Card removed from Google Pay

Old Apr 15, 21, 4:26 am
Original Poster

Card removed from Google Pay

This morning I got an email from Amex "Your American Express® Card ending in _____ was removed from Google Pay on your phone. If your American Express Card account has not been cancelled, you can re-add your Card to Google Pay at any time."

The card had in fact been removed from Google Pay and I did not have a problem adding it back. Coincidentally, I had tried using the card online yesterday and the transaction didn't go through. Nothing odd when I log into the web site.

Any ideas why this happened?
Old Apr 15, 21, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Possibly an IT glitch, possibly someone removed it for you.
Old Apr 15, 21, 4:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
Possibly an IT glitch, possibly someone removed it for you.
How could someone remove it for me?
Old Apr 15, 21, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They had access to your phone, or your login credentials, or they had access to your American Express account, from where you can remove a card from Apple/Google Pay.
Old Apr 15, 21, 5:44 am
Original Poster

That's what I was afraid you meant. I much prefer an IT glitch as an explanation.

I don't see how to remove Google Pay from the Amex web site. Searching for google only shows how to add the card. From what I can tell, they'd need access to the phone.
Old Apr 15, 21, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I assume you have a US Amex account? When I go on my US Amex home page, click on Account Services, then Card Management, then Manage Digital Wallets at the bottom. Here you can see which devices have Pay functions enabled, and suspend or remove them.
Old Apr 15, 21, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVP, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by richarddd View Post
This morning I got an email from Amex "Your American Express® Card ending in _____ was removed from Google Pay on your phone. If your American Express Card account has not been cancelled, you can re-add your Card to Google Pay at any time."

The card had in fact been removed from Google Pay and I did not have a problem adding it back. Coincidentally, I had tried using the card online yesterday and the transaction didn't go through. Nothing odd when I log into the web site.

Any ideas why this happened?

Same, just saw the email. It’s my Delta Plat card. No one had access to my phone overnight or yesterday.

Looks like an IT glitch.
Old Apr 15, 21, 6:55 am

I received the same email message this morning. I used Google Pay with my Amex yesterday and the charge went through. This morning I received the email from Amex that my card was removed. Perhaps an IT glitch?
Old Apr 15, 21, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by notquiteaff View Post
Same, just saw the email. It’s my Delta Plat card. No one had access to my phone overnight or yesterday.

Looks like an IT glitch.
Originally Posted by beagus View Post
I received the same email message this morning. I used Google Pay with my Amex yesterday and the charge went through. This morning I received the email from Amex that my card was removed. Perhaps an IT glitch?
It's reassuring that I'm not the only one. I just called Amex, who put me on hold for a few minutes, then said they had no idea, but thought it could be a glitch at their end.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Apr 15, 21, 7:01 am

Good to know. I was also relieved when I saw your post. Seems more like a glitch on their end.
​​
Old Apr 15, 21, 7:16 am

I had the same issue, and was also able to re-add the card without issue about 5 hours ago. In the last few minutes however I've just received the same email saying that card has been de-linked again...
Old Apr 15, 21, 7:30 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Gold, IHG Platinum
Had this happen to my Business Platinum card last night. Re-added it but it got taken off again.

I spoke with Amex about this an hour ago - apparently a Google glitch. They hope it will be resolved soon and suggested I try re-adding the card again tomorrow.
glennaa11 likes this.

Last edited by Mawalt; Apr 15, 21 at 7:57 am
Old Apr 15, 21, 7:35 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Same issue - an hour ago my Amex Blue Cash went away, then 5 minutes ago my Wells Fargo Propel Amex - both on my primary phone. On my second phone both are still there.
Old Apr 15, 21, 8:35 am

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Spire
Same with me... had to add Plat and Gold Business back.

One thing that I didn't see anyone else mention was that when I went into Google Pay to re-add the card, it said to "upgrade to the new Google Pay". So I did.

I figured that perhaps it was a complete revamp of the app, and that they needed to have users start over.

I re-added without incident, and checked my Amex account online and everything seemed OK.

It was not just American Express. I have one Mastercard that also needed to be re-entered. So perhaps it does need an entirely new reentry of everything AFTER you update the app.
Old Apr 15, 21, 8:55 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
The card info is stored in Google Play Services on Android, so it doesn't matter whether you are using the new app or the old app - the cards are saved in the same place. I have both apps installed.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: