Wiki Posts
Search

US Cents: US Airways Status

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2005, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
US Cents: US Airways Status

US Airways has added a fourth tier to their elite levels. Now its Silver, Gold, Plat, and Chairman. Does anyone know if we will be "downgraded" by remaining a Gold?
Old Sep 26, 2005, 7:43 pm

Just asked that same question and it appears that we'll still be gold and won't lost any benes.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 8:12 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AA EXP, UA 1K, AMEX Cent
I'm Betting that our benefits will be really reduced by this...

Not very happy...

TWA Gone (was fine w/ That)
Hyatt Diamond Gone (NOT fine with that and got a $1000 discount on our fee this year - with three CENT cards and two PLAT cards still not too much!)

Would it be so much to ask if AMEX could have a program with BA for their US-based cardholders. I know they have a "soured" relationship with AA.

AMEX really better switch its "valued" CENT members over to UAL (a far better airline) or AA/BA... Gold will probably mean nothing in the new Dividend miles program. If you make two shuttle flights a month you have silver! Anyone calling in about this? This is a MAJOR disapointment if AMEX does not move us to platinum/to another *A carrier/ or to AA-BA!
Old Sep 27, 2005, 5:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mesadler
Just asked that same question and it appears that we'll still be gold and won't lost any benes.
We will lose benes if we stay at Gold:

1.) Those who earn b/t 75k-100k (the new Plats) will be upgraded ahead of us

2.) Mileage bonus down from 100% to 50% (this is huge)

...not good at all, time to hand back that Cent card to Amex?
Old Sep 27, 2005, 7:23 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by DrivingRain
We will lose benes if we stay at Gold:

1.) Those who earn b/t 75k-100k (the new Plats) will be upgraded ahead of us

2.) Mileage bonus down from 100% to 50% (this is huge)

...not good at all, time to hand back that Cent card to Amex?
#2 is what has me most pissed off. This cuts the total milage we'll earn with US by 25%. 50% bonus when we get 100% on DL/CO? That makes no sense.

Just wait to see what the others come up with for 2006, it might get ugly all around....
Old Sep 27, 2005, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by ironmanjt
#2 is what has me most pissed off. This cuts the total milage we'll earn with US by 25%. 50% bonus when we get 100% on DL/CO? That makes no sense....
Sure its going to get ugly. They are officially becoming a low cost carrier. A lot of perks will have to go when they make the full commitment to earn money.

Ken in Phx
Old Sep 28, 2005, 2:18 pm

I feel that Cent members should be upped to the Plat level.

Staying at Gold doesn't attract me under the new scheme.
Old Sep 28, 2005, 9:31 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by sdix
I feel that Cent members should be upped to the Plat level.

Staying at Gold doesn't attract me under the new scheme.
I agree 100%. The new program treats gold like the old program treated Plats. Given the devaluatiion of AMEX Centurion and the loss of partners/benefits, AMEX should insist on UG to Platinum which would still be one below the top level.
Old Sep 30, 2005, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Rumor in the US forum says that US Airways will no longer participate in American Express Membership Rewards.

If true...
1. Flying US wont make too much sense for us anymore if we cant transfer points to them
2. I wonder if they will really continue the Centurion link up if they dont have an MR link up

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=477998

Since this is also important to non-Cent holders, I'll post this news in a new thread too.
Old Oct 3, 2005, 2:42 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
It is official - USAirways will not be a member of MR as of Jan 1, 2006. They officially came out of bankruptcy chapter 11 on 9/27/05, now run by the (former) management of America West with a few people brought over from USAirways.

As Am. West has never been a participant of MR, and the "new" USAirways (ticker: LCC) is now a Low Cost Carrier, this is only par for the course. So without a decent replacement, one has to wonder if the Centurion $2500 fee is really justified now, more than ever.

What other options are there as possible replacements next year? UA, NW and DL - forget it. They have bankruptcy troubles to deal with. CO and AA are the only other 2 legacy airlines. Given CO's current relationship with AMEX, they'd be the likely choice but their NonePass program stinks and is very stingy on benefits/upgrades to its members. We already know it will be a cold day in he11 before AA joins any kind of AMEX affliation.
Old Oct 3, 2005, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by PHL
What other options are there as possible replacements next year? UA, NW and DL - forget it. They have bankruptcy troubles to deal with. CO and AA are the only other 2 legacy airlines. Given CO's current relationship with AMEX, they'd be the likely choice
DL and CO already offer mid-tier status to Centurion cardholders so they can hardly act as "replacements."
Old Oct 4, 2005, 2:21 am

Originally Posted by PHL
So without a decent replacement, one has to wonder if the Centurion $2500 fee is really justified now, more than ever.
See my last post from yesterday in this thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=478036

We are not losing our Gold status with US Airways despite that we will no longer be able to transfer MR points to them.

Susan
Old Oct 4, 2005, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SusanDK
See my last post from yesterday in this thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=478036

We are not losing our Gold status with US Airways despite that we will no longer be able to transfer MR points to them.

Susan
We are being downgraded radically b/c they are putting in a 75k elite level. Fewer upgrades, and most importantly, down from 100% to 50% mileage bonus. Ouch...
Old Oct 6, 2005, 8:29 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by SusanDK

Susan
Don't be so sure about that. The 2006 Centurion benefits have yet to be fully hammered out, and you can be almost certain US will probably drop the comp. Gold.
Old Oct 6, 2005, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by PHL
Don't be so sure about that. The 2006 Centurion benefits have yet to be fully hammered out, and you can be almost certain US will probably drop the comp. Gold.
I would agree about not being to sure. If was a betting person I would bet Amex drops the gold elite comp. If the benifit is extended I would not count on it for to long into the future. I personally spoke with a prior America West Executive regarding the Amex millage partner issue many years ago and was told the reason for no partnership was how each party (Amex and HP) valued the price of a mile/point. I see not reason why that would change since US Air is still really America West.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.