Wiki Posts
Search

Amex Dollar card for Europeans

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2006, 5:25 am
Original Poster

Amex Dollar card for Europeans

hi all,

i'm a disgrunted platinum card holder in sweden who just got offered a dollar currency platinum card - probably thanks to, in my opinion, some limited usd spending per year. this card would be issued from the UK.

however, i have some Qs for other Europeans who may have the card --

1) does this mean i can use the plat card service in the UK, or US? The swedish service are complete amateurs who usually can't get you a tickets to an event which is not even sold out yet.

2) how about travel/insurance benefits? the complimentary airline upgrades in Sweden are a joke (with regional airlines who doesn't even fly Scandinavia). Don't mention the travel agency service - they can't even match the full rack rate of the airlines official list. same for hotels.

3) are there any other financial/tax benefits that I may not know of?

I am actually considering giving up the amex altogether if it wasn't for the decent line of credit . I am probably one of the top 3% customers feeling i should take my business elsewhere.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 11:14 am

I've actually been considering a switch to this card. The benefits are posted here: http://www10.americanexpress.com/sif...351,00.asp#a16

Will update this thread if I decide to make the switch and it is successful. I currently have the US Plat card.

(BTW, I don't know what the Swedish plat service is like, but I can't believe that the US service can be that much better)
Old Apr 28, 2006, 11:52 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Originally Posted by kuroneko
I've actually been considering a switch to this card. The benefits are posted here: http://www10.americanexpress.com/sif...351,00.asp#a16

Will update this thread if I decide to make the switch and it is successful. I currently have the US Plat card.

(BTW, I don't know what the Swedish plat service is like, but I can't believe that the US service can be that much better)
Is there anything that prevents a current US Plat cardholder from getting this card? It seems that the benefits (Priority Pass, Hilton Gold, etc) are better than the US Plat at the same cost. Are there any cons to switching to the International Card?

-Troy
Old Apr 28, 2006, 10:49 pm

Programs: AY Platinum,Marriott Gold,HH Diamond,Sixt Platinum,Hertz PC,AMEX Platinum
American Express International Currency Cards (ICC) in Europe are issued by American Express UK and the service is through them. Until now, the service has been very similar to UK Sterling cards. Now they have upgraded the benefits in Sterling cards and Customer Service told me that they are most probably also upgrading the ICC cards in the future but not yet.

Service is through AMEX UK, so you would be calling them anytime you need travel services or customer service (some of the other country organizations will also help you if needed).
Old Apr 29, 2006, 4:26 am
obs

Programs: BA executive club,priority club Plat Ambassador, Hilton hhonours Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I was thinking of getting the Amex Plat card as they keep offering it to me. The Current cost is about 300. The ICC plat card is $400 about 250, and the benfits for the cards seem to be the same. Is this correct or have I missed something?
Old Apr 29, 2006, 7:16 am

Programs: AY Platinum,Marriott Gold,HH Diamond,Sixt Platinum,Hertz PC,AMEX Platinum
Originally Posted by obs
I was thinking of getting the Amex Plat card as they keep offering it to me. The Current cost is about 300. The ICC plat card is $400 about 250, and the benfits for the cards seem to be the same. Is this correct or have I missed something?
Pretty much the same - the major difference is that recently the Sterling Platinum changed it's benefits and is now better than ICC cards, especially the travel insurance.
Old Apr 29, 2006, 12:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I'm a UK Plat Charge Card holder who may be relocating to the US for a while - does having a UK-issued USD ICC card mean I would avoid any FX surcharges for US spending? If so, then Amex might win themselves a lot of business!
Old Apr 30, 2006, 12:28 am

Originally Posted by BA97
I'm a UK Plat Charge Card holder who may be relocating to the US for a while - does having a UK-issued USD ICC card mean I would avoid any FX surcharges for US spending? If so, then Amex might win themselves a lot of business!
IDC card is charged and billed in USD. I cannot see any reason why it wouldn't be perfect solution if you are looking a temporary card, which is based in USD instead of EUR or GBP.
Old Apr 30, 2006, 5:00 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
The Hilton Gold status is for one year only. You can earn and maintain Hilton Gold status in the USA by spending $20,000 annually on the Amex Hilton credit card.

Originally Posted by troyb
It seems that the benefits (Priority Pass, Hilton Gold, etc) are better than the US Plat at the same cost.
-Troy
Old Apr 30, 2006, 5:15 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
At current exchange rate ($1.80 per GBP) I make the annual fee about GBP 220. However to the extent you use this card for transactions denominated in any currency other than dollars you will incur a 2.5% conversion fee. Annual non-dollar purchases in excess of about $5,700 would wipe out the savings on the annual fee. Also you must settle the bill in dollars which could involve additional currency exchange expense if, for example,your salary is paid in Sterling.

The IDC version of Membership Rewards has different redemption ratios than the UK version, reflecting the currency values.

dennis

Originally Posted by obs
Old Apr 30, 2006, 7:12 am
obs

Programs: BA executive club,priority club Plat Ambassador, Hilton hhonours Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by mia
At current exchange rate ($1.80 per GBP) I make the annual fee about GBP 220. However to the extent you use this card for transactions denominated in any currency other than dollars you will incur a 2.5% conversion fee. Annual non-dollar purchases in excess of about $5,700 would wipe out the savings on the annual fee. Also you must settle the bill in dollars which could involve additional currency exchange expense if, for example,your salary is paid in Sterling.

The IDC version of Membership Rewards has different redemption ratios than the UK version, reflecting the currency values.

dennis
Thanks,

Thats cleared things up nicely for me ^
Old Apr 30, 2006, 9:17 am
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, ex-BD Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by mia

dennis
Note also that the Platinum travel services for the IDC bills in GBP (from the UK), so this may easily result in conversion charges.
Old May 2, 2006, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kuroneko

If you compare the travel benefits, which is basically all I care about -- Amex Plat Swe and the IDC offer free companion on Continental. Period. (US offer at least a dozen different airlines). Oh yea, and free upgrade on Air Portugal, which is as useful as offering free peanuts on Air Siberia on wednesdays.
Old May 2, 2006, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by allure
If you compare the travel benefits, which is basically all I care about -- Amex Plat Swe and the IDC offer free companion on Continental. Period. (US offer at least a dozen different airlines). Oh yea, and free upgrade on Air Portugal, which is as useful as offering free peanuts on Air Siberia on wednesdays.
Well, most of the people do not think that Flight Companion program is very useful but there are other airlines participating also besides Continental or Air Portugal:

From UK: http://www.americanexpress.com/uk/flightcompanions/

From Sweden: http://www.americanexpress.com/sweden/flightcompanions/

And then there is similar collection of airlines from Germany and France ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.