Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When you request a credit line increase...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2006, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz PC
When you request a credit line increase...

To my knowledege, everytime you request a credit line increase to AMEX, you get your credit report (hard inquiry) pulled by AMEX. (right?)

I had been doing a credit line increase over the past year pretty often and am now worried. When exactly do they pull a hard credit inqury?

I ask because when you click that link on americanexpress.com to request a credit line increase, it sometimes just tells you that you are pre-approved for this much increase, (dollar amount). Do they just pull an inqury WHEN you click this link to get to that page where it says how much you can increase the credit line by? Or do they pull an inquiry when you accept that offer? Or do they even actually pull an inquiry?

I'm so confused.. help!
Old Jun 8, 2006, 9:57 pm
Original Member

If you click on the link to request a credit line increase, and one is automatically offered, then they won't pull a hard inquiry.

If you click on the link to request a credit line increase, and instead of an automatic offer you get a form to fill out (with your income, etc.) then you should assume that they'll pull a hard inquiry but in practice sometimes they don't.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 10:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz PC
Oh so even accepting the already-approved and offered new line of credit doesn't pop a hard inquiry?????
Old Jun 10, 2006, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by Auracon
Oh so even accepting the already-approved and offered new line of credit doesn't pop a hard inquiry?????
Correct. If you go to increase your limit and it says "you're approved for X" without typing in any financial or personal information, there wasn't a hard pull.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.