Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Card removed from Google Pay

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2021, 8:57 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I called customer services at Wells Fargo and Amex - neither had any clue as to why the cards were removed. Have added both back on the affected phone. The other phone wasn't affected (so far).
Old Apr 15, 2021, 9:12 am
Original Poster

The card was removed again and I added it back again.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 9:15 am

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Domestic Airline Nobody
Originally Posted by cjw2001
The card info is stored in Google Play Services on Android, so it doesn't matter whether you are using the new app or the old app - the cards are saved in the same place. I have both apps installed.
It was strange because when I installed the "new" app, there were no payment methods retained. However, all my other stuff was there (frequent flyer accounts, store/chain rewards and loyalty cards, etc). When I clicked "Add Payment Method", it had my cards all there from which I could select. However, it almost looked it the pick list was coming from the Samsung.Pay list.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 9:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The fact that this is happening to more than one person and across card issuers, also suggests the potential of the spearhead of a significant fraud.

I would like to think that it is an IT glitch, but the same pattern could also point to fraud.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 9:21 am

Same issue here - randomly removed about an hour ago (4pm UK time)

Only my AMEX was removed, not my visa etc
Old Apr 15, 2021, 9:32 am

Same here, twice today once at 0148 and once at 0950 after i readded it. Only BA Amex, no other cards impacted. UK based.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 9:37 am

Same here. My plat got removed at 1:39 AM EST, I chatted with amex and they said "I see Google pay showing cancelled from your end. It is showing it is cancelled by card member". I re-linked it soon after and it got removed again at 6:25 AM. And now my gold got removed at 8:06 AM.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 9:37 am

Programs: VA (Plat), QR (OWE), BAEC (Silver), AY (Gold), HH (Diamond)
Recieved the emails at 11.30 this morning, readded about 1pm and now 4.30pm emailed again as they've been removed. Both BA AMEX and Platinum Business (UK based). Hopefully a Google glitch as I can't imagine fraud could see so many sides of AMEX affected?
Old Apr 15, 2021, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
The fact that this is happening to more than one person and across card issuers, also suggests the potential of the spearhead of a significant fraud.

I would like to think that it is an IT glitch, but the same pattern could also point to fraud.
Unless I'm missing something, it's only Amex cards. The one MC seemed to be caused by updating the Google Pay app.

If someone has sufficient account information, I'd think they'd do something other than randomly removing Amex cards from Google Pay, although you never know.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 10:16 am

Any one else have Amex cards on multiple devices? I've got one device affected and one device (so far) not affected.

I added back both removed cards and one of them has already been removed again.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 10:23 am

I have two Amex cards in GPay. Both are Delta Amex. One is personal, the other is business. The personal one got removed. I added it back and it was removed again 3 hours later. So far the business card is not affected.
FargoUT likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 10:42 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles
This happened to me as well. I don't know what happened, but both my business and my personal Amex cards were removed from Google Pay. I didn't do anything, and I've been using Amex through Google Pay for months now. I am not sure what happened. Suspicious and worrisome though. I would like to get a response from either American Express or Google to find out what caused this to occur.
timepperson likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 10:51 am
Original Poster

The Amex twitter accounts says they are investigating: Hi. We apologize for any inconvenience. Our technical team is investigating the issue. Please be assured your Card continues to work as normal. We would encourage you to attempt your Card later. If we can assist you in any way in the future, please let us know. Thank you. ^B

I can't seem to post a link
contractor and timepperson like this.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by richarddd
The Amex twitter accounts says they are investigating: Hi. We apologize for any inconvenience. Our technical team is investigating the issue. Please be assured your Card continues to work as normal. We would encourage you to attempt your Card later. If we can assist you in any way in the future, please let us know. Thank you. ^B

I can't seem to post a link
richarddd and timepperson like this.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 11:09 am
Original Poster

deleted twitter test

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.