Amex Appreciation Gift

Old Apr 18, 18, 4:46 pm
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Amex Platinum, Inspirato, UA Spouse of GS,Amanjunkie,Starwood Platinum,Hyatt Diam
Amex Appreciation Gift

Got an envelope in the mail today "With Appreciation from American Express". $100 Alexis Bittar gift card. No min spend required.

I know back in the fall and before Christmas, cardmembers were receiving them, but I never got it. In fact, in over 17 years of Platinum Card membership, this is the first gift I have ever received (with six figure spend). While it is a nice gesture, nowhere near as nice as some of the Centurion gift cards in the other threads. They are using the hashtag #amexappreciates
Old Apr 18, 18, 7:23 pm

Programs: SPG/Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold
It seemed to be random last Christmas. People who barely spent would get gifts while people like me with 60k on a platinum card for nothing. I hope someday to be that lucky.
Old Apr 19, 18, 5:18 am

Originally Posted by zorbachs View Post
It seemed to be random last Christmas. People who barely spent would get gifts while people like me with 60k on a platinum card for nothing. I hope someday to be that lucky.
i got a $100 gift cert to some retailer i'd never heard of on after the 5 year anniversary of my hilton surpass/ascend card, but nothing on my platinum card with like $60-80k a year. i hardly use my ascend card anymore either, max of like $10k a year for hotel stays. seems pretty random throughout the year too.
Old Apr 21, 18, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
This week I received a $250 gift card for Blade, and last year around this time Amex sent the same amount for Tiffany. I have a number of Amex cards, and I think these were sent on account of my personal platinum.
Old Jun 18, 18, 7:41 pm

I got one of those envelopes today; I have several Amex cards but I have had a Platinum for like 5 months only.
Anyway, it is a pretty generous gift: a one month membership at a Health Racket Club in NYC, as well as a free 1 hour personal training session and a free 1 hour massage. It's worth roughly $500.
Old Jun 18, 18, 7:54 pm

I got one today too. $100 gift card with a retailer. Catch: not transferable, no returns, valid for two months. Still a nice useful gift.
Old Jun 18, 18, 11:36 pm

I don't think they're being generous or giving anyone gifts. I think they are selling their customer list to retailers who think they can entice some of you/us to use, for example, their health and racquet club by getting you/us in the door via a promotional coupon/certificate. They are targeting the "gifts" based on geo-location, spending habits, etc. It's a smart way American Express monetizes one of their competitive advantages: a member base with (probably substantially) higher income/assets than other credit card issuers.

Nothing wrong with this, since they offer the opt-out, and it may turn out to a good situation for both the retailer and the card member.
mia and notquiteaff like this.
Old Jun 19, 18, 8:44 am

Programs: United Silver, Hyatt, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by nyc2cal View Post
I don't think they're being generous or giving anyone gifts. I think they are selling their customer list to retailers who think they can entice some of you/us to use, for example, their health and racquet club by getting you/us in the door via a promotional coupon/certificate. They are targeting the "gifts" based on geo-location, spending habits, etc. It's a smart way American Express monetizes one of their competitive advantages: a member base with (probably substantially) higher income/assets than other credit card issuers.

Nothing wrong with this, since they offer the opt-out, and it may turn out to a good situation for both the retailer and the card member.
Agree....I got a $150 to some retailer (a boutique of some sort) also that I never heard of...I am convinced the cheapest thing at this place will probably be $800 (with a 800% markup on it)....
Old Jun 23, 18, 9:37 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton ♢, IHG Plat, Radisson Gold, Hertz PC
I got $100 to Vincero Watches. Seems like a nice gift from Amex except it is a worthless gift to me as I'll never buy a cheap watch from someone like Vincero. I heard others got Nordstrom. Now that's a gift I'd use. Seems silly of Amex to provide a "forced" gift and yet give others something they want. I'd rather have $50 at Nordstrom than $100 at Vincero. Why not give us a choice?
Old Jun 23, 18, 3:34 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry View Post
....Why not give us a choice?
It isn't a gift. It's an advertising program paid for by the merchants. Nordstrom did not choose accounts that fit your profile.
Old Jun 24, 18, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVPG, Marriott Plat, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry View Post
I got $100 to Vincero Watches. Seems like a nice gift from Amex except it is a worthless gift to me as I'll never buy a cheap watch from someone like Vincero. I heard others got Nordstrom. Now that's a gift I'd use. Seems silly of Amex to provide a "forced" gift and yet give others something they want. I'd rather have $50 at Nordstrom than $100 at Vincero. Why not give us a choice?
is there any restriction on reselling or regifting the gift card? Perhaps you could get $50 for it and use the proceeds at Nordstrom. (no, not interested in your “gift”)
Old Jun 24, 18, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton ♢, IHG Plat, Radisson Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mia View Post
It isn't a gift. It's an advertising program paid for by the merchants. Nordstrom did not choose accounts that fit your profile.
In that case, I shouldn't have received it. I have removed myself from all direct marketing from American Express. No mail, no email, no calls. And yet, here they sent me advertising if what you're saying is true.
Old Jun 24, 18, 4:29 pm

Card Member for 35 years, they only thing I have received from AMEX is a bill every month.
yonikasz, lax01, skeena1 and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 27, 18, 4:20 pm

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Amex Appreciation Gift

Just got back from the mailbox. Along with today's mail was a sparkly blue envelope from Amex with this printed on the outside:
"In appreciation of your Card Membership, here's an exclusive gift for you."

And inside is a $100 gift card to Untuckit - valid only in physical stores and not online, but with no other strings attached. Specifically says on the card inside:
"This gift is complimentary. No minimum purchase is required on your American Express card."

It looks like this will get me one free casual shirt of questionable quality (if online reviews are to be believed), but at least there's a store just a few mins from my house.

Anyone else receive anything like this? I thought stuff like this was limited to the Centurion WOW gifts (and that those are generally higher value and for somewhat nicer things).

Or perhaps Amex found out that I opened a CSR and moved a good 60% of my spend over there...
Old Aug 29, 18, 4:44 pm

Programs: AA, UA, SPG
I was so excited when I also received the nice blue envelope but was quickly disappointed - it was a $100 GC for TheRealReal, to be used only at their store in Soho - it is a high end designer consignment store.

I have never been to the store, but many of my friends who have claim it is grossly overpriced and the same items can be purchased for much less elsewhere. Also, my friend purchased a Prada bag which turned out to be a fake.

Search this Thread