Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA Tax Payments with Amex [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2018, 1:51 pm

Paying taxes with Delta Platinum - MQD Waiver

Some people on facebook are reporting being told their tax payments don't qualify toward the MQD waiver. Mine have always counted in the past; has this changed? Is it happening to everyone?
Old Nov 20, 2018, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I haven't used mine to pay taxes in many months, but there have been reports that Amex is cracking down pretty hard on MS for MQD waivers - especially Simon.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 1:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by josephstern
I haven't used mine to pay taxes in many months, but there have been reports that Amex is cracking down pretty hard on MS for MQD waivers - especially Simon.
How would a tax payment be manufactured spending?

Regards
cliburn likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 1:37 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Overpaying taxes might be manufactured spending if refunded by check, but tax payments should be treated as a normal expenditure by the card issuer.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 6:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mia
Overpaying taxes might be manufactured spending if refunded by check, but tax payments should be treated as a normal expenditure by the card issuer.
Fair enough, though it's not clear how the credit card company would know whether you were overpaying or not unless the tax payment was just so wildly and enormously out of proportion to the income your reported when applying for the card that it brought additional scrutiny to the transaction.

Regards
Old Nov 26, 2018, 7:31 am

Programs: DL PM 1.5 MM , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat
I don't know if they'd consider it the same but I've never had a problem (Delta Reserve) with property taxes counting towards my bonus spend for additional MQMs. I would think if there was a problem for the waiver it would also affect the bonus levels. Just paid my property taxes a couple weeks ago which should put me at my second ($60k spend) bonus so will know for sure next statement.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 11:24 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
My property tax payment on November 1 triggered a Delta Amex Platinum bonus for me. Though our property taxes are quite low by a lot of standards.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 9:35 am

Programs: DL PM 1.5 MM , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by Seabilly
I don't know if they'd consider it the same but I've never had a problem (Delta Reserve) with property taxes counting towards my bonus spend for additional MQMs. I would think if there was a problem for the waiver it would also affect the bonus levels. Just paid my property taxes a couple weeks ago which should put me at my second ($60k spend) bonus so will know for sure next statement.
Got my statement two days ago (online) and the bonus for $60K spend hit yesterday. My property tax payment ($4K+) put me over so (at least for now) property taxes do count for spend bonus.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Sorry for the bump but I am thinking of using my DL Platinum AMEX card for my real estate taxes due the end of the month. Has anything changed on the this and will the charge count towards my bonus spending bump and will I receive the additional 10,000 MQMs?
Old Nov 13, 2019, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The only thing that has changed to my knowledge is the value prop.

Do it now or before the end of January and make sure you hit a bonus threshold when doing it. Starting Feb 2020, you will only get an MQM bonus and not an RDM bonus, which will make this much, much less attractive.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 3:45 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by josephstern
The only thing that has changed to my knowledge is the value prop.

Do it now or before the end of January and make sure you hit a bonus threshold when doing it. Starting Feb 2020, you will only get an MQM bonus and not an RDM bonus, which will make this much, much less attractive.
Though if you have the Business Delta Platinum card and are making a tax payment greater than $5K in a single transaction, once the new earnings structure kicks in you'd be eligible to earn 1.5 SkyMiles per dollar, which isn't a terrible deal, especially if you value the MQM boost and MQD waiver otherwise.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 9:59 am

Paying tax with Business Plat get 1.5x?

I contacted amex recently and asked if I can get the 1.5X bonus if I charge my tax payment on the Business Platinum card. The agent I got online said that it will not since it is consider a cash equivalent purchase. But then TPG is "encouraging" people to use the Bus Plat in this article:

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/payin...ate=2021-01-24

Anyone have experience using the Business Platinum card to pay tax on the payment services accepted by IRS? If I can get 1.5x, it would make sense to use the card, otherwise it would have been pointless.

TIA
Old Jan 24, 2021, 10:06 am

In my experience, tax payments have always earned points and considered purchases. However, unlike in the past, the tax payment processors no longer accept Corp (1120 or 1120S) payments, but still accept the partnership ones (1065) and self proprietors. Far as I know, they still process State Corp/LLC payments.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 10:06 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by llngoc
I....The agent I got online said that it will not since it is consider a cash equivalent purchase.....
If paying taxes were considered a cash equivalent the transaction would earn NO points, but this isn't the case,
Old Jan 24, 2021, 10:11 am

The agent I spoke to said that I will earn 1x points but not the bonus extra 0.5x as the terms for the bonus earn excludes cash equivalent. Anyone have first hand experience?

Does anyone know if service like pay1040.com coded the transaction as purchase or does Amex have special algorithm to exclude them? I heard even buying precious metal coins on USMint.com is not earning points nor applied towards spend for bonus.

I was paying for my son's college tuition and should have tried using the Amex and see.

Originally Posted by mia
If paying taxes were considered a cash equivalent the transaction would earn NO points, but this isn't the case,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.