Search

American Express "Shop Small" offer is back

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2020, 5:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Plastic, Delta Silver Emeritus
American Express "Shop Small" offer is back

$5 off $10 up to 10 times at businesses on the small business map. Expires 9/20

This is quite retro. It's obviously a little harder to use now.
Gig103 likes this.

Last edited by highops; Jun 29, 2020 at 5:12 am Reason: off spelled wrong, add exp
Old Jun 29, 2020, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by highops

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/s...ess/shop-small

saw it this morning as well. Nice!
Gig103 likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by cfischer
The number of participating businesses in my neighborhood seems rather limited. I wonder if it's an AmEx benefit for any small biz or just those that signed up?
Old Jun 29, 2020, 10:01 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by MaxVO
The number of participating businesses in my neighborhood seems rather limited. I wonder if it's an AmEx benefit for any small biz or just those that signed up?
Same here. The closest one is a restaurant a few miles away (which I happen to frequent so good for me) but I know there are several mom and pop shows around my neighborhood.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 10:03 am

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Direct webpage to sign-in and sign-up:

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/s...020hp-29062020

Websites to lookup merchants that will count:
http://americanexpress.com/shopsmalloffer
http://americanexpress.com/shopsmallonline

The shop small logo will appear on the merchant search results.

Some of the merchant types to think about to check:
-Local restaurants
-Some franchisees of larger quick-serve restaurant chains (where the franchisee sets up their own card processing)
-Small grocery stores
-Small convenience stores
-Small independent auto repair (or local franchisee that does the own card processing)
-Small crafts and retail stores
-Hair/nail salons
-Local dry cleaners
-Independent doctor/dentist offices (co-pays or out of pocket)
-Local plumbing/repair vendors
-Parking lots
-Local religious institutions (for charity donations - although in this situation, the institution is likely miscategorized as charities are officially excluded)
-Those using Elavon, Revel, Toast, Stripe or Square processing systems

DO NOT depend on the results when you do a location search, always try to use the merchant name that you are accustomed to seeing on your card statements. I find many merchants this way that don't show as dots on the region search map.

Must have at least 1 but no more than 25 locations (for brick and-mortar businesses) and have no more than $5M in American Express annual charge volume.
aSiAnRiCk, MaxVO, bizum and 2 others like this.

Last edited by rasheed; Jun 29, 2020 at 10:15 am
Old Jun 29, 2020, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by rasheed

DO NOT depend on the results when you do a location search, always try to use the merchant name that you are accustomed to seeing on your card statements. I find many merchants this way that don't show as dots on the region search map.
I think this is worth bolding. When I looked at the map, some of neighborhood restaurants and shops were not listed, but the magically appeared when searching by name. Thank you for mentioning this, you literally saved me $5 this morning already.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 11:30 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I think this is worth bolding. When I looked at the map, some of neighborhood restaurants and shops were not listed, but the magically appeared when searching by name. Thank you for mentioning this, you literally saved me $5 this morning already.
In the past (I haven't tried lately) I have found the map (at least the app version) to be horribly unreliable, with merchants appearing and disappearing depending on how the map is panned or zoomed in or out.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by highops

Easy $50 credit for me...literally every business in my neighborhood is considered a small business - including the local grocery store - thanks for the free money!
Eastbay1K likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 4:38 pm
Original Member

American Express small business offer is back

American Express small business offer: Enroll by 7/26/20. Get a $5 statement credit by using your enrolled Card to make a single purchase of $10+ at a US business location on the Shop Small Map (or Online Directory) by 9/20/20. Limit of 10 statement credits (total of $50). Terms apply.
  • You must actually enroll your card to get the bonus. Log into your account. The offer should appear with your card. Click on highlighted word "enroll".
  • Should work for any Amex card, but for only one.
  • My local grocery is on the list. Search the map via zip code to find out which businesses will work for you.
  • You should also get whatever else the card offers for the purchase.
Steve M likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 7:00 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by pgary
  • Should work for any Amex card, but for only one.
I was only able to select one AmEx card on my primary account, but my AU with a different username could also select an AmEx card (on the same account).
Old Jun 29, 2020, 8:29 pm

If two cards on the same account are registered, do the 10 uses per card actually need to made on those cards? That is, my wife hardly ever hands over her card, but if I've made 10 qualifying charges on my card, do we need to make sure the next ones are on her card?
Old Jun 29, 2020, 9:59 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
It appears so, 10 credits per registered card number, only one registered AmEx card allowed per person.

Not unusual for AmEx. The issue is not many AUs have their own logins. In the old SBS offers, you need not have a separate login for the AU, that is no longer the case.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 10:10 pm

The deal is being introduced as a Sync Offer this year -- so expect all the usual rules of such offers to apply. You must first pick the card, then "Add" the offer. Most likely it would only be possible to "Add" one card per person/SSN. Then the added cards must be used to make purchases. It's not relevant to the offer if several cards belong to the same account or different account as long as they are listed under the "Added" list. The 10x applies to each synced card, not account.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 11:31 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Confirming what was said above me... unlike the old days this one is now limited to one card per account holder like normal Amex Offers. Of course, it's 10x not 2x, so I'm not upset or anything. Just noting.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 8:15 am

Programs: DL PM 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by rasheed
It appears so, 10 credits per registered card number, only one registered AmEx card allowed per person.

Not unusual for AmEx. The issue is not many AUs have their own logins. In the old SBS offers, you need not have a separate login for the AU, that is no longer the case.
But not all Amex customer reps understand this.

Yesterday I tried to create an account for my wife who is the AU on four of my Amex cards. But, when I entered the card number of one of her cards, it kept returning an error saying I needed to enter a Platinum card number -- which she doesn't have. I called Amex and the rep told me that for the Shop Small offer, I only needed to add it to one of my cards and it would apply to AUs on my account. I kept reading back to him the terms which specifically say that AUs must individually add the offer to their cards. Eventually I just said OK and hung up then called back and got a different rep. She was much more helpful. She stated that AUs definitely need to individually add the offer to their card using their own login. Then she worked some magic and created an account for my wife. My wife added the offer to one of her cards and after that, I was successfully able to add the offer to one of my cards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.