Wiki Posts
Search

No more AMEX Membership Rewards

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2005, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold
No more AMEX Membership Rewards

Effective 1/1/06, US will no longer participate in American Express Membership Rewards as a result of the merger.
Old Sep 30, 2005, 2:09 pm

Please tell me you're joking.
Old Sep 30, 2005, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP
That's it... I'm out.

Now the combined HP/US miles are worthless to me. A big benefit for me (and many others) was the ability to earn the paltry sum that the new US was willing to give me for my business and then top off my balance with MR points for a *A C/F award.

At my earn rate it will take close to 2 years to build up enough miles for a *A F award. With MR points I would be able to have at least one issued per year.
Old Sep 30, 2005, 3:56 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec
If this is true, I may have to switch to Diner's Club.
Old Sep 30, 2005, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
Originally Posted by sfeinberg
Effective 1/1/06, US will no longer participate in American Express Membership Rewards as a result of the merger.

Since you are from GSO...I'm guessing you heard this from an Amex source at their offices in Greensboro. Is that correct? If not, what is your source?

Thanks!
DR
Old Sep 30, 2005, 4:24 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
For those who are impacted by this, I'd recommend getting a Starwood AMEX card. The points can be transferred to nearly every airline, including US/HP, and for every 20K you transfer SPG adds 5K. In terms of airline miles, it's a far better deal than AMEX MR.
Old Sep 30, 2005, 6:24 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver
I was looking for an excuse to ditch the Amex card...
Old Sep 30, 2005, 6:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
For those who are impacted by this, I'd recommend getting a Starwood AMEX card. The points can be transferred to nearly every airline, including US/HP, and for every 20K you transfer SPG adds 5K. In terms of airline miles, it's a far better deal than AMEX MR.
Yeah - it's a great card. Not to mention, the Starwood points are usually worth more than airline miles so I use it for both. There are a lot of Category 4 hotels (10000 points) that cost upwards of $400 a night. And SPG has no capacity control on hotel rooms. This coupled with the 5K bonus for 20K transfer and the list of airlines available made this the best choice out there for me.
Old Sep 30, 2005, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold
My source:
A note that came in my AMEX bill.
Old Sep 30, 2005, 7:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold,MR Gold, Avis CHM
My source:
A note that came in my AMEX bill.

I just got my bill -- No note and US is still on the AMEX MR website.
Old Sep 30, 2005, 8:28 pm

Programs: SW, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5*, Avis Presidents
yup - there it is

Originally Posted by dukeman
I just got my bill -- No note and US is still on the AMEX MR website.
page 5 of my statement

. . . effective January 1, 2006, USAirways will no longer participate in the Membership Rewards program . . .

bummer. Our company makes us use Amex for corporate travel, so I periodically move my MR points to Dividend Miles.
Old Sep 30, 2005, 10:00 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, MR Gold, Hertz Gold
Update

I spoke to AMEX. They said that it was because different people running US Airways now, the old contract is up on 12/31. They hope that US will sign new contract. I called CP desk; however, they did not even know that it was happening. CP desk advised me to call Consumer Affairs on Monday to voice a concern.
Old Sep 30, 2005, 11:48 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Sokol
I spoke to AMEX. They said that it was because different people running US Airways now, the old contract is up on 12/31. They hope that US will sign new contract. I called CP desk; however, they did not even know that it was happening. CP desk advised me to call Consumer Affairs on Monday to voice a concern.
The new people running US (the old people who ran HP), never participated in AMEX MR before. Given how all the other US DM changes seem to be going, I'm not surprised they're not going to do it now.

Given that AMEX is making the announcement, I highy doubt it's a matter of the new US management deciding to sign a new contract.
Old Oct 1, 2005, 9:30 am
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
Talk about a program that has seen almost constant devaluation through partner withdrawal, AMEX Membership Rewards is it. The departure of US is but another example. Sad for a program which at one time (like 10+ years ago) was argueably the best travel program out there.
Old Oct 1, 2005, 10:18 am

For those of us who fly US often and rely on the MR boost from our AMEX corporate cards combined with our personal cards, this is very bad news. The Starwood card is great, but it does me no good since it cant be combined with the corporate AMEX cards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.