Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

American Express Platinum: $30 PayPal Credit Per Month Until June 30

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2021, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TEDisgone
Merchant Description
While a PayPal charge is pending, "PayPal" may not appear in the merchant description but will once the charge posts (e.g., a pending charge listed as "BESTBUY.COM" will become "PAYPAL BESTBUY.COM"). The reimbursement appears as "AMEX PAYPAL CREDIT", typically around 3 days later.

Google Pay
PayPal can be added to Google Pay via payments.google.com > Payment Methods > Add a payment method (note that not all Google Pay is created equal; e.g. this doesn't seem to work for Fi payments)

Known Working Examples
List of some vendors that accept PayPal, from the official PayPal website: https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mp...l-credit-promo

Travel
  • Airfare purchased from some airline websites (does not work with DL, UA, WN as they do not accept AMEX via PayPal)
  • Flightradar 24
  • Uber Cash reloads
  • Lyft cash reload
  • US passport renewal application fee may accept PayPal
Donations and content creator payment platforms
  • Nonprofits: Doctors Without Borders, Feeding America, Pro Publica, WBEZ, KUOW
  • Bandcamp
  • Patreon
Shopping
  • Ace Hardware (online only?)
  • AARP Gift Cards (note discounted every Monday through rewards portal) as well as your membership dues
  • Banza Chickpea Pasta (eatbanza.com)
  • Bed Bath & Beyond (online orders)
  • Best Buy
  • Chewy
  • CVS Drugstore/Pharmacy (using “show to pay” QR code generated in Pay Pal app) Pay Pal must be “mapped” to qualifying Amex card with said benefit
  • eBay, including seller charges
  • Eddie Bauer (online only?)
  • Ex Officio
  • Express Scripts prescription fulfillment
  • Gap Factory Web
  • store.google.com
  • Home Depot (definitely online, possibly also in-store)
  • Keurig.com - it can be a set it and forget it if you use Green Mountain's subscription service
  • Macy's (online only?)
  • Nuts.com
  • PayPal eGift cards (merchant gift cards)
  • Poshmark
  • Starbucks card reloads
  • T2 Tea (online)
  • Target (not on iOS app)
  • USPS.com (stamps, shipping supplies, cards and envelopes, etc.)
  • Walmart
Streaming/Digital subscriptions
  • AT&T TV Now
  • CBS All Access
  • Disney+
  • Hulu
  • Netflix
  • NY Times
  • Spotify
Phone / Videoconference Services
  • VOIP.MS
  • Airalo.com
  • Zoom
Gas Stations
  • Shell (via Shell app) - however, note some FT'ers have reported needing to call in and manually credit
  • BP (via BPme app)
Gaming Digital Distribution Platforms
  • Steam (wallet reloads work)
  • PlayStation Network (wallet reloads work)
  • Battle.net (wallet reloads work)
Dining
  • Grubhub / Seamless / UberEats
Home utilities
  • Puget Sound Energy (PSE)
  • Possibly others that use "Paymentus" as a processor
Print Wikipost

American Express Platinum: $30 PayPal Credit Per Month Until June 30

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2021, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kthpence
Is there any way to use this credit in stores / grocery stores somehow (i.e. as you would with apple pay?) ? I'm thinking maybe you could add your paypal acct to a google pay account and somehow do it that way?8.5.5
Home Depot, I believe, let's you pay with PayPal at checkout.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 2:50 pm

FREE Gas, anyone?

Added Shell gas stations to the Wiki. Shell accepts PayPal via their app for contactless pump authorization and payment.

Courtesy links to the correct app...
iOS - Shell US & Canada
Android - Shell US & Canada
Magna, notquiteaff, Kacee and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 4:12 pm

Programs: Amex, Citi
Gift cards through Walmart?

It has been stated that you can checkout with paypal at walmart.com. Has anyone tried purchasing a third party gift card (like a $50 GC to delta airlines) through walmart.com using the platinum card with paypal? Could help set up use of airline gift cards to trigger the $200 travel credit...
Old Jan 2, 2021, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by kthpence
Is there any way to use this credit in stores / grocery stores somehow (i.e. as you would with apple pay?) ? I'm thinking maybe you could add your paypal acct to a google pay account and somehow do it that way?8.5.5
I added PayPal to my Samsung Pay account but you can make payments only with bank accounts or debit cards. Can't use a credit card to make a PayPal payment through Samsung Pay.

By the way, what does 8.5.5 mean?
Old Jan 2, 2021, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some thoughts.
I first made a paypal purchase online about 2-3 years ago, buying a North Face jacket that was not in stock at my local store. One of the nice things about “Pay with PayPal” is you do not have to fill out all your personal information with the merchant. You just log into your PayPal account in a pop up window and the relevant info (eg, shipping address) is transferred over. Importantly, the merchant does NOT get your credit card info. So this is great for one-off purchases as it reduces the risk you’re impacted by the next security breach.

