Wiki Posts
Search

F/J SoCal to EZE via MR?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2022, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by OskiBear
What are your dates and how firm are those?
Have to be there by December 4th and the 2nd is the earliest I can leave, staying for two weeks. I looked at alternate return dates and there was no real difference between coming home a day or two early.
I was playing around on Matrix and there are sub-$4K r/t in J on AA in the early part of December.
We're in at $4350 before taxes; I have to use the flights AmEx will let me do points on, too.
Have you also checked fares/awards to/from Montevideo (MVD)?
I have not- but considering it'll be some 26H just in flights/airports alone, how much time extra does getting to downtown BA from MVD take?
Old Jul 7, 2022, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
The fast boat takes about 2 hours from MVD to Buenos Aires. You'd still have to take a cab over from the airport. I guess you would contrast that with heading into BA from EZE.

I didn't realize Amex was that finicky about flights so it makes sense that you're locked into the options they provide to use the MR points to offset the fare.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
We're in at $4350 before taxes; I have to use the flights AmEx will let me do points on, too.
If Amex is offering the same fares available on aa.com, can't you just purchase the tickets directly from AA (maybe even applying your AA credits), and then redeem your MR points for statement credits, once the AA charges post?

With your Amex Platinum, you still earn 5 MR points/$ on airfares, regardless of whether you purchase from Amex Travel or directly from an airline.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
redeem your MR points for statement credits
... this is a thing? Urrgh ... I haven't been keeping up Let me see if it prices any better- but I don't get 5xMRs on the cash value of the ticket anyway?

ETA: OK, just checked- it's only 100:60
Old Jul 7, 2022, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
... this is a thing? Urrgh ... I haven't been keeping up Let me see if it prices any better- but I don't get 5xMRs on the cash value of the ticket anyway?

ETA: OK, just checked- it's only 100:60
Ah, OK.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 7:45 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I'm trying to find a couple of award tickets to EZE for the beginning of December.....
Which American Express card(s) do you have? If you are going to Pay with Points, Business Platinum (or even Business Gold) yield much lower costs than the other cards.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
Which American Express card(s) do you have?
Consumer Plat and Blue. I'd seen the TPG post about the BusPlat 35%, would have been nice.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 7:59 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
....I have to use the flights AmEx will let me do points on, too.
American Express Travel (Expedia) can only sell the inventory that an airline makes available. It could be that the lower fare buckets are sold out on those specific dates, or the airline may not offer those through travel agencies.

AA does not participate in the International Airline Program (IAP), but sometimes Amex Travel does have lower fares than aa.com:

Booking AA via AMEX for less than aa.com?
kennycrudup likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

FWIW, when was making the res, there was a "Only 2 seats left at this price" warning, and sure enough, when I went back after booking to look again, that price is gone; AmEx then wanted ~$14K and the lowest I can see on AA.com now is ~$19K . Not sure if I got the fare bucket listed in that thread, but I'm glad I'd booked when I did. Kudos to @guv1976 for the heads-up!
mia and MarkY123 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.