Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Do Platinum cardholders ever receive gifts from Amex?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do Platinum cardholders ever receive gifts from Amex?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2020, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum Elite, Delta Silver Medallion
Question Do Platinum cardholders ever receive gifts from Amex?

I hear stories about Centurion cardholders receiving nice gifts from Amex but have not heard any about Platinum cardholders. Have any Platinum cardholders ever received any gifts whether it be in the form of a gift card or a physical item sent unsolicited? Just curious as to the rhyme or reason of how to get on Amex's "nice list".
Old Dec 24, 2020, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Gift cards, sure. I have one sitting on my desk from Aurate. I got one last year from Hugo Boss.

But these aren't really personalized gifts or anything.
Old Dec 24, 2020, 12:53 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Discussion is here: Amex Appreciation Gift , but understand that "gifts" are marketing gambits funded by merchants. This has little to do with American Express appreciation, but much to do with falling into a marketable demographic.
janwillem and Pittie Pup like this.
Old Dec 24, 2020, 1:17 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
I swear I'd gotten something a few years ago, but as a regular thing? Nah. Some folks here have gotten some fairly nice gifts though.

(Considering my "while not millionaire-level, still pretty high, nevertheless" spend wasn't much affected this year (despite our Governor working hard to prevent that) I'm surprised they're not reaching out a bit harder to more of us.)
Old Dec 24, 2020, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
I've received plenty of what are technically "gift cards", but I've never thought of them as gifts.
Old Dec 24, 2020, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
If you don't count the gifts received from the Centurion Lounge, then none.

In fact, my no-longer-existed Chase Starbucks Visa gave me more gifts than AMEX.
Old Dec 24, 2020, 7:23 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
$320 worth of streaming and cell phone credits that weren't part of the cardholder benefits when I renewed in January
Old Dec 24, 2020, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum Elite, Delta Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by mia
Discussion is here: Amex Appreciation Gift , but understand that "gifts" are marketing gambits funded by merchants. This has little to do with American Express appreciation, but much to do with falling into a marketable demographic.
I was talking more along the lines of actual gifts like ...a gift card to Nordstrom or a Tiffany vase or Baccarat glasses. Something NOT for marketing purposes to be used for a singular designer. I’ve heard Centurion card members receiving ACTUAL gifts but not Platinum.
Old Dec 24, 2020, 8:40 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
The only gift Amex has ever mailed me is a monthly letter demanding payment....
I’ve more or less been a subscriber to the Platinum Card (aka the Big Kahuna) since 2015.
Old Dec 24, 2020, 8:45 pm

You can get a gift with any Amex card if you have a relationship manager
Old Dec 24, 2020, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Centurion
You can get a gift with any Amex card if you have a relationship manager
how do you get one of those ?
Old Dec 25, 2020, 7:32 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K, AC 75K
I got a deck of cards when they did the whole rebrand thing with the aluminum card in Canada.

Otherwise it's mostly Amex Offer stuff:
$200 off when spending $200 at Pearson Airport Shop
$200-$300 off from eating out or ordering delivery.
Old Dec 25, 2020, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by Chris2013
how do you get one of those ?
You get a RM (Relationship Manager) if you spend a lot of of money on any Amex card or they think you have the capability of spending a lot of money. Please do not ask what a lot of money equals as I have no idea anymore.
cfabar1 likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 7:19 am

Programs: 1K MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, AA Exec. Plat
I got a $100 gift card for Artemest.com (high end Italian furniture/home goods store), a few weeks ago. Got a nice little gift with that credit
Old Dec 31, 2020, 7:52 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, United Platinum Premier, AF/KLM Platinum

I've gotten some gifts from Amex over the years (including the offers like spend X and get Y back), but also this box just after Christmas this year (you did have to register beforehand for it).
This was AmEx Netherlands by the way.
therealdre and IndyHoosier like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.