Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AmEx Targeted NLL cards offers

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2024, 8:27 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Of course new accounts are best, but they entail a credit pull at times, and I prefer to keep them for Chase, Cap 1 Business etc etc
- Amex has been good in that respect - They often give new acounts without a pull.
The best way is when you can stack the employee cards on top of new accounts as you point out, but I can't do 18 cards in 1 month x 5 employees
When dealing with indutrial sized spend needed, it is better to avoid multiple new accounts and alert the RAT team.
One member of family is on the Amex RAT list after closing a Schwab card at 1 yr with just minimal spend.

So this method of maximizing spend with both the original card and stack that with employee cards is best,
but we could not do the volume of spend at the same time for everyone involved.
So, what to do if some of the cards were opened 8 months ago and this offer is available now with the spend to support it?
You take this offer instead of more new card applications and extend the primary card a year with a retention bonus if possible.
We had a whole lot of Amex offers since 2020, and we max out on them steadily up to the max spend that can be supported.

Take Capital One business Venture X = 395 fee; 100k spend (2625 lost cash) real cost 3k
For that I get 500k miles = at least 5k value = 2k free (or miles bought at 0.6 cpm)
I think of that as half my usual cost of miles from spend = 1.3c (lost cash 2.6/2 miles)
Cap 1 - only 20k spend = 150k bonus = 395 cost + 525 lost cash = $920 for 1900 miles = about 0.45c each

The current Amex AU route costs me 0.47-0.5c - a bit better than above. By doing smaller amounts you can get them cheaper.
Amex Gold 150k for 15k spend is better = 295 cost+ 395 lost cash = 690$ for 165k miles = 0.43c each
but stacking that with employee cards is even better as you point out = another free 95k miles for almost same spend
21k spend 1k main +4k on AUx5 on Gold card = 525$+295 fees = 800$ for 245k (150+20+75) miles is a bit above 0.33 cpm
That is a quarter of regular price for miles from spend (still, no miles are "free")

The only 1.5x spend is on the Platinum cards - not on the gold cards = 7.5+15= 22.5 for each AU
The 2x spend is on the business plus cards (AU gets 2x+15k = 23k per each 4k spend X 5 AUs) = 20k spend done - leaves 30k for later this year

Originally Posted by friedablass
I fail to see how this is better than opening some of the NLL offers out there. Current ones that I have include Biz Plat 200k points/$30k spend so I'll use that as an example. Assuming spend is all 1.5x as you did in your post, you will get 245k points for less than half the spend. Do it twice in a 6 month time span and for $60k spend you walk away with a cool 490k points vs 300k for $65k spend (190k points is worth more than the $1390 AF even if you use zero benefits). Also it's simpler to keep track of spend across 2 cards vs 15 cards. Plus you also get the benefits of the new Plat cards such as $200 airline, Dell, $10 wireless and whatever else you find useful to help offset the AF.
To add to the above, I've sometimes been able to add AUs to new accounts shortly after opening the account using offers such as the 15k for $4k spend and then the spend on the AUs also count towards the $30k needed for the SUB. So total points ends up being 320k per account for $30k spend assuming $5k per AU card x 5 plus another $5k on any card.
There's lots of ways to slice the pie and I'm not saying I wouldn't go your route to farm MRs, but I wouldn't exactly say it beats opening new accounts.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 12:35 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AA, UA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by blitzen
Hunting for Biz Plat / Gold offers now for a while. Hope my luck changes soon
Don't forget to clear out your cache and cookies before looking
Old Feb 1, 2024, 1:42 pm

Dumb question, but do the NLL bypass pop-up jail for SUB?
Old Feb 1, 2024, 8:20 pm

Can use some guidance to make a decision on couple of biz plat cards that are at 13-14 months

options:
a) Outright cancel so that I can get full refund of the annual fee
b) Downgrade to green and hold out for an upgrade offer later in the coming months this year.

Note: P1 first time in PUJ (learnt when applying for biz gold, which I never held) and hoping P2 is not in PUJ but last application was over a year ago, will get confirmation only at time of next app.

What factors are you weighing between downgrading vs cancelling?
Old Feb 1, 2024, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by hurnik
Dumb question, but do the NLL bypass pop-up jail for SUB?
Generally yes.

Originally Posted by acinchus
Can use some guidance to make a decision on couple of biz plat cards that are at 13-14 months

options:
b) Downgrade to green and hold out for an upgrade offer later in the coming months this year.

Note: P1 first time in PUJ (learnt when applying for biz gold, which I never held) and hoping P2 is not in PUJ but last application was over a year ago, will get confirmation only at time of next app.

What's PUJ?
Old Feb 1, 2024, 9:49 pm
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by UA Fan
What's PUJ?
I think it refers to Pop-Up Jail, when American Express displays a pop-up notifying you that you are not eligible for a new account bonus.
SPN Lifer and acinchus like this.
Old Feb 2, 2024, 5:34 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by acinchus

options:

Interesting question... I would normally say (and do) "just cancel," since the Business Green is as big a nothing burger as one can find in the points and miles universe. And $95 is $95, and quite a bet on a wasting asset like the possibility of an upgrade offer.

