Search

Amex cards and dedicated sites / advantages

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2005, 3:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: AMEX Platinum (etc.), AF Flying Blue
Amex cards and dedicated sites / advantages

Hello guys,

As shown on the left, I have been holding a Platinum charge card in France for a few months.

Prior to accepting it, I looked around for the benefits, and was pretty disappointed with the information found on the French web site.

I also surfed to other countries web sites, and noted the following:

- first an foremost, the benefits attached to the card do differ greatly from one country to another. In particular, you seem to be offered more services in the US than in France: Concierge service, mobile phone where ever you go, lots of events, etc.)

I discovered the existence of the Departure magazine through web-surfing (okay, august has been a slow month in the office). Even if I don't really care about this mag, I would have appreciated being informed of the fact that I could read this by Amex.

Dito regarding insurances and stuff, about which I still have no idea.

(Regarding the Conccierge, my understanding is that there exists a specific service, different from what they call 'art de vivre' in France, which basically is there to book restaurants or send flowers, but that's almost it. I would not expect this 'art de vivre' people to go buy this zebra rug we saw in the bush South Africa two years ago).

- secondly, I noted that, in some countries, you ahve access to a specific extranet / web site for Platinum, as well as Centurion.

- third, I noticed that the MR / offers by Amex are scarce in France, whereas the ROTW seems to have a lot.

In a fashion similar to what Amexpete is doing, I plan on making contact with the guys at Amex here, to let them know that I am a bit disappointed by such differences, and that I am not so sure that the image conveyed by the Amex Platinum card is not matched by what they offer with it, at least in France.

Could you help me gather info about your specific Plat card advantages throughout the world, most notably around these points:

- offers: frequency, variety, financial interest
- interface: dedicated web site or not
- services: concierge everywhere or only in selected countries

Any other input appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Sep 17, 2005, 4:43 am

Programs: FB Plat, CX Diamond, TK Elite *G, EK Gold, EY Silv, Amex Cent, R&C 5C, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Avis PC
Do you get any elite status with any airline with the French Plat?
Old Sep 17, 2005, 9:13 am

This thread has a few answers.

The main advantage of the French Amex card seems to be that you can earn Flying Blue status miles with it.
Old Sep 17, 2005, 11:08 am

Programs: FB Plat, CX Diamond, TK Elite *G, EK Gold, EY Silv, Amex Cent, R&C 5C, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Avis PC
As far as I know, the Air France KLM Silver & Gold American Express cards are the only amex cards in France that let you earn status miles.

Does the "regular" Plat card allows to transfer status miles ? I seriously doubt it.
Old Sep 17, 2005, 12:00 pm

I assume you're right, unless the card is branded with Air France/KLM, it won't earn status miles. I'm surprised that AF/KL don't offer gold+platinum card but gold+silver. At least regarding the shiny appearance of the card, there can't be much difference between Silver and Platinum...

With no centurion offered in france, "prestige factor" seems to be the main advantage of the french platinum card: "La Carte Platinum : la plus prestigieuse des Cartes de Paiement"
This may be true for France, but Platinum seems to be very diluted in U.K. and Germany by inviting even non-Amex-card-holders directly to platinum level.
Old May 21, 2006, 4:54 pm

The Centurion card is available in France.

Originally Posted by jarino
With no centurion offered in france, "prestige factor" seems to be the main advantage of the french platinum card: "La Carte Platinum : la plus prestigieuse des Cartes de Paiement"
This may be true for France, but Platinum seems to be very diluted in U.K. and Germany by inviting even non-Amex-card-holders directly to platinum level.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.