Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX in Finland - general discussion

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2020, 1:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
AMEX in Finland - general discussion

Since several countries now have dedicated threads for AMEX cards (Centurion, Platinum, Gold etc.) issued in those markets and how AMEX can be utilised in those markets in terms of card benefits (e.g. fast track security or lounges) and acceptance by vendors, I decided to start a dedicated thread for Finnish AMEX cards, since we're missing a thread for this market.

Let's start the thread with the very latest AMEX news: starting from 1 January 2021 Platinum cardholders will only earn 1 MR point per 1 € spent. Currently it's 1,5 MR points, so obviously we're going in a bad direction with this change. As a new perk, one can earn 40 000 bonus MR points for spending 40 000 € within a 12 month period, which is between 1 November and 31 October of the following year. I assume that's to even out a little bit the change they're making, but still not exactly trigger happy about this.

Last edited by Flying Yazata; Oct 22, 2020 at 1:53 am
Old Oct 23, 2020, 5:35 am

Programs: BA/VS Gold, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond
On the face of it that seems like an improvement for those who spend between €40k and ~€53k each year. Probably not a lot of people in that bracket.

The pessimist take is that this will also be phased out in due course. The IEC Centurion had a similar scheme (100 000 MR bonus for €100k in yearly spend) for a while, but no more.
Old Oct 23, 2020, 10:40 am
Original Poster

True, it's not certain it will stick. The AMEX customer service gave me the official rationale it brings the Finnish Platinum cards in line with other markets, where the Platinum cards give one 1 MR point per X currency units. I can't see how this will make their existance in the Finnish market any easier. Well, maybe the lack of Diners Club makes them comfortable enough.

Unfortunatey the AMEX ICCs aren't available for EU citizens. I would be tempted to jump ship, if I could get a card that's USD native. Also it seems there's better perks to those, not to mention I suspect the Centurion card is better.
Old Feb 4, 2021, 6:26 am
Original Poster

In case someone hasn't noticed it, Finnish Platinum and Centurion cardholders are again eligible for a 200/1000 € statement credit at SOK, Kesko (excl. online), Stockmann (excl. online), Wolt and Verkkokauppa.com until July 18.

If you haven't received the e-mail in January for activating the campaign, you can call CS for registration. The statement credits have at least worked for me very seamless.
Old Feb 4, 2021, 11:22 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, LH Sen, EK & VS Gold, Amex Cent
Originally Posted by Flying Yazata
Finnish Platinum and Centurion cardholders are again eligible for a 200/1000 € statement credit....
I didn't know Finland had Centurion... is that a new thing and any idea what are the benefits/requirements? Used to only be Sweden in the Nordics that had Centurion....

EDIT: I found an old thread that said they're introducing Cent with €3k sign-on and €3k pa fees, but no detail of tangible benefits vs the usual "priority access" stuff.

Last edited by YClass; Feb 4, 2021 at 11:29 am
Old Feb 5, 2021, 1:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YClass
I didn't know Finland had Centurion... is that a new thing and any idea what are the benefits/requirements? Used to only be Sweden in the Nordics that had Centurion....
My personal assumption is that it has been around as long as in Sweden, since both markets (as well as Norway) are handled by the same regional unit of American Express. In the Nordics, personal/retail AMEX is present in three markets. Not exactly sure why they don't do personal cards in Denmark (only corporate cards).

The Centurion card fees are pretty standard throughout the EU. I don't know about France or the other large countries, but the German advantages have been presented here pretty well. Also I've picked up elsewhere details about the Netherlands. The UK is apparently slightly different and more expensive.

The Centurion benefits are very standard for being a Europe-issued Centurion. Nothing fancy. From a Nordic perspective, Radisson is probably the most useful status for regional stays, but the status (Gold) is equal to Platinum. Thus, there's not any regional advantage over the Platinum card in terms of frequent traveller status. The regional differentiator is the ability to book the AMEX VIP boxes at certain event/sports venues. And like the LAX benefit, it's not free. So no, you can't sneak free of charge to see a KHL match (K as in Kontinental) or some numpty with a mic sing. The Pontus In The Air at ARN isn't exclusive to Nordic cardholders, so the Centurion area and menu would be at your disposal.

Last edited by Flying Yazata; Feb 10, 2021 at 1:39 pm
Old Feb 5, 2021, 6:14 am

Programs: IHG Plat; HH Gold; Accor Plat
Ask : Can Finnish Amex Plat MR Points to be exchange to Airline Miles?

I am wondering and also started to explore GEORGIA amex plat

Regards
Old Feb 5, 2021, 6:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HannsenBos3
Ask : Can Finnish Amex Plat MR Points to be exchange to Airline Miles?
Finnair Plus, AF/KL Flying Blue, SK Eurobonus and BAEC/IB Plus.
Old Feb 5, 2021, 8:04 am

Programs: IHG Plat; HH Gold; Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Flying Yazata
Finnair Plus, AF/KL Flying Blue, SK Eurobonus and BAEC/IB Plus.
Thanks for the answer

Hmm not as many Airline as for US Amex, but still okay

Nobody has info on Georgian issued Amex Plat yet,
quite curious about that one

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.