Search

On Our Own to Return Old Metal Cards

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2021, 9:55 am
Original Poster
Hyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold
On Our Own to Return Old Metal Cards

I called Amex CS this morning to get one of the mailers for returning expired/cancelled metal credit cards. I was told that as of today American Express is no longer providing those mailers and requires the cardmember to mail the cards back to Amex on their own dime. Obviously the cost of an envelope and postage is not going to be an issue for most people holding metal Amex cards. However, I find the concept to be obnoxious. Amex pushes metal cards onto us and then pushes the onus for securely destroying them onto us as well. All to save a few cents of postage? How cheap. If the cost is too much for them to bear, then just provide plastic cards...
Old Sep 27, 2021, 10:06 am

Programs: US CP, SPG Gold
I agree that if they don't want to provide a mailer, they should at least provide a $1 statement credit for every metal card returned to be securely destroyed.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2021, 10:11 am

Programs: UA, AS, Marriott
You should up-cycle your old metal cards into apparel like TPG
Old Sep 27, 2021, 10:30 am

Programs: DL Silver, AA, UA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I received a replacement card on Friday and a postage paid envelope was included for returning the old card - I have it right in front of me, it is going to Plantation, Florida. I also received an email over the weekend reminding me to return the card.

The back of the envelope reads:

"Please send your existing Card back to American Express for destruction and recycling.
For your security and convenience, we have enclosed a postage paid envelope."
Old Sep 28, 2021, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, Hyatt: Explorist and Marriott: LF Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by gnomie
I received a replacement card on Friday and a postage paid envelope was included for returning the old card - I have it right in front of me, it is going to Plantation, Florida. I also received an email over the weekend reminding me to return the card.

The back of the envelope reads:

"Please send your existing Card back to American Express for destruction and recycling.
For your security and convenience, we have enclosed a postage paid envelope."
I got a replacement platinum and also got an envelope from AMEX to send my expired/expiring card
Old Sep 28, 2021, 12:36 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
A sturdy pair of tin snips will do the job without needing to mail anything.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 12:37 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by LDNConsultant
I got a replacement platinum and also got an envelope from AMEX to send my expired/expiring card
The CS rep I spoke with told me that Sunday (Sep 26) was the last day that a pre-paid/addressed mailer could be requested. When I asked for one this Monday she was so confused that she couldn't find the button to request one since she had just done it the day before. So makes sense that people would still be getting them this week.
dw and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by WrightHI
A sturdy pair of tin snips will do the job without needing to mail anything.
May be a dumb question, but I am getting so many credit cards, I am seriously considering your idea.

Would you care to make any recommendations?

Would these basic ones do the trick?

Amazon Amazon

Part of me is upset at Amex, but another part of me wants to just pay a small amount of money and solve the problem.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
I guess they need to cut costs since our AF wasn't just increased by $100+ or anything.
notquiteaff and hp12c like this.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 1:58 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by diesteldorf
....seriously considering....
You may find this thread helpful: Sapphire card vs Shredder: how to destroy
Old Sep 29, 2021, 12:12 am

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Originally Posted by diesteldorf
May be a dumb question, but I am getting so many credit cards, I am seriously considering your idea.

Would you care to make any recommendations?

[link snipped]

Would these basic ones do the trick?

Part of me is upset at Amex, but another part of me wants to just pay a small amount of money and solve the problem.
Probably? According to my Amazon purchase records, the ones I have are 12” Irwin brand straight tin snips. Purchased for another project but they turn out to cut metal cards too.
diesteldorf likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
I like to cut a 2-mm strip, discard it in a remote trash receptacle, and then do that again a week later somewhere far away.

The security is worth the extra months.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by gengar
I guess they need to cut costs since our AF wasn't just increased by $100+ or anything.
Charging $695/year for a credit card, sending a metal card, then discontinuing a 40 cent return envelope is just tacky. You expect premium service for that kind of money.

Even Apple still includes that pokey thing for SIM cards with their iPhones.
LETTERBOY and hp12c like this.

Last edited by stupidhead; Sep 29, 2021 at 4:52 pm
Old Nov 5, 2021, 1:01 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AA, UA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Just received my replacement card via FedEx - also included was an envelope to return the old card.

Also of interest - the fraud representative that I spoke to yesterday and assisted me in obtaining a new card ASAP must have been monitoring the delivery of the card because ten minutes after it arrived, she called to verify receipt and to remind me to return the old card in the envelope provided.
imnotalawyer likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 3:35 pm

Seriously? Keep the old card and .....1. Keep it in the glove box as an emergency vehicle windscreen ice scraper. 2. Keep it in the desk drawer as a envelope, package opener.
radiolarian, m907 and hhdl like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.