Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Earning Amex MR points through Rakuten (ebates) [Consolidated]

Old Apr 4, 19, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Ex, Marriott Bonvoyed Gold, HHonors Gold, DL, CX Marco Polo

One can also now earn Membership Rewards points through ebates.com. Marriott, Intercontinental, and Fairmont are examples where one can earn Membership Rewards points. Marriott recently had 10% cash back/MR points offers. OTAs like Expedia, Hotels.com, and many others also earn MR points when booking via ebates.com. This is part of the American Express *complexity* which I love.
Attached Images  
Old Oct 31, 19, 11:35 am

MR from Rakuten Not Posting/Missing

Love the ability to earn more MR with Rakuten/Ebates but has anyone else had issues getting their points? I only recently started using the portal but had my first "Big Fat Check" to MR on 8/8 yet I still do no see them in my account.

Rakuten shows this:
3,808 points were transferred to your American Express account on 8/8/19.

I have already contacted AMEX but haven't heard anything back besides the initial contact of them saying they don't see the points. I have another 4k able to be transferred on 11/15 but I am worried these will again not show up...

What else can I do?
Old Oct 31, 19, 11:43 am

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
My August MR statement shows a posting on 8/12 as "Ebates Additional MR Points". I'd contact Rakuten and show them the contact from Amex confirming they never arrived.
lidosjawn likes this.
Old Oct 31, 19, 11:49 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
My August points posted on the 14th:

Ebates Additional MR Points
These points have been added because of an offer or qualifying purchases made.
lidosjawn likes this.
Old Oct 31, 19, 12:17 pm

Thanks both! I have pinged Rakuten to see if there is a disconnect
Old Oct 31, 19, 2:55 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Mine posted on 8/12 so somewhere there must be a problem. Hope you can sort it quickly
Old Oct 31, 19, 6:42 pm

Programs: na
just keep calling them
Old Oct 31, 19, 6:46 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AA Gold
I have had an issue when I leave my adblocker on.
Old Nov 1, 19, 5:44 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by cayohueso View Post
I have had an issue when I leave my adblocker on.
getting points credited but not iro payout of collected points
Old Nov 2, 19, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by blitzen View Post
getting points credited but not iro payout of collected points
According to this post by DoC:

Ebates: You Can Now Switch Your Account from Cash-Earn to Membership Rewards Points-Earn

"Note: prior cashback earned will be paid out in cash; it can’t be converted to points."
Old Nov 2, 19, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
According to this post by DoC:

Ebates: You Can Now Switch Your Account from Cash-Earn to Membership Rewards Points-Earn

"Note: prior cashback earned will be paid out in cash; it canít be converted to points."
A) the tread is about MR
b) adblocket prevents Rakuten to credit your account MR or cash doesnít matter
c) no one talks about conversion
Old Nov 30, 20, 1:02 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, BAEC Silver, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Amex MR rebates through Rakuten

Given it's cyber Monday and the prevalence of cyber shopping is as present as ever, I figured it's worth it to create a thread to compile a list of attractive deals through Rakuten. @MoDs if there is enough interest perhaps I can help maintain a wiki, as these offers come and go so it could be useful to double check when a recent high offer was.

What is Rakuten?
Rakuten means "optimism" in Japanese, and is formerly known as ebates. Essentially, it's one of the biggest shopping portals out there. Merely download the rakuten browser extension to your preferred browser or download the Rakuten app for mobile. How it works, before you do any shopping remember to click on the Rakuten symbol at the top corner of OR go to the Rakuten app on your phone and open the portal before you shop as normal. There are offers than range anywhere from 1% - 99% cashback.

What's the catch? Why would stores offer more discounts?
I'm not smart enough to answer this; all I know is that smart FTers will take advantage. Some behavioral economist can chime in this probably creates more sales or whatever, I just appreciate the opportunity to triple dip.

Triple dip?
Yes! The beauty of Rakuten, or any online shopping portal, is that it stacks with BOTH credit card multipliers and Amex offers. Talk about a win-win-win.

Example: A want to use up saks 5th credits. I have a x6 multiplier offer on my Amex card. There's currently a 15% rebate offer on Saks 5th purchases through Rakuten shopping portal. A make a 100$ purchase. Math: 1x Amex multiplier on MR card + 6x Amex offer + 15% rebate

Okay sounds good, but why in this AMEX forum?
Glad you asked! The beauty of Rakuten is that they have a partnership with Amex that instead of opting for a cash rebate, you can get the equivalent 1MR per .01. Just add an eligible Amex card to your wallet and you can opt for Amex Rewards in you account settings.

Last edited by mia; Nov 30, 20 at 7:06 am Reason: Remove referral offer
Old Nov 30, 20, 1:10 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, BAEC Silver, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Offer I just took advantage of:

I was in the market for a VPN since I want to stream some shows only available in Europe and Asia and I saw LifeLock + NortonVPN had a 90% cashback offer.

Now this is incredibly overpriced and I would never entertain buying this product, but I'm essentially buying MR points at .011$ per point. Given I needed to hit my sign up bonus on a recent card I upgraded this was a no brainer to me. I signed up my family of 4 for a total of $1187.60. At 91 MR/$ that's a whopping 108,000 MR added to my balance! If you have either a Schwab or Business plat you actually profit off these deal. Appears to be a cyber monday thing if you're interested.
Old Nov 30, 20, 3:37 am

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / AF Silver
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer View Post
Offer I just took advantage of:

I was in the market for a VPN since I want to stream some shows only available in Europe and Asia and I saw LifeLock + NortonVPN had a 90% cashback offer.

Now this is incredibly overpriced and I would never entertain buying this product, but I'm essentially buying MR points at .011$ per point. Given I needed to hit my sign up bonus on a recent card I upgraded this was a no brainer to me. I signed up my family of 4 for a total of $1187.60. At 91 MR/$ that's a whopping 108,000 MR added to my balance! If you have either a Schwab or Business plat you actually profit off these deal. Appears to be a cyber monday thing if you're interested.
I really don't understand how you come up with 91 MR/$? I thought it was 1MR for $1 spent on Rakuten.

Edit: OK, I understand now. 90% cashback means that it's now 90MR for $1 spent... err, that's a bit funky. I suppose the question would be: is there a way to know which are the highest cashback offers in Rakuten easily?

Last edited by Gasolin; Nov 30, 20 at 3:43 am
Old Nov 30, 20, 4:07 am

I was in the market for some bluetooth speakers, Marshall Stockwell 2, and looked at Bestbuy and Adorama, both of which normally gives around 1%. I discovered that Bloomingdales carried the speakers for the same price and is 15% on Rakuten. And I had a $15 for 75 spend Amex offer. Just purchased so I'll update if for some reason I don't get the portal points.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: