Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA Tax Payments with Amex [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2022, 9:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by Centurion
Mia, Do you know the logic behind the limits for credit card payments?
You didn't ask me, but here's my theory: IRS doesn't want to have to account for a large number of transactions. In the absence of a limit, there would be someone out there that would try to pay a $10,000 tax liability with a $300-a-day limit debit card over 34 consecutive days.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Not to mention the stupid CU accounts with activity requirements, where people could be making dozens of $0.10 estimated payments
Old Mar 7, 2022, 9:53 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Can't you make a large "pre-deposit" to your Amex account before making the tax payment, so you have a big debit balance, and then you don't even actually have to use any of your credit line.

That said, does someone with that large of a tax bill really have that difficult of a time meeting the $25k annual spend naturally to make it worth paying the processing fee on this type of transaction?
You cannot have negative balances on your credit card for longer than 30 days. Banks will refund money for negative balances after that period of time. However, I suspect that if you had a bill of $1000 and sent in $10000 and followed that in a few days with a $10000 tax bill, you might be good to go.

To your second point, if one is itemizing deductions, the fee is tax deductible, so one does get back some of the cost of using the service.
355F1 likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by radonc1
To your second point, if one is itemizing deductions, the fee is tax deductible, so one does get back some of the cost of using the service.
Not since 2018. It was a 2%-floor item anyway (so rare to be useful), and suspended by TCJA.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 7:16 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by findark
Not since 2018. It was a 2%-floor item anyway (so rare to be useful), and suspended by TCJA.
Missed that. did the proposal ever take effect. i cannot find that it did. (Proposal was made in 2020)
Thanks

Last edited by radonc1; Mar 7, 2022 at 7:22 pm
Old Mar 8, 2022, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I called Amex and got a very cheerful but supremely unhelpful CSR who said prefunding "might" work but recommended against it, and otherwise suggested putting in for a CLI. I guess I have nothing to lose trying to 3x it, but I'm not the most optimistic.

Otherwise I might just go most of the way with 2x 4868 payments plus some regular payments... should be enough for me.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 6:46 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by HawkeyeFlyer
I just struggle with the large fees. It really wipes out the benefit in most cases. Around $1,000 fees for $30k payment (rough figures), just does not make it worth it in most cases in my opinion
In my case, I want the DL MQM bonus to move up to Platinum status.

My net fee is 1.87% less roughly 1% value for the miles = 0.87%. Say i charge $50k in taxes, this is equal to $435 in net cost for essentially unlimited upgrades to comfort plus at the time of booking that I currently pay for on almost every flight (I’m at Atl captive and upgrade lists are INSANE).
SPN Lifer and billygoat27 like this.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 2:05 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by emma dog
In my case, I want the DL MQM bonus to move up to Platinum status.

My net fee is 1.87% less roughly 1% value for the miles = 0.87%. Say i charge $50k in taxes, this is equal to $435 in net cost for essentially unlimited upgrades to comfort plus at the time of booking that I currently pay for on almost every flight (I’m at Atl captive and upgrade lists are INSANE).
I get your point but I will make the minimum spend by normal charges that do not incur any fees so it does not make sense
ijgordon likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I get your point but I will make the minimum spend by normal charges that do not incur any fees so it does not make sense
IMO this is flawed logic. "Normal charges" bear the opportunity cost of not tendering a better-earning card, which is a minimum of 2% and often quite a bit higher if categorizing spend opportunities arise. As long as the card fee is less than your straight-cash, no-category card the question isn't really "should I pay by card" but rather which card you should tender.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 11:47 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by findark
IMO this is flawed logic. "Normal charges" bear the opportunity cost of not tendering a better-earning card, which is a minimum of 2% and often quite a bit higher if categorizing spend opportunities arise. As long as the card fee is less than your straight-cash, no-category card the question isn't really "should I pay by card" but rather which card you should tender.
I can do it all on air travel at 5x.....make sense now?
ijgordon likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 4:34 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
If I exclude travel and dining expenses, my routine spend would take 5-7 months to hit $50k. I want the status now.

Again, makes total sense to me since I will get unlimited upgrades to Comfort Plus, a cabin I pay for now out of pocket, for an extra 5 months. I will pay $1000 for $500 worth of miles + $500 worth of Comfort Plus over the next 5 months... which I would normally have paid $500+ for.

This math is specific for me... and doesn't mean it has to make sense for your situation.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To close the loop with a half-useful data point: to my surprise I was able to successfully do a 3x CLI (new limit is over $50k) which I wasn't expecting Amex to go for, but that should provide a decent workaround even if not directly addressing the original point.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 9:14 pm

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Did the math, paid the taxes on Amex Plat

Finally had a tax bill worth doing the math on this year. Looked at the 1.85% fee to pay taxes on the Amex Business Platinum, and the 1.85% fee to do it as well as getting 1.5x points (>$5000) and 40% transfer bonus to Avios (which I have a use for). All in all, paying via Amex vs cash got me the Avios at less than a cent per point (.88 cpp) in exchange for paying the cc fee.

I'll remember this for the quarterlies this year!
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by thatmikereed; Apr 17, 2022 at 9:28 pm Reason: I can't math tonight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.