Community
Wiki Posts
Search

End of an Era! (Closed Centurion card account.)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2021, 1:42 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by EXPLAT
"The Points Guy" talks about his concierge with great reverence and how they plan out extravegent itineraries for him.
Given AMEX's Centurion marketing, is it any surprise at all that a blogger just happens to have exceptional experiences?
Old Jan 7, 2021, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by gengar
Given AMEX's Centurion marketing, is it any surprise at all that a blogger just happens to have exceptional experiences?
Without knowing anything about the spend level of others mentioned in this thread, I would be more inclined to believe TPG's experiences are more because of his $15M/year spend on the card (that number is a guess, extrapolated from his 2M points/month comment, at 1.5x, from the NY Times article).

Edit: might be more than that - I think the 1.5x only goes up to something like 1M extra points per year?

Last edited by gr2020; Jan 7, 2021 at 11:08 am Reason: Note about 1.5x limit
Old Jan 7, 2021, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HawkeyeFlyer
Are you willing to share what your average spend was on the Centurion annually?

From being one of the first card members when Cent was issued up until the end of 2019 I was putting an average of $200K a year on the card. In 2020 I charged $7,500 Most spend was T&E related Delta, Hertz and Hilton plus a lot of eating out.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 4:07 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum Elite, Delta Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by sdix
From being one of the first card members when Cent was issued up until the end of 2019 I was putting an average of $200K a year on the card. In 2020 I charged $7,500 Most spend was T&E related Delta, Hertz and Hilton plus a lot of eating out.
When did you first get a Centurion card? I thought before the Centurion became widely distributed, it was EXTREMELY limited to ultra high net worth individuals spending millions on their Platinum cards.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 4:50 pm

Hahaha I got it at US launch and definitely wasn’t spending millions!
Old Jan 7, 2021, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Chris2013
When did you first get a Centurion card? I thought before the Centurion became widely distributed, it was EXTREMELY limited to ultra high net worth individuals spending millions on their Platinum cards.
I think that's pretty erroneous. It was limited but I had 200-250K spend on my plat. I got mine before Paris Hilton and Lyndsey Lohan. Up until my last renewal there was recognition on the physical card as a "Charter Member"

I know many regular folk who have Centurion cards.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 9:19 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by sdix
I think that's pretty erroneous. It was limited but I had 200-250K spend on my plat. I got mine before Paris Hilton and Lyndsey Lohan. Up until my last renewal there was recognition on the physical card as a "Charter Member"

I know many regular folk who have Centurion cards.
I know LOTS of people who have the Business Centurion and two who have the Personal/Individual Centurion
Old Jan 14, 2021, 7:07 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by HawkeyeFlyer
I know LOTS of people who have the Business Centurion and two who have the Personal/Individual Centurion
"LOTS" of people? This is clear boasting and exaggeration. Unless you work for AmEx Centurion department, I just do not think so. Or possible some large corporation give business cards to LOTS of employees.

There are about estimated 20,000 Centurion cardholders in US and about 84,000 globally. There are probably more business cardholders, my guess is probably 40,000 in US.

Last edited by RedSun; Jan 16, 2021 at 8:28 pm
Old Jan 14, 2021, 8:01 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Originally Posted by gengar
We're not all supposed to believe that the Centurion will give us red carpet treatment to escape an eruption in Bali or any other catastrophe?
imnotalawyer likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by Super Mario
We're not all supposed to believe that the Centurion will give us red carpet treatment to escape an eruption in Bali or any other catastrophe?
Not sure if this would qualify as red carpet treatment, but the card does allow for access to Bellagio's chairman lounge, where I've heard that even some of their own Noir members aren't given complimentary access to. I suspect there are probably many instances of little perks that aren't generally publicized, but, of course, their respective value and worth is cardmember dependent.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 11:26 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, UA Mileage Silver, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Visconti
Not sure if this would qualify as red carpet treatment, but the card does allow for access to Bellagio's chairman lounge, where I've heard that even some of their own Noir members aren't given complimentary access to. I suspect there are probably many instances of little perks that aren't generally publicized, but, of course, their respective value and worth is cardmember dependent.
I thought you had to have a certain room to get that?
Old Jan 14, 2021, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by newbie88
I thought you had to have a certain room to get that?
Ah, I have no idea what their policies are, but have been told by several here on FT that the access has to be coded in by a host or paid for upfront. So, I'm assuming for Noir members to have access, it would have to be a part of the room package and coded in by his/her host.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 5:59 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by Visconti
Noirs get to check-in at RFBL lounge, which is better than Chairman. It is technically correct that Noirs can't just check-in at Chairman (they will redirect to RFBL as they don't have the keys/paperwork), but as RFBL is a better lounge there is no reason a Noir would want to check in at Chairman anyway.

Note that Chairman Lounge access is available as a paid add-on to any room at Bellagio, and is also included with all room types above the Penthouse Suite. So sure it's a nice perk, but nothing exclusive.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by gengar; Jul 14, 2021 at 12:18 pm Reason: clarify poor wording
Old Jan 16, 2021, 3:33 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by RedSun
"LOTS" of people? This is clear exaggeration. Unless you work for AmEx Centurion department, I just do not think so.

There are about estimated 20,000 Centurion cardholders in US and about 84,000 globally. There are probably more business cardholders, my guess is probably 40,000 in US.
First of all I really dont care what you think of believe. I know no less than 15 people who have the Business Centurion. That seems like LOTS to me. If it does not to you then that is fine. Move along
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 4:22 pm

All I know is that if there are really 20,000 US Centurion cardholders then AMEX is collecting lots of revenue from the annual fees - $100 million just off the basic cardholders. And that is LOTS of money.
RedSun likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.