Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex Platinum - Cancel, but cashout MR via Schwab Amex?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2020, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

I've had an Amex Plat for 2 years, renewal charged on 9/8, have 110k MR points or so. Existing Schwab customer. Planning on applying for Schwab Amex Plat, transferring MR to it, then cancelling the regular Amex Plat. Doable? Any missing steps?
Old Sep 20, 2020, 6:20 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by NDS88
....applying for Schwab Amex Plat, transferring MR to it, ....
No transfer required. By default, all of your cards that earn Membership Rewards are linked to the same rewards account. When you open the Schwab card it should link yo your existing MR account. If not, customer service will fix it. you can then close the existing Platinum card, and the points balance will be unaffected.
Old Sep 20, 2020, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Sweet! Thanks for the rapid response.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 10:53 am

I'm in nearly the exact same position. applied for an AX everyday card a month back so I could just cancel the AX Plat and keep the points. to me, the AX Plat is most valuable for travel, so I might go several months without any card, then when the timing is right add the Schwab card (maybe if their signup bonus goes up?). I will have saved a few months of the annual fee in that case.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 11:59 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
If you don't need the card slot elsewhere, the AX Eveyday is a useful card to keep and run a token $10 autopay through the card every month to preserve MR points as well as for the occasionally good promo offers and the ability to keep earning MR points through the Rakuten portal. (As long as you have a MR points-earning card attached to your Rakuten account, you can actually pay with any card you want and still get the Rakuten side MR points from the transaction)
Old Sep 21, 2020, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by beachmouse
If you don't need the card slot elsewhere, the AX Eveyday is a useful card to keep and run a token $10 autopay through the card every month to preserve MR points as well as for the occasionally good promo offers and the ability to keep earning MR points through the Rakuten portal. (As long as you have a MR points-earning card attached to your Rakuten account, you can actually pay with any card you want and still get the Rakuten side MR points from the transaction)
I couldn't figure this out by looking, but how do you see MR through Rakuten comparing to their normal cash back? Similar value or do you get additional MR?
Old Sep 21, 2020, 3:27 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by dszrew
.... how do you see MR through Rakuten ....
You must open a new Rakuten account to earn Membership Rewards. It will still display rewards as cash back percentages, but the rewards will be periodically transferred to your Membership Rewards account at the rate $0.01 = 1 MR. Each time you login to that account you will be reminded that you are earning points rather than cash.
Old Oct 27, 2020, 10:40 pm
Original Member

Location: Highland PArk,IL,USA -- AA Lifetime Platinum, IHG Plat, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Radisson Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Hi

Have Amex Platinum for business. Says member since 1993. I have a boatload of points and I use mostly for my chosen airline or business class to get 35 percent back in points and their fares seem less than AA website. My other mostly used benefit is Cruise Privilege benefit. Like $200 OBC, maybe free kids soda, etc. based on cruise line. Since I am getting a tad older it seems like a safe way to protect points --> money just in case

If I apply and get Amex Platinum Schwab card do I still get Cruise benefits and 35 percent back in points? Weird question would it still say member since 1993? Silly but weird how often that comes up if I need to call customer service.

Seems like most other benefits are similar like Centurion, Priority pass, etc.

I would have both for just a few days and cancel Amex Business account.

Thanks.
Old Oct 28, 2020, 12:37 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by thepla
If I apply and get Amex Platinum Schwab card do I still get 35 percent back in points?
Thanks.
No, that particular benefit is unique to the Business Platinum card. There is no Schwab version of the Business Platinum, unfortunately.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 6:32 pm

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
Can you transfer MR to Schwab with the Schwab Investor CardŽ from American Express? If so is MR to $ rate the same rate as the Platinum?

I have had the Amex Platinum Schwab 3-4 years ago with bonus, can I re-apply and get another bonus?

Finally I may get the Schwab Platinum card for my wife, i see the best offer is 60k MR, are there any better offers out there?
Old Feb 23, 2021, 7:31 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by navatwal
Can you transfer MR to Schwab with the Schwab Investor CardŽ from American Express? If so is MR to $ rate the same rate as the Platinum?

I have had the Amex Platinum Schwab 3-4 years ago with bonus, can I re-apply and get another bonus?

Finally I may get the Schwab Platinum card for my wife, i see the best offer is 60k MR, are there any better offers out there?
1. No.

2. No.

3. No.
imnotalawyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.