Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Hilton Aspire Card for Casual Travelers?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2022, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by sdsearch
.But the bigger risk is that they'll get rid of the airline "incidental" credit rather than changing it. They already got rid of the airline "incidental" credit on the Amex Gold card.
Frankly AMEX switching this to a $300 monthly dining credit of $25 and jacking the AF to $650 like the Brilliant (and this is basically what they did for the Gold, swapped out $100 misc airline credit for $10/monthly Uber credit) seems like a no-brainer for them. Gets rid of the "gamers" who max out the airline credit and pushes the Aspire towards top of wallet and more regular usage (frankly I don't use this card save for airline reimbursement and Hilton charges, this would force more regular usage outside of Hilton).

At that point, $300 in monthly dining credits + $250 resort credits + good anywhere FNC is still a reasonable deal for $650 but not the slam dunk it was.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Oct 11, 2022 at 1:33 pm
Old Oct 11, 2022, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Frankly AMEX switching this to a $300 monthly dining credit of $25 and jacking the AF to $650 like the Brilliant (and this is basically what they did for the Gold, swapped out $100 misc airline credit for $10/monthly Uber credit) seems like a no-brainer for them. Gets rid of the "gamers" who max out the airline credit and pushes the Aspire towards top of wallet and more regular usage (frankly I don't use this card save for airline reimbursement and Hilton charges, this would force more regular usage outside of Hilton).

At that point, $300 in monthly dining credits + $250 resort credits + good anywhere FNC is still a reasonable deal for $650 but not the slam dunk it was.
Obviously I wouldn’t like the AF increase, but a dining credit switch wouldn’t be the end of the world for me. With mobile wallets it isn’t too difficult to use those without keeping another physical card in the wallet. An Uber credit that is barely profitable with fees and tips is a different story. An AF increase would perhaps come with some additional benefits (maybe another FN cert for $15k spend, to encourage use of the card?)
eponymous_coward likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.