Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bonus points of Surpass card expire in 180 days?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2021, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Life-Plat 5MM, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, UA, BA
Angry Bonus points of Surpass card expire in 180 days?

I applied about a month ago for the Amex Hilton Surpass card. I spent over $2K, so I deserve 130K HH bonus points.
I received an email from Hilton that says: Congrats on earning 130,000 Bonus Points. Expire in 180 days !!!
This expiration in 180 days was NOT written anywhere in the info for the Surpass card.
Is this correct? anybody experienced such expiration?
And what does it mean? do I have to use the points to book within 180 days? or complete a stay with these points in 180 days?
I would have not applied for the card if I knew this expiration.
Old Nov 20, 2021, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Can you share a screenshot of that email?
Old Nov 21, 2021, 2:21 am
Original Poster

From Hilton email about 130K Surpass card bonus
Old Nov 21, 2021, 5:37 am
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Have the points been added to your Hilton account balance? Does your account show any expiration date for some or all of your balance?
Old Nov 21, 2021, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
Have the points been added to your Hilton account balance? Does your account show any expiration date for some or all of your balance?
130K points added to HH acct. Loos ALL the points in same bucket. No expiration date anywhere.
I think that HH acct cannot even manage something like this...
Old Nov 21, 2021, 11:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by IntFF

From Hilton email about 130K Surpass card bonus
I'm not sure the "Expires" language refers to the points but rather some other offer. The verb should be plural if referring to "points" as opposed to an "offer."
mia, SPN Lifer and pzpa like this.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Perhaps it was the ability to earn it that expired in 180 days, but since you already earned it, it doesn't matter?
_kurt and hhdl like this.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Perhaps it was the ability to earn it that expired in 180 days, but since you already earned it, it doesn't matter?
This seems most likely. Had you not completed the spend, you might have received the exact same email template except with wording like “it’s not too late to earn 130000 bonus points” swapped into the same space.
sdsearch and hhdl like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.