Sapphire card vs Shredder: how to destroy

Old Aug 19, 2011, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Sapphire card vs Shredder: how to destroy

Sapphire versus Shredder

So my wife and I got approved for the Chase Sapphire card on the same day. After about 4 days I got mine in the mail but two weeks later she had still not gotten hers. She called up and after finding out it had been sent out 7 days ago had it canceled and a new one overnighted. Chase had said if the old cards showed up just destroy them. Easier said than done. So the next day after canceling the old cards arrived in the regular mail and the new ones via overnight. My wife told me well you made me call, you destroy them. So I got out my hand paper shredder I regularly use on credit cards and placed the Sapphire card in. the card went through and came out in the hopper in one piece but all the cutters curled over and then seized.
Don’t let this happen to you! My chase sapphire card churn cost me an extra $50 for a new shredder.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It has metal in it didn't you see?

I normally just use a pair of plain old scissors to cut the sensitive information into pieces and dispose them on separate occasions. Did this on all paperwork as well - far more effective than using shredders and the remnants of the paper can go to recycle bin no problem.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 9:26 am

I would suggest either dropping it into Mt. Doom or striking it with the Sword of Gryffindor (a Basilisk fang may be substituted).
Old Aug 19, 2011, 9:31 am

http://torchlighterss.com/wp-content...-Gas-Torch.jpg
Old Aug 19, 2011, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by IkeEsq
I would suggest either dropping it into Mt. Doom or striking it with the Sword of Gryffindor (a Basilisk fang may be substituted).
The problem with the sword of Gryffindor is that it absorbs that which doesn't destroy it, so all of your personal info from the card will be there if you ever lose the sword.

Mike
Old Aug 19, 2011, 9:50 am

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
Interesting !
Not obvious to me that it is metal,
but now that I look at it, apparently so !
Old Aug 19, 2011, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
I saw it was metal from the side but it looked thin and thought it would just cut. turn out its pretty buff. in fact i had a hard time cutting it with a really good pair of tin snips after the shredder problem. if i ever cancel the card i will use a grinder next time. that or a shredder with MORE POWER
Old Aug 19, 2011, 10:04 am

Nerd alert. Nerd alert. Fantasy novel references!

:0)

I love the sapphire card. I wish they'd make them all like that. It's really cool, but I hadn't thought of the shredder issue.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 10:12 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by IkeEsq
Originally Posted by mikeef
The problem with the sword of Gryffindor is that it absorbs that which doesn't destroy it, so all of your personal info from the card will be there if you ever lose the sword.

Mike
Bwahahahaha!
Old Aug 19, 2011, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by mikeef

Mike
On the plus side, the Sword of Gryffindor would now earn 2miles/$ on travel and dining purchases.
IADCAflyer likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by particlemn
I saw it was metal from the side but it looked thin and thought it would just cut. turn out its pretty buff. in fact i had a hard time cutting it with a really good pair of tin snips after the shredder problem. if i ever cancel the card i will use a grinder next time. that or a shredder with MORE POWER
If the cancellation is not due to fraudulent charge, I would not bother to cut it. Once an account is closed, the charge could not go through unless from those "pre-authorized" types such as recurring bill payments.

Now if the cancellation is because you need a new card number due to fraudulent charges, charges made under the cancelled number would still go through for a while and carry over to the new number.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 10:24 am

Programs: UA 2P, HY Diamond
Sapphire versus Shredder

Round 1: Sapphire
Round 2: ?

Old Aug 19, 2011, 10:32 am

Programs: BW Diamond, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
I went through the metal detector at the airport with my wallet in my pocket, it beeped. Couldn't figure out why, I had no keys, belts, coins, watches etc.

Then I took the Sapphire card out and went through with no beep, no joke!
Old Aug 19, 2011, 10:55 am

I had to aslo close me shappire card after a fraudulent charge.
Luckily one day earlier, I found out that it is made of metal after discussion about the card design on fatwallet.

Saved $65 shredder!
Though, I have still not figured out how to destroy this card.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 10:59 am

Programs: Alaska Air, BA, Delta, Hilton, Starwood,
So, I'm pretty new here. But any site that gets me freebie miles, freebie anything AND includes straight-faced references to LOTR is a place that I definitely belong.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.