover, or will using the BA-Amex card still get me the cover?
Old Jun 30, 2006, 10:33 am

I'm in the same position, i called up Amex a few weeks ago and asked them. They told me i must use my Platinum card when booking travel or car hire in order to get the insurance cover.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

That's a shame. I'll miss out on quite a few BA Miles if I use the Platinum card to book flights and car hire

Wish BA and Amex would bring out a Platinum version of the BA-Amex card...
Old Jun 30, 2006, 3:43 pm

Programs: F
Originally Posted by stanagec
I'm in the same position, i called up Amex a few weeks ago and asked them. They told me i must use my Platinum card when booking travel or car hire in order to get the insurance cover.
Are we talking about the UK Platinum Charge Card? There is no restriction about buying the travel with the card (or indeed with any Amex card). It is a proper all-inclusive worldwide travel insurance.
Old Jul 1, 2006, 2:10 am

Programs: FB Plat, CX Diamond, TK Elite *G, EK Gold, EY Silv, Amex Cent, R&C 5C, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Avis PC
And even if there were, they're supposed to enforce the highest coverage on any of your amex cards whatver the one you use. (i.e. if you pay with your BA Amex and the coverage is better with the Plat then they would have to enforce the plat coverage). Amex calls that the "umbrella principle". You should call back and talk to someone more knowledgeable at Amex...

Originally Posted by redshift27
Are we talking about the UK Platinum Charge Card? There is no restriction about buying the travel with the card (or indeed with any Amex card). It is a proper all-inclusive worldwide travel insurance.
Old Jul 1, 2006, 2:20 am

Programs: Not much these days: BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, HH Gold
I can vouch for having claimed on the lost luggage part of the insurance when I paid for my flights on BA Amex. When I made the initial claim I was asked how I paid for the flights, and when I told them BA Amex I was told "that's fine, you used an Amex card".
Old Jul 1, 2006, 3:04 am

Programs: F
The best official clarification is the insurance policy summary document from Amex:

http://www.americanexpress.com/pes/u...m_benefits.pdf

The key paragraph concerning how you pay for the trip is:

"ELIGIBILITY
The benefits summarised in Platinum Card Travel Insurance Benefits (Section 1)
in this document are dependent upon an American Express Platinum Card being
issued, the Platinum Card account being valid and the account balance having been
paid in accordance with the Card agreement at the time of any incident giving rise
to a claim and upon the use of the American Express Card in Platinum Card Retail
Insurance Benefits (Section 2). American Express Services Europe Limited will give
you notice if there are any material changes to the policy or if it is cancelled or
expires without renewal on equivalent terms."

I.e. The requirement is that your platinum card account needs to be in good order at the time of the claim. The only requirement to USE the Platinum card is to get retail insurance benefits (i.e. 90 day damage / theft insurance on purchases) - Section 2 in the policy. The travel insurance is Section 1.

There is nothing in the entire document about having to pay for the trip with the Platinum card or with any Amex card.

This is in marked contrast to the BA Amex travel insurance, which is quite explicit that the travel needs to be booked with the card.

This is why the Platinum insurance is thought to be a good deal: it is a proper all-inclusive insurance, not tied down to the use of the card, and differs from all the other card related insurance policies.

I'm sorry to repeat myself like this, but there has been a bit of misinformation flying around the last couple of days.

Last edited by redshift27; Jul 1, 2006 at 3:11 am
Old Jul 1, 2006, 4:33 am
Original Poster

Thanks redshift27.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.