Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American Express "Shop Small" offer is back

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2020, 8:32 am

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
My experience was not quite the same as how people are saying it works, but it might be a loop hole.

Husband registered primary card. I register my authorized user card on his primary account. We both start using the card. I apply for the same card in my own name with husband as an authorized user. When the card is activated the offer shows up on my primary card and NOT on my husbands authorized user version of my card, I register it and it appears to be working. So we seem to have three valid registrations for a total of 30 opportunities. We are finished with the original two registrations and halfway through the third registration (my new card). It seems to not have worked on two merchants but I think I will pass on calling and just be happy with what I get!
Old Aug 9, 2020, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fwfdan
My experience was not quite the same as how people are saying it works, but it might be a loop hole.

Husband registered primary card. I register my authorized user card on his primary account. We both start using the card. I apply for the same card in my own name with husband as an authorized user. When the card is activated the offer shows up on my primary card and NOT on my husbands authorized user version of my card, I register it and it appears to be working. So we seem to have three valid registrations for a total of 30 opportunities. We are finished with the original two registrations and halfway through the third registration (my new card). It seems to not have worked on two merchants but I think I will pass on calling and just be happy with what I get!
You may or may not, see the additional credits now awarded, being clawed back MONTHS LATER.

Based on numerous DPs the past 2 years how AMEX system handles the "violation" on the intended purpose either the AMEX Offers or the regular benefits that seemingly one can double dip from the look of it, 95% of the chance that the extra credits would be clawed back eventually. The worst thing is, the claw back often happens several months later, even on canceled cards!
Old Aug 9, 2020, 6:37 pm

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Originally Posted by Happy
You may or may not, see the additional credits now awarded, being clawed back MONTHS LATER.

Based on numerous DPs the past 2 years how AMEX system handles the "violation" on the intended purpose either the AMEX Offers or the regular benefits that seemingly one can double dip from the look of it, 95% of the chance that the extra credits would be clawed back eventually. The worst thing is, the claw back often happens several months later, even on canceled cards!
Not sure how they could "claw back" a $5 credit on a closed card? Send me a bill? I understand a points bonus (for example getting bonus points on gift cards against terms), but a credit seems hard to believe.

As for an open card, which it is my intent to keep the cards open, I am not sure they would really charge a card for the credits. How would it show up on my bill?

All I know is that the offer was there and I registered. Not sure where it says it should not be there and that I should not register the card. And for sure I did not hear or see anything like that until I read it here....
Old Aug 9, 2020, 7:09 pm

...I am not sure they would really charge a card for the credits. How would it show up on my bill?...
A clawback will likely have the same name as the original credit, only without the negative sign. And the logistics of paying a balance on a closed account is exactly the same as if the account were open. Sometimes you may also receive an email or letter of the type "We have made a mistake, and have issued a correction. Look for it on your next billing statement".
Old Aug 11, 2020, 7:00 pm

I highly doubt there will be clawbacks (even months down the road) on this deal. The only thing I foresee coming is if someone opened up many AU accounts on one of their accounts that offers free AUs, registered their cards for the AO, never added SSNs, used the offer and the cards automatically close in 60 days. But I bet even 1-2 of these wouldn't result in a clawback. It would probably have to be something totally egregious.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not sure how they could "claw back" a $5 credit on a closed card? Send me a bill? I understand a points bonus (for example getting bonus points on gift cards against terms), but a credit seems hard to believe.

As for an open card, which it is my intent to keep the cards open, I am not sure they would really charge a card for the credits. How would it show up on my bill?

All I know is that the offer was there and I registered. Not sure where it says it should not be there and that I should not register the card. And for sure I did not hear or see anything like that until I read it here....
It will show as the same amount but instead of a credit with a negative sign, it is a "charge" without the negative sign.

You may or may not get a letter informing you about "we have made an error adjustment to your card, blah blah blah."

Key to avoid such nonsense is NOT to enroll more than once on the same offer for the same SSN, within AMEX own cards. The Banks AMEX Network cards do not fall into this "trap".

This thing is really not new - the first showings were over 2 years ago. AMEX indeed has the ability to bill back the closed card which if not caught by the cardholder, could easily turn into a unpaid balance...
AMEX now even has the ability to claw back Miles and Points that have already transferred to the loyalty programs - that incl DL and HH programs the last I read a few weeks ago.., All those "ill-gotten" grocery spend category bonuses earnings were all clawed back.

Like I said, the worst thing is such corrections done by AMEX often happen months later - when people think the coasts are clear... This is truly an issuer you need to pay closer attention and understand how it works so not to accidentally fall into various "traps".
Old Aug 12, 2020, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by outasflyguy
I highly doubt there will be clawbacks (even months down the road) on this deal. The only thing I foresee coming is if someone opened up many AU accounts on one of their accounts that offers free AUs, registered their cards for the AO, never added SSNs, used the offer and the cards automatically close in 60 days. But I bet even 1-2 of these wouldn't result in a clawback. It would probably have to be something totally egregious.
I believe you can no longer open AU cards without giving SSNs.

Most AMEX Offers are one per SSN. The best way is to AVOID both Primary and AU registered for the same offer.
You really ought to read my post on personal experience about this - just a few posts back - how AMEX erroneously clawed back offers registered to 2 owners' primary cards but one owner is also an AU of the other owner's primary card... so you can understand the craps AMEX could do.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 9:53 am

I have 3 transactions at the same merchant that haven't triggered the credit. The merchant name in the transaction includes "MIDWEST" in the title whereas the Shop Small map only has the name. Amex is denying me the credit on that basis. Address is the same and everything.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jjangoo
I have 3 transactions at the same merchant that haven't triggered the credit. The merchant name in the transaction includes "MIDWEST" in the title whereas the Shop Small map only has the name. Amex is denying me the credit on that basis. Address is the same and everything.
They could have two merchant accounts with Amex for some reason. But I'm surprised Amex won't just make it right for you.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting data point: I have some recent purchases where I haven't gotten credit yet according to my list of transactions, but when I go to the "Savings" tab of Amex Offers, it shows that I've received credit. I assume it'll pop up in my transactions list in the next few days.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 10:12 am

I forgot that tab existed. I usually depend on the email alert to let me know if the offer actually worked.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 6:33 am

I know this is picky, but I am left shaking my head when my email from Amex warning me that this offer expires soon refers to an "elegible" small business.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 9:02 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Ord Liza
I know this is picky, but I am left shaking my head when my email from Amex warning me that this offer expires soon refers to an "elegible" small business.
My e-mail has eligible spelled correctly, but it's telling me I've only used the offer 5 times, so need to use 5 more - but I've used 9 and have gotten the credits already on 9. Wish they would let me use it 5 more times!
Old Sep 12, 2020, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
My e-mail has eligible spelled correctly, but it's telling me I've only used the offer 5 times, so need to use 5 more - but I've used 9 and have gotten the credits already on 9. Wish they would let me use it 5 more times!
Amex seems to be behind on a lot of metrics - even those that are marked "updates daily" like the spend counters.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 10:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I got an email today reminding me that the offer is expiring soon (September 20th) but it unfortunately doesn't tell me how many times I've received the credit. I had a purchase yesterday from a merchant that previously generated the credit, but no email telling me that I got the credit either, although I suspect that I only received the email the first couple times.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.