Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Earning Amex MR points through Rakuten (ebates) [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Earning Amex MR points through Rakuten (ebates) [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2020, 11:11 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by Gasolin
I really don't understand how you come up with 91 MR/$? I thought it was 1MR for $1 spent on Rakuten.

Edit: OK, I understand now. 90% cashback means that it's now 90MR for $1 spent... err, that's a bit funky. I suppose the question would be: is there a way to know which are the highest cashback offers in Rakuten easily?
I'm hoping we can use this thread as a guide going forward
Old Nov 30, 2020, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Is it really worth maintaining a wiki here when

(a) the rates change all the time (BF I earned 12% on Dell, today's it's 15%)

(b) sites like https://www.cashbackmonitor.com/ make it easy to see at a glance what shopping portal site is offering the best deal
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 4:11 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

I have consolidated fragmented discussion of the American Express / Rakuten relationship into this thread. If you find that I have overlooked other caches of Rakuten / ebates related posts, please click the triangular Alert icon on one of the posts, and I will review. (There is some additional discussion in the Saks Platinum thread, but I will leave it there because it does pertain specifically to shopping at Saks.)
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 5:11 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Is it really worth maintaining a wiki here when

(a) the rates change all the time (BF I earned 12% on Dell, today's it's 15%)

(b) sites like https://www.cashbackmonitor.com/ make it easy to see at a glance what shopping portal site is offering the best deal
I agree it isn't worth maintaining a Wiki but a consolidated thread is useful, and honestly like the Amex Offers thread, users can post here when they score good deals. A month or two ago I stacked my $50 Platinum card credit with a 10% off Saks coupon and 10% Rakuten points.
$160 AdP cologne -> $144 -> $94, and 1440MR worth conservatively $21 -> $73 out of pocket.

If I had waited until this weekend, it would have been another 864 MRs (16%)
Old Dec 1, 2020, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by Gig103
I agree it isn't worth maintaining a Wiki but a consolidated thread is useful, and honestly like the Amex Offers thread, users can post here when they score good deals. A month or two ago I stacked my $50 Platinum card credit with a 10% off Saks coupon and 10% Rakuten points.
$160 AdP cologne -> $144 -> $94, and 1440MR worth conservatively $21 -> $73 out of pocket.

If I had waited until this weekend, it would have been another 864 MRs (16%)
I usually spend my Saks credit on perfumes and there are some great Rakuten deals sometimes. 16% during Black Friday seems to be the high of the year the last few years. I bought a Tom Ford travel spray for $65 on Wednesday, but then saw a 15% discount on Thursday. Fortunately they adjust the price within 7 days if you bought at full price.

You should also occasionally check out Saksoff5th. A month ago, they had Tom Ford Beau du Jour for $109 ($184 at regular Saks), then a 20% discount off that, with 12% back on Rakuten. It came out to under $90 before tax with nearly 1000 points earned.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 10:18 am
mia

If you have a Rakuten VISA card issued by Synchrony, linked to a Rakuten account which is set to earn Membership Rewards, does your card spend also earn points rather than cash rewards?

Last edited by mia; Dec 1, 2020 at 10:26 am
Old Dec 1, 2020, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by mia
If you have a Rakuten VISA card issued by Synchrony, linked to a Rakuten account which is set to earn Membership Rewards, does your card spend also earn points rather than cash rewards?
On my purchases where it's only eligible for the "regular" 1%, it has translated over to my MR account. What kinda stinks is that on the paper statement (or PDF or whatever) for the card itself, it doesn't show anything (cash back/MR, etc.) But rather, it's all linked to your Rakuten account and you have to track it there.

Hope this helps!
Old Dec 1, 2020, 3:57 pm
mia

Originally Posted by hurnik
....where it's only eligible for the "regular" 1%, it has translated over to my MR account....
What happens in the 3% category?
Old Dec 1, 2020, 4:45 pm

Programs: Hilton Plastic, Delta Silver Emeritus
Originally Posted by itcheroni
I was in the market for some bluetooth speakers, Marshall Stockwell 2, and looked at Bestbuy and Adorama, both of which normally gives around 1%. I discovered that Bloomingdales carried the speakers for the same price and is 15% on Rakuten. And I had a $15 for 75 spend Amex offer. Just purchased so I'll update if for some reason I don't get the portal points.
I don't know how Bloomingdale's stays in business. I only use them as a drop shipper when I can stack a couple deals. I got the Google Max $149 deal with 15% Rakuten and $15 off $75 on Amex.

Then, I asked Mrs. HighOPS to buy the right speaker the same way.

I guess they lose a couple dollars on each sale and make it up on volume?
Old Dec 2, 2020, 4:21 am

Originally Posted by highops
I don't know how Bloomingdale's stays in business. I only use them as a drop shipper when I can stack a couple deals. I got the Google Max $149 deal with 15% Rakuten and $15 off $75 on Amex.

Then, I asked Mrs. HighOPS to buy the right speaker the same way.

I guess they lose a couple dollars on each sale and make it up on volume?
They're out of stock and cancelled my order. Disappointed because I really wanted that speaker for that price.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by mia
What happens in the 3% category?
From what I can tell, it gives the 3% as MR rewards (again assuming you're doing MR and not the Fat Check cashback). At least that's what it did for my purchases a few months ago.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 4:44 pm

Programs: Hilton Plastic, Delta Silver Emeritus
Originally Posted by itcheroni
They're out of stock and cancelled my order. Disappointed because I really wanted that speaker for that price.
[Hides behind two Bloomingdale's boxes so itcheroni won't see him.]

Last edited by highops; Dec 2, 2020 at 4:46 pm Reason: spellin'
Old Nov 18, 2022, 6:42 am

Programs: Coffee Shop Buy 10 Get 1 Free
Ok what am I doing wrong here...not giving me the option to get back in MR here. Thanks
Old Nov 18, 2022, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by DG206
Ok what am I doing wrong here...not giving me the option to get back in MR here. Thanks
For my accounts, it's under Account Settings -> How would you like to get paid (and there's 3 options: Amex, PayPal, and BigFat Check)
Old Nov 18, 2022, 9:50 am

Programs: Coffee Shop Buy 10 Get 1 Free
Originally Posted by hurnik
For my accounts, it's under Account Settings -> How would you like to get paid (and there's 3 options: Amex, PayPal, and BigFat Check)
Thanks, that is where the screeshot is from and not giving me the option. Amex Gold for reference

EDIT: Maybe operator error (me). Looks like I inadvertently set up two accounts and have the right one linked now. Oops. Thanks!
hurnik likes this.

Last edited by DG206; Nov 18, 2022 at 10:05 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.