But... With NLL offers suddenly in seemingly short supply... and with the nebulous but possible relationship between a history of card cancellations and pop-up jail (PUJ) -- we are there, too, at least last time we checked -- it does potentially make sense to shovel a few bucks to Amex as a temporary peace offering (with the possible upgrade offer as a hope). Also, even without an upgrade offer, it occurs to me that within an upcoming 12 months it might prove useful (if a Player has no other active Business Platinum) to upgrade in order to weaponize the 35% back on MR points for paid flights. In fact, with no SUB or upgrade offer at risk, one could conceivably upgrade for a couple of months, use the 35% back, and then re-downgrade, right? I know that this is the exact opposite of the temporary peace offering I allude to a few sentences back, but -- to your original question -- these are, for me at least, some of the current considerations.
acinchus likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2024, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by UA Fan
This was working in incognito mode today morning and now it isn't. Anyone have a working one?
Looks like it's working again (with the higher annual fee, of course). Still targeted, if you login and get an error, you aren't targeted.

https://www.americanexpress.com/en-u...d/intro-offer/
Old Feb 2, 2024, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by DCJoe1
Looks like it's working again (with the higher annual fee, of course). Still targeted, if you login and get an error, you aren't targeted.

https://www.americanexpress.com/en-u...d/intro-offer/

The offer I'm looking for is one where you can add AUs to existing cards and get 15K mile for $4K spend.
SPN Lifer and DCJoe1 like this.
Old Feb 6, 2024, 11:51 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
I know that you can only apply for an NLL card once every 90-92 days for the Biz Gold and Plat cards. But what I don't remember is if this applies to both Gold and Plat cards at the same time or each one can run on it's own 90+ day cycle?

For example, if I applied for a Biz Gold a month ago, can I apply now for a Biz Plat or I need to wait 90+ days from the Gold app or do I only need to wait 90+ days to apply again for a Gold?
Old Feb 6, 2024, 1:21 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
I know that you can only apply for an NLL card once every 90-92 days for the Biz Gold and Plat cards. But what I don't remember is if this applies to both Gold and Plat cards at the same time or each one can run on it's own 90+ day cycle?

For example, if I applied for a Biz Gold a month ago, can I apply now for a Biz Plat or I need to wait 90+ days from the Gold app or do I only need to wait 90+ days to apply again for a Gold?
From memory it applies separately as inside 90 days Amex states something like "duplicate application" (which points to the same product vs product family)
Old Feb 6, 2024, 2:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by blitzen
From memory it applies separately as inside 90 days Amex states something like "duplicate application" (which points to the same product vs product family)
I was asking on behalf of my dad because I wasn't sure what happens if one applies for the other product inside of 90 days. He was approved for the Biz Gold about a month ago. Then he got a Biz Plat NLL offer, applied today using a different business he has, and was not instantly approved. It said more information needed and to call. He calls and is told to submit a form 4506-C 2022.

When he told me about it, I thought that perhaps this happened because of the 90 day rule, thus I came here to ask the pros, but it seems that the application would have rather stated that it's a duplicate if it's not allowed within 90 days? And the fact that they're asking for more info means that there's a chance of getting an approval once the info is provided?
Old Feb 6, 2024, 5:43 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus
I got my 90k MR points for $4000 spend on the personal Gold card.

I did not receive a targeted offer, just saw the offer when logged into the Amex site and went through the application without any popups or any language about once a lifetime for bonus points restrictions.
acinchus likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2024, 7:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
… I applied for a Biz Gold a month ago, can I apply now for a Biz Plat or I need to wait 90+ days from the Gold app or do I only need to wait 90+ days to apply again for a Gold?
90+ day limitation is correct and applies independently to NLL Biz Plats and NLL Biz Golds. At the height of the NLL craze a couple years ago, there were multiple reports here of approvals for a NLL Biz Plat and a NLL Biz Gold on the same day and again 92 days later. Personally, several times I was approved for a NLL Biz Gold or Plat within a few weeks of an approval for the other and always at least 91 days from an approval for the same card.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 6:54 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
I was asking on behalf of my dad because I wasn't sure what happens if one applies for the other product inside of 90 days. He was approved for the Biz Gold about a month ago. Then he got a Biz Plat NLL offer, applied today using a different business he has, and was not instantly approved. It said more information needed and to call. He calls and is told to submit a form 4506-C 2022.

When he told me about it, I thought that perhaps this happened because of the 90 day rule, thus I came here to ask the pros, but it seems that the application would have rather stated that it's a duplicate if it's not allowed within 90 days? And the fact that they're asking for more info means that there's a chance of getting an approval once the info is provided?
My applications went from pending/more information needed to declined inside an hour with the reason "duplicate application". For your father the pending seems to be triggered by another check and not the 90 day rule.
friedablass likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.