However, I needed to return the NorthFace jacket, and because I paid with PayPal, I could NOT just take it back to the store. I had to package and mail it back for the refund.

I *think* frictions like that have been reduced, but pay attention to the fine print.

Otherwise, using PayPal is pretty easy especially for those one-off transactions. Though I do also see the appeal of just setting your Netflix subscription to use PayPal so you don’t have to think about it each month.
akr1970akr likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by hman1359
It has been stated that you can checkout with paypal at walmart.com. Has anyone tried purchasing a third party gift card (like a $50 GC to delta airlines) through walmart.com using the platinum card with paypal? Could help set up use of airline gift cards to trigger the $200 travel credit...
Delta gifts cards haven't triggered the airline credit in a long time
Old Jan 2, 2021, 5:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Magna
Oh! Is there a way to shut off automatic reload? I don’t use Uber Eats that much. With upcoming Gold credit I’ll have $25 every month in Uber and $45 in December.
I'm not the best person to ask about anything Uber app related. I've had much frustration with it over the years.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 5:41 pm

Well, one of the breweries does pre-sales of beers and they only accept PayPal payment - so $20.85 charged to Platinum - lets see what happens (I also switched Spotify and Netflix over)
Old Jan 2, 2021, 5:48 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Has anyone tried purchasing a third party gift card (like a $50 GC to delta airlines) through walmart.com using the platinum card with paypal? Could help set up use of airline gift cards to trigger the $200 travel credit...
Originally Posted by Sloflyer032
True, but *use of* gift cards in conjunction with paying the remainder on an AMEX is one of the more popular methods of monetizing the credit on DL right now.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 5:50 pm

Programs: Amex, Citi
Originally Posted by Sloflyer032
I'm not talking about using the airline credit to buy gift cards, I'm talking about using paypal checkout at walmart.com to buy gift cards.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 5:59 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
If one struggles to figure out how to spend 30$ a month online I wonder why they have a premium travels reward card with a hefty annual fee in the first place
GUWonder, saint, brc01 and 8 others like this.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 6:00 pm

if you read back I already tried and failed 3 times. each time paypal denied the charge as "suspicious". order completes through walmart, then is denied through paypal, then walmart order is canceled.
ymmv. reason given by paypal was this purchase was unusual for me, but I've read other reports of other gift card purchase through paypal being denied.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 6:12 pm

I'm probably just going to put Starbucks on auto-load for sixth months then, it's equivalent to cash for me...
Old Jan 2, 2021, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Some thoughts.
I first made a paypal purchase online about 2-3 years ago, buying a North Face jacket that was not in stock at my local store. One of the nice things about “Pay with PayPal” is you do not have to fill out all your personal information with the merchant. You just log into your PayPal account in a pop up window and the relevant info (eg, shipping address) is transferred over. Importantly, the merchant does NOT get your credit card info. So this is great for one-off purchases as it reduces the risk you’re impacted by the next security breach.

However, I needed to return the NorthFace jacket, and because I paid with PayPal, I could NOT just take it back to the store. I had to package and mail it back for the refund.

I *think* frictions like that have been reduced, but pay attention to the fine print.

Otherwise, using PayPal is pretty easy especially for those one-off transactions. Though I do also see the appeal of just setting your Netflix subscription to use PayPal so you don’t have to think about it each month.
This must be why Target refunds PayPal as a gift card. I was wondering why (I made a few Target purchases last quarter on my Chase cards using PayPal and had to return a couple of items).

Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
If one struggles to figure out how to spend 30$ a month online I wonder why they have a premium travels reward card with a hefty annual fee in the first place
Yeah I don't fully understand the gift card / MR approach to this $30 credit. It's really simple to work into existing spend or to give yourself a $30 discount off something you've been eyeing from Target / Walmart / Best Buy / etc.

Personally there are a couple of things I've been wanting but haven't pulled the trigger on (e.g., I've been needing to get some free weights for my house but don't love the COVID-inflated prices, $30 off makes them those prices more palatable)
IndyHoosier likes this.

Last edited by Duke787; Jan 2, 2021 at 6:21 pm
Old Jan 2, 2021, 6:39 pm

For anybody who wears Asics shoes, looks like PP is an easy checkout option on their website. I need new sneakers and will probably stack this with other discount codes I have for a cheap pair at least once.

I just got approved for the Plat a few days ago, so seeing this promo was a pleasant surprise as it hadn't been announced when I applied.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.